Fed up with Christmas already

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 26 Sep 2016

The other week I noticed and was mildly irritated by an SCS advert promising delivery "by Christmas", We were scarcely into September and I thought that there really is no need for any sort of mention of Christmas at this time of the year.

Levels of irritation ascended to stratospheric last week when much the same advert appeared and I noticed that there were Christmas trees in the background. They weren't even tasteful, being obviously artificial and decorated with tat.

Bah humbug.
Post edited at 13:47
 Shani 26 Sep 2016
In reply to FesteringSore:

Indeed. How is 'getting a sofa by Xmas' even a thing?
cb294 26 Sep 2016

The supermarkets here in Germany have already started stocking Lebkuchen and Spekulatius (traditional Christmas pastry) as well as mulled wine. Simply perverse.

CB

abseil 26 Sep 2016

> ....Bah humbug.

Is Christmas even happening this year, after Brexit?
 ianstevens 26 Sep 2016

> The other week I noticed and was mildly irritated by an SCS advert promising delivery "by Christmas", We were scarcely into September and I thought that there really is no need for any sort of mention of Christmas at this time of the year.

> Levels of irritation ascended to stratospheric last week when much the same advert appeared and I noticed that there were Christmas trees in the background. They weren't even tasteful, being obviously artificial and decorated with tat.

> Bah humbug.

Dosen't it take 4-6 weeks for a Sofa to be delivered? I'd imagine people order them in preparation for the time they justify sitting on their arses all day every day for a week, so probably a good selling point.

Lemony 26 Sep 2016

I had mince pies on friday, it felt deliciously transgressive.
In reply to Lemony:

Co-op have half an aisle of festive biscuit collections, Christmas puds, reindeer-shaped maltesers etc on sale already.

RSPB at South Stack (Gogarth) have been selling premium Xmas cards since July and claim (though this sounds a bit unbelievable) to have sold £20k already!
 James Malloch 26 Sep 2016
In reply to cb294:

I'd happily have some of that right now - it's great stuff?

How is the climbing around Dresden, out of interest? My partner has family in Dresden/Leipzig but I've never really looked at what's in the area.
 wilkie14c 26 Sep 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> Dosen't it take 4-6 weeks for a Sofa to be delivered? I'd imagine people order them in preparation for the time they justify sitting on their arses all day every day for a week, so probably a good selling point.

no it's because the sofa doesn't even exist at this point, what with so many options available now, colour, trim etc they couldn't possible stock them all so they are made to order.
we ordered ours in oct last year and it didn't arrive until the first week of Jan! the boat carrying the motors for the recliners was diverted apparantly. this pit is in a great position of power however, as they had broken their contact to is by not delivering for xmas, I simply said I wouldn't be signing it and would look for a different one in the sales and I'd fight them for my money back. this resulted in an instant £200 as a gesture of goodwill which ironically was the cost difference between manual and electric recliners!
did have to sit in bean bags all over Christmas though as we didn't have a sofa to begin with :-/
 Ian Parsons 26 Sep 2016
In reply to James Malloch:
> How is the climbing around Dresden, out of interest? My partner has family in Dresden/Leipzig but I've never really looked at what's in the area.

That's a bit like asking whether there's any climbing near Sheffield, at all? The Elbsandsteingebirge is one of the cradles of climbing history!

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/?q=SACHSISCHE+SCHWEIZ
Post edited at 15:48
cb294 26 Sep 2016
In reply to James Malloch:

What! Dresden is one hour from the Elbe sandstone, two hours from the Czech sandstone (add one hour for Leipzig). You should definitely check it out when you are visiting next time!

Just to whet your appetite here are some videos that come up near the top on youtube:

youtube.com/watch?v=fgBwQw_XLEE&

youtube.com/watch?v=mg5LOLsQGXQ&

CB
 Nick Alcock 26 Sep 2016
In reply to cb294:

That looks fantastic! And no chalk in use.

How have I missed this?

