Snowdonia skiing 16/01/16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr-Cowdrey 23 Jan 2016
http://chriscowdreyclimbing.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/when-2-become-1.html?m=1

A write up from skiing in Snowdonia last weekend. We took a gamble with conditions and it paid off! Albeit, with a slight mishap...

Here's hoping for more snow and more British Backcountry.

Any feedback welcome, good and bad

Cheers

Chris
 adam06 23 Jan 2016
good article.

im hoping the snow comes back so i can do a bit of skiing in snowdonia. will try and avoid doing jumps near lakes though!
OP Mr-Cowdrey 23 Jan 2016
In reply to adam06:

That's probably the best advice I could have given you at least make sue your ski has brakes, or you attach the leashes!

Plenty of scope up there I think, if you're a good skier and have a keen eye. And have good conditions!
 galpinos 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

My only advice on the write up would be to not "big things up" too much and to avoid the "humble brag". A couple of things stuck out, "bucking" implies, to me, dropping a big cliff, not jumping off a rock and you described 37 degrees as not that steep. 37 degrees is steep, it's as steep, if not steeper, than most resort blacks and a gradient few people ski off-piste.

Apart from that, nice write up, glad you got your ski back and more importantly, we'll done for getting out there and skiing something!
OP Mr-Cowdrey 24 Jan 2016
In reply to galpinos:

I know what you mean, I try to imply it as 'tongue in cheek' but don't always get it across that way by the sounds of things. I'll take that into consideration

I appreciate the 37 degrees comment. I was trying to get across it was the least steep line but yeah, 37 degrees is pretty steep.

Thanks for your feedback though
 TobyA 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

> I appreciate the 37 degrees comment. I was trying to get across it was the least steep line but yeah, 37 degrees is pretty steep.

It's very specific - do you take an inclinometer with you? I know lots of skiers do for avalanche assessment .

I read your 10 worst/best bivvy post after that and found that quite inspiring. I was going to try and write my own last night but never got round to it but if I do I will be sure to credit your blog for the idea. My best one is the cells of Fort William police station - I bet not many others have bivvied there for a night!

OP Mr-Cowdrey 24 Jan 2016
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah I take an Inclinometer, mostly for interest but also for avalanche assessment etc.

Thanks for that I know none of my bivis mentioned in that post are 'extreme' or anything like that on a big alpine route, but it was more of a 'these are the most memorable/interesting/bizarre'. I'd be very interested to read yours if and when you get it written and i must say, I'm intrigued to hear about your bivi in the police cells, please elaborate...
 TobyA 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

No arrests were made and it was very warm and comfy. There's even a pic somewhere of me sitting on the ensuite facilities our cell had!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...