1/2 man tent recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnV 16 Sep 2016
I am after a new tent, 1 or 2 man for trekking in Patagonia in January. Must be reasonably light, pitched flysheet first design, and up to 300 quid.

Cheers!
ultrabumbly 16 Sep 2016
In reply to JohnV:

How exposed are the pitches likely to be? If you don't need a real mountain tent then without doubt, the best bang for buck weight wise and dosh wise. is the Scarp 1. The latest interior will take 2 with ease. With the cross pole kit it is fairly wind batter proof. It's not a mountain tent proper but it is very very capable.

https://www.tarptent.com/scarp1.html
 Dauphin 16 Sep 2016
In reply to JohnV:

Depends what you are doing. It can get pretty windy, but which treks are you doing? Spent four and a half months down there. Pitch inner first> Meh. Not really worth the usually increased weight or cost. I had some kind of bomb proof Vaude pitch fly first thing but it was overkill and heavy for what it was. But I wasn't pitching it below mountain colls.

D
hamish-haynes 17 Sep 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Yes it's me! Couldn't email you or reply to yr comment as I saw it too late/waited to long and it was all archived. Hope you're well mate!
 johnt 17 Sep 2016
In reply to JohnV:

I think that if you can get a little bit of a discount of the RRP, a Macpac Minaret would be worth considering... flysheet and inner can be pitched together and it is a 4-season tent...
 Damo 18 Sep 2016
In reply to JohnV:

Depends on what you're doing and for how long, but even trekking there can get pretty wild, weather-wise. I did the W trek in the Paine, before a climbing expedition, and it rained for two days. One night, at the 2nd-last campsite, in the forest, it rained so much the whole area ran with water an inch or two deep. Our Bibler Tempest (on a relatively well-chosen site) started to float, anchored by pegs! but most of the trekkers had cheap tents and just got flooded, mucking up their entire day and trip, whereas we just got up early and moved on.
 ChrisH89 18 Sep 2016
In reply to ultrabumbly:

Second that suggestion, Scarp1 is great.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...