Petzl Meteor helmet magnetic strap attachment dangerous?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Sansum 06 Oct 2016
I have been using a Petzl Meteor helmet for a while, and am wondering whether anyone has experienced the same issue as me. The magnetic chin strap is a great idea, but the mechanism attracts dirt, and when there is dirt or small stones on the magnets the quick release clips will sometimes not close properly - so you think the strap is fixed but it will suddenly come undone without warning. I particularly noticed this on a trip to Yosemite which I have just returned from. Maybe some of the stones there are magnetic and get attracted to the locking mechanism? Anyway, this seems dangerous, and it would be better if they stuck to a simpler design than using the magnets.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris
 HeMa 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Chris Sansum:
Granite is especially prone to do this. How ever, if you occasionally clean the magnets you'll have no problems.

The only real problem is that you try to close the buckle your self, and end up breakin' it...

Oh, and I like the magnet buckle... but prefer the old style, as the few grams shaved might not really be that important in the field.
Post edited at 14:33
 pebbles 06 Oct 2016

yes, I'v experienced this on both the meteor and the sirocco. Its also possible for the magnet to give the impression of the buckle being properly closed when only one of the two prongs is properly engaged - I'v once had my meteor come off on an ice climb, and twice had the sirocco come off. now I know the issue I always give the helmet buckle a little test wiggle after doing it up, but you know what? I really think the magnet is a gimmick too far and detracts from what are apart from that great helmets
 Eciton 06 Oct 2016

> Any thoughts?

What problem is the magnetic buckle solving? None. It is not like you're going to decide mid climb to put your helmet on using only one hand. But it is true that you can close the buckle using only one hand while scratching your balls with the other at the same time.

I really like the meteor but this new magnetic buckle is a bit annoying and as stated causes some problems.

Martin Bennett 06 Oct 2016
In reply to Eciton:

Yes - the classic innovation too far/change for the sake of it/marketing gimmick - an answer looking for a question. I've dismissed all helmets with such fastenings from the list for my next helmet purchase.
 Becky E 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Martin Bennett:

I reunited someone with their Sirocco helmet in Morocco after it fell off their rucksack. The magnet was all covered in magnetic dust. I decided that was enough to make me not want to own a helmet with that kind of fastening.
Removed User 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Eciton:

> What problem is the magnetic buckle solving? None

To give a different perspective, have you tried fumbling a helmet buckle together with numb fingers and thick gloves on? The magnets are great for guiding everything together in winter.
I've not yet had anything stick to mine, but it's something I'll bear in mind.

It's possibly also worth mentioning that my understanding of helmet fitting (climbing, bike etc) is that the helmet should be fitting firmly before the strap is done up - ie using the yoke adjustment. Obviously it's not great if the strap comes undone, or can't do up in the first place, but it shouldn't be the only thing keeping it on your head.
 muppetfilter 07 Oct 2016
In reply to pebbles:

I nearly caught it
 Martin Bennett 07 Oct 2016
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

> have you tried fumbling a helmet buckle together with numb fingers and thick gloves on?

Yes - every Winter (and sometimes in Summer) for the last 51 years.

> my understanding of helmet fitting (climbing, bike etc) is that the helmet should be fitting firmly before the strap is done up - ie using the yoke adjustment. Obviously it's not great if the strap comes undone, or can't do up in the first place, but it shouldn't be the only thing keeping it on your head.

Ain't going to do you much good thus unfastened when you're falling upside down and/or penduluming into a rock wall though is it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...