REVIEW: Doug Scott - Up and About

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 02 Feb 2016
A picture of Doug Scott taken by Chris Bonington during the Everest 1975 expedition., 4 kbThis is a good book, well written and engaging, very much typifying the understated British mountaineer, and somehow including some incredible achievements, yet making them sounds like everyone could reach those heights.

Scott's wonderfully matter of fact prose, which is an absolute antidote to today's hype, is juxtaposed with short bursts of interesting description that open a window to his real character and his experiences on the top of the world, where he speaks of 'tapping in to morphic fields'...

Read more

Doug 03 Feb 2016
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:
I bought this when last in the UK but was a bit disappointed when I finally read it a few weeks later. Difficult to say why exactly, but it seemed to plod a bit, with far too much stuff on his childhood. Compared to the recent biography of Alex MacIntyre by John Porter it was a very dull read. That said, I'm looking forward to volume 2.
 tony 03 Feb 2016
In reply to Doug:

> I bought this when last in the UK but was a bit disappointed when I finally read it a few weeks later. Difficult to say why exactly, but it seemed to plod a bit, with far too much stuff on his childhood. Compared to the recent biography of Alex MacIntyre by John Porter it was a very dull read. That said, I'm looking forward to volume 2.

That was very much my thinking - far too much childhood reminiscing, and also very little light and shade, which made the whole thing seem quite pedestrian - pretty much the opposite of what it should have been, considering what he's achieved.
 Stu Tyrrell 03 Feb 2016
In reply to tony:

More about the history of how he got where he is now, I find it interesting about how the climbing style changed and all that, as I was looking on and a young lad at the time. I have not read it all yet though.

I like the bit about the bet he had with a mate, to swim in the mountain lake for a Mars bar, his mate won, but Doug does not tell you that he made a bet that he would double it, they had to arm wrestle and Doug won it back..........

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...