Favourite Lake District Valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 31 May 2016
We were in Duddon over the weekend, it's been a couple of years since I was last there and I had forgotten how fantastic it is. On what was a very busy Lake District weekend it was still fairly quiet as well. A brief visit to my brother, who was staying at Coniston Hall, because he wanted lake access to launch a boat, showed the hell that the Lakes on a bank holiday weekend can be.
In reply to The New NickB:

Heavens, there's a question. Martindale, perhaps, or Coledale. Or on another day, perhaps Ennerdale.

T.

For me langdale... I may be bias as my family lived there when i was a child. But I was there on Saturday and walked to scafell pike via Ill crag, scafell itself was a complete circus but Langdale seemed quiet (though we were there early and left late)

BnB 31 May 2016

The first rule of the Duddon Valley is there is no...
 summo 31 May 2016

Eskdale or watendlath.
 andy 31 May 2016

Deffo Duddon. Used to ride up there from Ulverston on my Puch Maxi moped when I was 16 and go soloing on Wallowbarrow. Best campsite and pub on the planet as well.
 Toccata 31 May 2016

Historically it was Langdale that made me fall in love with the Lakes. Growing up the West Highlands were my back yard and a few trips to the Lakes made me wonder why anyone would want to come to such a busy, populated place (this was in the days where getting parked in Glencoe wasn't a problem). However I realised the Lakes were not about solitude but more being part of lots of like-minded people and the prospect of live music at the Sticklebarn or real ale in the ODG made it all click. And, through the chatter and traffic fumes, it's really rather nice.

However if I can extend Moasdale to include the Esk tributary then this is mine. Often deserted, a days walking can be a big pull round the horseshoe or a gentle scramble or two. A spot of bouldering can be picked up in a hot day and some fun can be found when it freezes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...