Synthetic sleeping bag (Laminina Flame)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andrewmc 11 Aug 2016

I am considering buying this sleeping bag (I have decided that down is not really vegetarian, yes I know I'm not eating it, so synthetics will have to do):

https://www.tauntonleisure.com/mountain-hardwear-women-039-s-laminina-z-fla...

According to the manufacturer:
EN Comfort -6 C
EN Limit -12 C
1.56 kg

Note that for the Laminina bags (the women's ones; I am only 5' 7") they go by the Comfort, not the Limit, so the Flame has the same insulation (200g, presumably per square metre) as the Lamina Z Torch and the old Hyperlamina Torch. The Hyperlamina Torch is rated to -9, -15 (despite having identical insulation) but is only 1.47kg; it does however only have a half zip and no DWR treatment. For some reason the bags got heavier going from Hyperlamina to Lamina Z, but being able to get a woman's bag makes up for some of the weight increase... the Hyperlamina is also much more expensive and rapidly disappearing!

How you rate this bag (just based on the temperature grades) for:
Alpine summer (in the valley - possibly overkill)
Alpine summer (at altitude)
Scottish winter
Alpine winter (presumably nowhere near enough?)?

I have a Neoair XTherm so it would probably be used with that. I have an old Lamina (rated to 2C I think but not EN) which is just over a kg but seems a really nicely made bag; I could always bring that as well if I needed all the warmth as it is a bit big for me really.

Would it be better to bump up to the Laminina Torch (2.01 kg) which seems excessive given that it only increases the insulation by 25% and goes to a -9 C, -15 C rating? Then at that point you can add only 40g to go to the mens Lamina Z Blaze, which has the same insulation (250g/m^2) but no EN rated temperature (just '-15', presumably -15F or -26C and bearing no resemblance to the EN temperatures) or the Lamina Z Bonfire (300 g/m^2) at 2.29kg (again no EN rating, just '-30' and again presumably -30F or -34C). So many confusing options!

Any other suggestions for lightweight synthetic bags that might be more/less suited (I realise I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with it, but probably Alpine summer at altitude, probably in a tent, is what I am aiming for, with winter Alpine being a bonus possibly with a filler bag)...
Post edited at 00:37
 marsbar 11 Aug 2016
In reply to andrewmcleod:

I'm 5'5" and I have standard sleeping bags, not women's. Have you tried a woman's one to make sure it's long enough?

I have 2 MH lamina bags, one the warmest I could get and one the size of a bean tin for summer. Happy with both of them but they are old and I can't comment on the new ones.

SenzuBean 11 Aug 2016

I didn’t read all the stats you posted, but wanted to say that the best way to manage warmth is to think of it as a “sleep system”, rather than as components. Some other options could be putting a thin sleeping bag inside your existing one (I recommend the OMM mountain raid 1.6, I use in winter to bump up the warmth of my 3 season bag), or sleeping in a belay jacket (then you are also warm around camp) + thick sleep socks + balaclava (feet and head & neck feel the cold the most, so keeping them extra warm pays more dividends).
Yet another option is to get un ultralight foam mat (160 grams or so) and put it under your thermarest - that will increase its R value significantly, and let your bag work better, and give you a sit mat.
OP andrewmc 11 Aug 2016
In reply to marsbar:
I can try on that bag before I buy it; they do also do a long women's one (or I could just get the regular or the old one).

Simpler question:

Pick an EN standard, either Comfort or Comfort Limit. Assuming a good mat, what kind of temperature rating would you want for:
1) comfortable tent camping
2) moderately unpleasant bivvying
for
a) summer alpine at altitude
b) winter alpine at altitude

I have all these EN ratings but little idea how they correlate with reality (how cold do the Alps get in summer/winter?)
Post edited at 12:26
 marsbar 11 Aug 2016

I haven't camped in the Alps so I'm not much help really. Hopefully someone else will know. The other make of synthetic sleeping bag I used to have was snugpak. Not sure if they are still going.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...