Alpkit Numo/ Lumo for Nepal (three weeks)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
marcus.nepal 11 Jun 2016
hi everyone,

so i am going on a trip to Nepal for three weeks in the summer, do you think that an Alpkit Numo or a Lumo would be good for everyday use? we wont be sleeping on harsh terrain. I will also be using an Klymit Cush as a pillow.
 TobyA 11 Jun 2016
In reply to marcus.nepal:

How cold is likely to be? Will you be up on the snow? Numo's are comfy and light but don't insulate very well. If the temperatures is in the low single figures or colder I think you'll want a warmer mat.

http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/physics-you-can-sleep-on-de... Alpkit have changed the design since then - they've taken out the insulation as I guess it wasn't only my mats where it delaminated. So they are even lighter now, still dead comfy, but just not very warm.
marcus.nepal 12 Jun 2016
In reply to TobyA:

thanks,

I will be in the valleys mainly so there will be no need for insulation
 TobyA 12 Jun 2016
In reply to marcus.nepal:

Fine - in which case the Lumo is light, compact, cheap and comfy so you won't go too far wrong. They can leak it seems, others on here have reported that, and one of mine failed on the seam by the valve. Alpkit were very good as normal and just sent me new one and the two we have now have been used a lot over a number of years with no leaks or punctures, but make sure you sleep on a new one a couple of times before heading off as the seam failure was very hard to find (needed a swimming pool!) and harder to fix (loads of seam grip worked for some time).

But I'd stress again, if you think the temp is going to get down to even just 5 or 6 degrees, I reckon you might find the mat feel rather cold. One of the other Thermarest type mats from Alpkit (or elsewhere) might then be a better bet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...