Brecon Beacons - favourite wild camping spots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 23 May 2016
Hi,

Looking to do some backpacking with my teenage daughter and dog over the bank holiday - would appreciate any tips, feel free to PM as I know discretion is the key for these spots I know security can be an issue at some parking areas, so any intel gratefully received. FWIW I'm a responsible hill goer re. rubbish, lattrines, dog etc. Thanks
Moley 23 May 2016
In reply to iksander:

Without being too specific, the Western end of the Beacons (black mountain area) has plenty of opportunities and avoids the crowds, approaching from Llandausant side and relatively safe parking.
 Welsh Kate 23 May 2016
In reply to iksander:

What Moley says, but you can pay a few quid to leave your car at the Dan yr Ogof showcave carpark / campsite in Glyntawe and access Mynydd Du from there. Added bonus of visiting the showcaves if the weather cr@ps out, and seeing the incongruous dinosaurs!
 Trangia 23 May 2016
In reply to iksander:
I've got several wild camping spots in the Brecons, and the reason that they are my favourites is because they are truly wild, and the reason that they are wild is because I don't publicise their locations!

Sorry, I'm not being deliberately unhelpful, but so far as any wild camping goes I believe that's the way it should be.

However as a hint I strongly recommend that you pore over a map and using that find your own potential spots - that's the fun and magic of a wild camping backpacking holiday.

That's exactly what I did many years ago with my teenage son and we had a great time. Do involve your daughter in the planning, if she's like my son was, she will appreciate being involved to that extent.

Good luck and happy camping!
Post edited at 17:39
 Rob Naylor 24 May 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Concur with Trangia. I too have several favourite spots, which I used to camp at with my son when he was a teenager.

A map, a decent estimate of a specified walking distance from where you park up and an eye for a likely spot (water, flat area, shelter from high winds, etc) will enable you to plan out 3-4 possible spots, at least one of which should be suitable/ unoccupied.
 Dom Whillans 24 May 2016
In reply to iksander:

i'll bite... based on the fact that most people who are after wild camping spots in the beacons actually want them less than a couple of Km from a road, have a search for sinc y giedd (sp) - it's a very interesting place to camp for a reason that you'll have to experience yourself.
 Tony the Blade 24 May 2016
In reply to iksander:

I cracking place to base yourself is at Cwm Llwch - GR: SO 0064 2444

It isn't a wild camp, but it isn't a camp site either as there are no facilities. It is just a field that the farmer allows you to camp in, he'll come round early evening and take a couple of quid off you for the use of his field. The plus points are that there is a stream, you get to leave the car while you walk during the day and you are allowed fires. I usually take my hammock and string it between a couple of trees, and light a fire on the stones of the river bed. You are ideally placed for walking the big 4 (Corn Du, Peny Fan, Cribyn and Fan y Big).

Enjoy
Moley 24 May 2016
In reply to Tony the Blade:

Cwm Llwch, a good call for starters.

Another thing about wild camping is that if you head for a certain spot and it is occupied - you're b*****d. I tend to do a walk/trip with an open mind and stop when it feels right, if you have a predetermined destination it can so easily go t**s up and then you panic and the enjoyment is lost as you walk into the night looking for another..........
I find it best to pick a route with suitable looking places on it (good ground, water, sun) and then drop in to one when you feel like it. Keep an open mind.
pasbury 25 May 2016
In reply to Dom Whillans:

> i'll bite... based on the fact that most people who are after wild camping spots in the beacons actually want them less than a couple of Km from a road, have a search for sinc y giedd (sp) - it's a very interesting place to camp for a reason that you'll have to experience yourself.

I'm intrigued but I suspect you're not going to tell me any more
 Brass Nipples 25 May 2016
In reply to iksander:

Find your own Wilson spots. That the beauty of them, secret places that remain special.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...