heal pain when running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 im off 20 Jun 2016

Hi.
I'm a 45 year old who runs 20 miles a week there abouts. For the past 6 mnths have had pain on the point of my heal but not under foot or in achilles. Hurts on point pressure. Hurts when run but comes and goes. Gets better with rest but comes straight back quick when run again. Think it's bursitis?
So I've gone to cycling and there's no pain at all. However, I don't really want to quit running.
Is it worth seeing a podiatrist? Or is it a case of accepting and quiting running. Can they work miracles on old battered feet.
I also go through achilles flare ups from time to time. Always have good trainers. Warm up etc.
Time to change to the bike?
Post edited at 09:28
Clauso 20 Jun 2016
In reply to im off:

So, you're looking to heal heel pain?... I can't help, other than with correcting your spelling
 Tall Clare 20 Jun 2016
In reply to im off:

Go see a podiatrist. They're trained to work with all sorts of feet, old and young.
One observation I'd make from my experience is that some are better than others (as in any profession!) and that if you can find someone who can help get to the root of your problem, and will look at not just mechanical means (e.g. orthotics) but also exercises to help sort you out, so much the better.
 tony 20 Jun 2016
In reply to im off:

Does it hurt, or feel tender, first thing in the morning? My initial thought would be plantar fasciitis, in which case it can be a bugger to clear up, but long rest is an important part of the recovery process. Calf stretches would be useful - they'll help with a sore achilles as well.

But a professional diagnosis would be best. As Clare says, there are good ones and less good ones, so try to get a personal recommendation if possible.
 StefanB 20 Jun 2016
In reply to im off:

Sounds like plantar fascitis. Mine cleared away after a while by treating calf and soleo daily, runnnig less and doing other stuff for fitness (cycling, swimming).
Podiatrists proved useless, apart for diagnostics. Physios and massage therapists are more uesfull in my experience, but expensive and you need to find a good one.

Siderunner 20 Jun 2016

After six months of pain I'd expect a few weeks rest to be on the agenda. Taking the long term view is wise.

I'd definitely go to a physio as my first port of call. The usual pattern is: rest and manipulation for a couple of weeks while starting very light strengthening or stretching; then gradually more strength and stretching work; once pain is gone and progress has been made on the key movements, a very gradual return to running. I'd think about biking, swimming, ,or climbing to maintain fitness in the meantime. Could also consider pilates or yoga as a stop gap especially if your posture is less than perfect: quite fun and a good way to prevent various possible future injuries

Worth considering your approach to running to see if there's anything you could change in future once you're better. E.g. Over-striding would cause more heel impact. Inadequate warm up is a common contributor to injuries. Old shoes, or ones that aren't suited to your gait and alignment. Not mixing up the paces and distances you run is another common issue, an extreme example is a friend who always ran the same route and tried to PR it every time(!). [sorry, just re read you post and the middle 2 obv don't apply]
Post edited at 11:05
OP im off 20 Jun 2016
In reply to Siderunner:

Thanks all above. Bad speller for sure. All my problems go when I switch to cycling. Think I'm becoming an old git who needs to change what he does. Going to cycle and if no better go spend money down the physio. Been there b4 with different ankle issues. Bad bad collateral tears after tumbling down approach to corrie an Lochain. I have quite a short hobbling stride but yes I do the same runs and pace.
Off to get some glucosamine now. Placebo effect .
 Tall Clare 20 Jun 2016
In reply to im off:

A 'home remedy' that was recommended to me when I had plantar fasciitis was to roll one of those spiky massage balls under my foot. The spikiness was good, but if I remember rightly a golf ball would work about as well. If you think that is the problem, it might be worth a try.
 spotter1 28 Jun 2016
In reply to im off:

have you bought new shoes ? what is the heel-toe drop ?
lately shoes get updated only to have a lower drop (as part of the dangerous barefoot style influence).
moving to lower drop shoes suddenly can cause achilles tendon problems.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...