Rab Storm Bivi - Sweatier than a bin bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 neuromancer 09 Feb 2016
Bought one of these to try as a slightly more durable replacement for my Alpkit Hunka, and a lighter weight option than my british army issue bivi.

Unfortunately, whilst I sleep reasonably comfortably, with the zip completely open I wake up and the inside base of the bivi is so soaked with sweat/condensation that my sleeping bag is visibly dark and wet and there's probably enough to pour out into a few shot glasses.

Is this just crap cheap kit?
 Siward 09 Feb 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

Where bivis are concerned, I think only goretex or event will do. Particularly if undertaking planned bivis in Scottish rain, as opposed to using it as a bit of emergency kit.
 MattJ753 09 Feb 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

I found exactly the same. Have since gone for the lightest Rab pertex one which I doubt is even waterproof, but hopefully snow proof!
 gethin_allen 09 Feb 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

My limited experience with using a bivi bag suggests you get a bit wet no matter what you spend. I've since bought a cheap 1 man tent and will be happy to carry the extra weight for the luxury of being comfortable.
OP neuromancer 10 Feb 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

I'm not getting wet due to inclement weather, and I didn't use to get wet in a thick bin bag army bivi OR the alpkit. Guess i'll just save up for an event bivi.
 CurlyStevo 10 Feb 2016
In reply to neuromancer:
I didn't get an issue with my rab survival zone in the alps and I tend to be fairly sweaty, but it was cold and dry. I wouldn't like to use these in warm / mild / humid conditions!
Post edited at 11:04
 Brass Nipples 10 Feb 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

> I'm not getting wet due to inclement weather, and I didn't use to get wet in a thick bin bag army bivi OR the alpkit. Guess i'll just save up for an event bivi.

or save for a thick bin bag!
Removed User 10 Feb 2016
In reply to neuromancer:

I've had a Rab Storm for several years now, used a handful of times a year either as protection for the sleeping bag in grubby bothies or for sleeping out on the open hill if the forecast is good. In practice I experience little or no condensation as long as I avoid breathing into the bag; if I have to zip it up, some condensation is inevitable, but I suspect that would be the same with any bivi. The only time I have had noticeable condensation while not breathing into the bag was on a clear frosty autumn night when dew formed on the outside of the bivi and then froze, which would certainly inhibit breathability. I was also using my down bag and not my 2 season synthetic, so while I was toasty warm there probably wasn't enough body heat escaping from it to force water vapour through the bivi fabric. This wasn't much of a problem as only the outer shell of the down bag got a bit damp, and it soon dried out when draped over a boulder in the morning sun while I had breakfast. I'm sure an eVent bag would be much better, but it's also much more expensive. Bivvying is a hit and miss affair at the best of times. If you want to stay perfectly dry, take a tent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...