D
 Wsdconst 26 Sep 2016

I saw rum truffles, mince pies and Christmas cake for sale in morrisons on Saturday, I don't like how shops start selling Christmas stuff so early on in the year, by the time Christmas comes around everyone's fed up of hearing about it.
 Xharlie 26 Sep 2016
In reply to cb294:

The supermarkets near me in Nuremburg haven't started stocking Glühwein, yet. They're filled with Lebkuchen, but that's not all that unusual for Nuremburg which produces the stuff all year round. (I know this because I was craving a 'boot' of Glühwein last week, after a very long and rainy cycle in the cold, and ended up making my own. Mine tastes better than the supermarket's, as it happens, and making it yourself also affords you the opportunity to eat the orange slices left in the pot - a rather delicious treat. It isn't as convenient as pre-made stuff but it is definitely possible to make it from whole spices.)

Here in Nuremburg, Federweiße is still in and Glühwein hasn't appeared, yet. Add to that the presence of pumpkins and butternut and it feels like autumn - harvest season - not Christmas.
cb294 26 Sep 2016
In reply to Xharlie:
Yes, don£t drink the Christkindlsmarkt Gl£hwein, it is vile stuff! I normally take a good Merlot that I would also drink non-mulled, squeeze some fresh oranges, and boil the whole thing for a few minutes with generous amounts of cloves, cinnamon, cardamon, and a bit of sugar. Still, at 20 degrees in the afternoon the very thought of Gl£hwein makes me sick. No is the season for Federweisser (young, half fermented white wine) and Zwiebelkuchen! If you are near Nuremberg you should also try the carp around this time of year, it is a specialty of the regions either east or west of the city (Aischgrund and middle Oberpfalz).

CB

just read your post again and saw that you mentioned federweisser. No points for reading comprehension....
Post edited at 20:50
 Xharlie 26 Sep 2016
In reply to cb294:

We squeeze the oranges into the wine and then chuck the segments into the pot for good measure, giving the Glühwein flavour from both the juice and the skin. Our recipe doesn't include cardamom but does include whole Piment, cinnamon and cloves. That said, I did wonder whether cardamom would go nicely with the recipe - it fits in with my understanding of spices. I'll definitely try it, next time round.

Our recipe comes from South African. I haven't used it since I left, until last week. We did realise that SA wine is a lot dryer than the red wine we found at Rewe - we used to add sugar to the SA wine but adding sugar to the wine we bought in Germany made it far too sweet. Tasty, but too sweet. (This might also be a symptom of a change in our own tastes, since we have become fans of the German bakeries who make slices piled inches-high with cherries and somehow more "fruity" than "sweet".)

Luckily, we have the whole of winter to perfect our technique. By Christmas, we'll be experts.

Zwiebelkuchen? Das kenne ich noch nicht!
cb294 26 Sep 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Zwiebelkuchen is a yeast dough like for pizza covered with a sauce made of plenty slightly blanched onion rings, some fried, cubed bacon, sour cream, Kuemmel (not cumin!), pepper, and salt. Some people like to add an egg to make the topping a bit more solid. The Franconian version is a bit thicker than the related Flammkuchen from Alsace.

CB
 Timmd 26 Sep 2016
In reply to cb294:
I went to the Alsace region on a family holiday during my teens, since my Dad was/is into his wines. He laments a bit that there's less smaller vineyards and small scale wine makers than there used to be in Germany during the 80's, leaving less diversity in the wines available to buy.

Which probably means if you're a wine fan, going to a country which is still full of little vineyards and is a bit of a backwater could be the thing to do, if you 'want to explore' as it were.
Post edited at 23:24
Removed User 27 Sep 2016

Went in to a supermarket today (in Germany) and was greeted by a wall of plastic tubs containing Hero's, Celebration's, etc.

Yep Christmas is defo here.

I saw an LED 'christmas tree' in the window of the co-op funeral directors last night...

Too soon...?

Yes.
In reply to cb294:

'Onion cake'?

Hungry now...
 inboard 27 Sep 2016
In reply to cb294:

Zwiebelkuchen sounds amazing! I love flammkuchen.

