Iphone app grid reference in the alps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tim Davies 25 Apr 2016
Anyone recommend me an iphone app for finding my position with a map (French/ Swiss grid) friendly position?

I have a similar app that works very well in the uk- just gives a Grid ref.
 HeMa 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Tim Davies:

The Grid refs you use in UK are not generally used elsewhere in Yurp. Most seem happy with just WGS84, which oddly enough almost all smartphones give out natively... iphone included.
craigloon 25 Apr 2016
In reply to Tim Davies:
Tomstrails GPS is pretty good. Full range of grid and datum options, including UTM and UK.
Post edited at 21:42
jspinks 27 Apr 2016
In reply to craigloon:

The French mapping organisation is IGN - much like OS in the UK. The maps marked as "GPS Compatible" provide a UTM grid based on the WGS84 datum. Swiss maps provided by Swisstopo use a unique grid system based on CH1903. Tomstrails GPS Pro - which craigloon kindly suggested (thanks craigloon) supports both formats.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am the developer of the Tomstrails navigation apps.

OP Tim Davies 27 Apr 2016
In reply to jspinks:
Thanks for that. Seems what I need- just a set of digits to fix a position.

The lack of links to Wikipedia is also appreciated............
jspinks 27 Apr 2016
In reply to Tim Davies:
You are very welcome.

One small word of caution. If you find yourself straying over into Italy the situation is a little more complex. There are several map publishers you may come across all of whom print a UTM grid on the map, however, the datum may be different. Some will be WGS-84 and others will be ED50 (sometimes known as European 1950). Always check the legend on the map which should tell you which to use. The variation is small, but enough to get you into trouble - some might suggest that if your using an Italian map your already in trouble
 wbo 27 Apr 2016
In reply to Tim Davies:
given your dislike of wiki links I'm sure you'd appreciate a link to the page describing the difference between WGS84 and ED 50 in practice. It is, I think about 200m n/s and about 70 ew around. Mt blanc.

U.K. National grid and the others are rather square projections and only work at home. If you were to extend Nat Grid to Chamonix the error would be pretty hefty.

Didn't Italy use a projection centered on a church at monte Mario?
Post edited at 17:24

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...