Sleeping bag for toddler??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Caralynh 05 Mar 2016
Hi, does anyone know where I can get a warm 2-3 season bag for a toddler? Our daughter is 18 months, but doesn't sleep in the Grobag baby bags anymore, and neither Decathlon nor Go Outdoors had anything small enough today. Last time we camped with her was October when she still went in a baby bag, but we want to get out again soon and she needs to be warm but unrestricted.
If any other parents are selling sthg suitable, please also let me know x
Removed User 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Caralynh:

Clicked on this one as I thought from the title that you were looking for a swap. Was about to give you a right telling off.

As an aside, can't you get an old full size one that fits the bill and then run a sewing machine across the middle of it and cut off the excess. Just a thought.
 marsbar 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Caralynh:

Vango do some. Nieces recommend them and have been known to sleep in them on the floor next to their beds when not camping.
 ankyo 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Caralynh:
Wrap a belt round a full size bag?
 Denni 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Caralynh:

When our daughter was 18 months -2 years old, we did 2 things. Cut an old but good full sized bag in half and sewed it together and it worked a treat.

We also used an old tog 12 single quilt, laid her down, cut to size so as not to restrict and made a sleeping bag out of that which worked better (ie kept her warmer) than the sleeping bag idea.

Hope this helps, happy camping :0)
OP Caralynh 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Sometimes a swap seems like a good idea, certainly!! Especially today when she thought running through all the tents in Go, and hiding, was a fun activity. I was exhausted just watching her!

In reply to Removed Usermarsbar and others, thanks, I'll have a look at the Vango
 Sealwife 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Caralynh:

We had one of those Vango Nightstar ones when our girls were small. Lovely cosy little bag, though it freaked my youngest one out - she hates being restricted when trying to sleep. Of course we didn't discover this until we actually tried to get her to sleep in it on a trip. Ended up covering her in towels and jackets I think.
OP Caralynh 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Sealwife:

Yes that's my only concern. She refuses to be covered at all in bed, so usually sleeps on top of a duvet, in fleecy pjs. I'm thinking if I put her down asleep on an opened bag, I can sneakily zip her up when asleep. She may have other ideas of course! Anyway, I've just ordered a little Vango bag so we'll see
 Sealwife 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Caralynh:

Fleecy onesie and a small duvet, snuggled up next to you might be the way to go. It's astonishing how noisy a zip can be when you are trying to be surreptitious.
 Heike 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Caralynh:
Hi,
Our wee man never took to them at this age although we had a great bag given to us from a friend as a present. We ended up having him sleep in a nice fleece suit (with nice warm underwear) on top of a 2/3 thermarest with a blanket on top and his nice fat down duvet on top. Sorted. He was always roasting...And happy to be snuggled between us. Til about age 4, now (he is 6 1/2) uses my Greenland down sleeping bag ( down to -25) in any condition and is happy as larry as he can fit numerous cuddly toys in as well...

Post edited at 22:12
 ben b 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Caralynh:
Our youngest ended up in one of these bought cheap in a sale:

https://www.rei.com/product/835591/big-agnes-little-red-15-sleeping-bag-kid...

The big advantage is that because the mattress is in a sleeve down the back of the bag they cannot roll off the mat in the night, and can spin round as much as they like but the bag stays in place. I have to say it's a genius design. So comfy he's racked up hundreds of nights in it in the past 5 years.

They seem to have changed the design recently:
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/littlered152016 and I'm not sure if anywhere in the UK stocks Big Agnes bags.

Incidentally, his bigger brother has progressed to an REI Lumen bag which somehow manages to be synthetic, warm, cheap and small pack size - an apparently impossible combination!

b
Post edited at 22:15
 Stig 05 Mar 2016
In reply to Caralynh:
Just went to check as my sons asleep in it now... It's a Hi gear ridgeline convertible. We bought it in go outdoors in Octobrrrr 2014. I remember this very specifically as we stayed in a teepee in the lakes for a week and I thought I was going to freeze to death in my own 3 season bag. He slept like a log. Anyway he's a big six yr old now and has it extended but I'm pretty sure my petite 3 yr old would be fine with the base zipped up. HTH.
 marsbar 06 Mar 2016
In reply to Caralynh:

That's the great thing about being an Auntie. Playing in all the tents sounds like fun to me!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...