We're needing to find somewhere in Franconia for an overnight in mid-Dec, breaking the drive Amsterdam-Salzburg. Any recommendations for reasonably cheap accommodation, close to the A3 or A73 around Erlangen, that would serve zwiebelkuchen?
 graeme jackson 27 Sep 2016

had the misfortune to be in Dobbies Garden centre on Saturday (crossford, Lanarkshire) and found that almost 2/3rds of the store had been taken over by Christmas tat. Couldn't find any lawn fertiliser as the place it normally sits has been taken over by some large porcelain santa clauses. One thing that I did see that obviously appeals to the aspirational scot were 'cuddly toy' deer heads to mount on the wall as per stately homes - terrified my Grandkids
cb294 27 Sep 2016
In reply to inboard:

No idea, as my parents live close to Erlangen, so have never had a need for accomodation. I would definitely avoid the A3, as it is a perma traffic jam all the way from Frankfurt to Nuremberg (as it is being expanded to three lanes each way), better to go east a bit further North and then down theA7, across via the A70, and down via the A73. If you do this, you could stop near Bamberg, the town is definitely worth a short sightseeing walk and has many excellent restaurants and especially brewery pubs (the associate beer gardens are even nicer, but not in December....). I am sure you can find a small "Pension"or "Gasthof" in any of the small villages just West or North, e.g. Gaustadt, Bischberg or Eltmann. Bamberg itself is likely to be a bit more expensive.

CB
 ianstevens 27 Sep 2016
In reply to wilkie14c:

Well every day is a school day! I did wonder if they were made to order - anyway, makes sense as to why they advertise about pre-christmas delivery around now.
 Fredt 27 Sep 2016
In reply to ianstevens:

> Dosen't it take 4-6 weeks for a Sofa to be delivered? I'd imagine people order them in preparation for the time they justify sitting on their arses all day every day for a week, so probably a good selling point.

For the first time in years our entire family will be descending from all corners of the globe for Christmas. We're gonna need a bigger dining table.

It is already proving extremely difficult to get any supplier to guarantee delivery before Christmas, so its a real issue even for those not planning on sitting on their arses for a week.
 inboard 27 Sep 2016
In reply to cb294:

Thanks - I'd intended to avoid the A3, we've been stuck there before, so good to have local confirmation. Will have a look around Bamberg und umgebung for a pension.

Looking forward to trying some onion cakes!

Lemony 27 Sep 2016
In reply to cb294:
Zwiebelkuchen is indeed great. I like it less spiced, no egg and with crumbled baked ham rather than bacon. I do a sour version of it from time to time too which is really good.
Post edited at 10:17
 Xharlie 27 Sep 2016
In reply to inboard:

Brauerei Gasthof Wiethaler in Neunhof would be my first recommendation. I can't speak about their Zwiebelkuchen but their Schäufele is the best in the region and their beer (their own) is pretty good. Their Haxe is also great.
paulcarey 27 Sep 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

mmmm Federweisse....
cb294 27 Sep 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

That is pretty upmarket! Any chance you have a Siemens expense account? The Schäufele is good, though....

CB
 inboard 27 Sep 2016
In reply to Xharlie:

Mmmmm - I've been to the Wiethaler before (sadly not on Siemens account!), and yes fantastic Schäufele... thanks for the reminder about it, but for this trip its not quite ideal (the plan, weather/ conditions permitting, is for a fast and efficient overnight stop just off the autobahn, then an early start the following morning, hoping for a short tour in the Chiemgau before heading into Austria).

In fact I've found what seems to be an OK place in Willersdorf - Hotel Rittmayer. Their own beer, and the speisekarte looks acceptable. Can cancel it though if either of you chaps with local knowledge know anything negative about it...
 Toerag 27 Sep 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> Went in to a supermarket today (in Germany) and was greeted by a wall of plastic tubs containing Hero's, Celebration's, etc.

I hate the globalization of food - Cadbury/Mars seem to be taking over everywhere in europe .

I think any reference to Xmas should be banned until you can pick ripe sweet chestnuts off UK trees, which means that it will be cold enough for me to justify putting on the burner, wrapping the lovelies in foil, covering them with salt and enjoying them with some single malt.
 Dax H 27 Sep 2016

Until reading this Christmas was well off my radar.
But I read this this morning and thus afternoon my office rang to ask me to sanction the company Christmas party at a specific bar and grill and asking if I was going.
I told them to do what they wanted but I'm not committing to anything christmassy for myself in bloody September.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...