Which walking pole for expedition?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jamesfrome 16 Jul 2016
Hi there.

I am going to Peak Lenin in August and am looking to combine an ice axe with a walking pole.

I am 6 foot 2. I have not used a walking pole before - do you have any recommendations for this kind of trip? Is this the best combo?

I am a bit lost with this one.

Best,

James.
 jezb1 16 Jul 2016
In reply to jamesfrome:

Black Diamond Z poles, check them out. Work well and fold up nice and small when not in use.
LakeDistrictMountaineer 16 Jul 2016
In reply to jamesfrome:
> Hi there.

> I am going to Peak Lenin in August and am looking to combine an ice axe with a walking pole.

> I am 6 foot 2. I have not used a walking pole before - do you have any recommendations for this kind of trip? Is this the best combo?

> I am a bit lost with this one.

> Best,

> James.

Who are you going with James?
Post edited at 23:48
 Damo 17 Jul 2016
In reply to jamesfrome:
Any type simple, light and packs (folds/telescopes) up short, so you can fit it in duffle bags and packs. Too many poles now have fancy grips and shock systems, but they're useless and added weight and expense. Poles break, you lose them in rivers etc. Keep it simple.

But use two. One with an axe is fine for the slopes of Lenin, but for the walk from BC to C1 it's like a regular trek and two poles help your knees, help stability on loose scree and help with river crossings. There are some dangerously loose scree slopes above the section to C1 (i.e. rockfall) and also one dicey river crossing.

For Lenin I can understand you taking your own poles, but for Himalayan trips now I just usually buy a cheap pair in KTM or wherever and give them to porters/horsemen at the end of the trip. Saves lugging them home and you don't have to worry about losing or breaking a pricey name brand model bought in the high street.
Post edited at 02:06
 nathan79 17 Jul 2016
In reply to jamesfrome:

Anything flick-lock rather than screw-lock in my opinion. More reliable. I've got Black Diamond Expedition poles, love them. ~£60 a pair.
OP jamesfrome 17 Jul 2016
In reply to LakeDistrictMountaineer:

Hi!

I am with one friend. We are not going with a company. We are unguided.

Best,

James.
 StuDoig 17 Jul 2016
In reply to jezb1:

Blegh. wouldn't touch these poles now! I've had 2 sets fail (green rubber coating over the kevlar fatiguing and cutting through) in the last year. Local shop I bough them from has stopped stocking them as well as they've had so many returns ! Love the concept and use leki versions of the same design, but these seem to last more than a few months before failing.

Seeing all the QC problems BD have had in the last year I did wonder if it's part of the same overal lack of effective QC.

Cheers!

Stu

PS was me that "disliked" your post, though it's the product that the the dislike is aimed at - thought I should quantify the dislike!!

OP jamesfrome 17 Jul 2016
In reply to jamesfrome:

Thanks for all the advice guys. That has really helped!!! I will have a look on ebay ….
 BnB 17 Jul 2016
In reply to StuDoig:

I'll second that viewpoint. My Z poles had a bad habit of freezing open or closed on the hill in winter and a propensity to lock decisively in a store cupboard if not subjected to a level of care and maintenance that is beyond me.

Simple flick lock poles is where I've returned, although I've cut down the lengths of each section so that they can be fully secreted in a pack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...