Black diamond harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yorkieboy 28 Dec 2015
Looking at getting a momentum harness after new year, just wanting one for indoor thats got nice padding, this one doesnt seen too bad and pretty cheap.
Anybody used/have one? Any good?
 EddInaBox 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Yorkieboy:

There are two reasons to limit your choice to one specific harness:
  • You already have one and like it but want to replace it.
  • You saw one going cheap on the internet.
I think we can discount the first since you wouldn't be asking the question, likewise if you saw it in a shop you would be able to try it on and wouldn't need to ask.
My recommendation is to go to an actual shop, try on as many harnesses as you can and spend a few minutes hanging in each (good shops will have a bit of rope rigged up to let you do this) then buy one you find comfortable. If you end up doing multi-pitch routes in an uncomfortable harness you will regret it, but even indoors, resting half way up a route can be disagreeable, and don't forget that whilst you could always ask to be lowered, when your partner is dogging a route and hanging around a lot it can be just as uncomfortable for the belayer.
 ogreville 29 Dec 2015
In reply to Yorkieboy:

I got a Momentum last year as my back-up harness. It feels OK as a backup, but it has spent most of it's life in the cupboard. The issue was the BD TrakFIT leg loops. It introduces too much extra looseness to the harness.
When belaying, it feels like your belay device is up at your face. When hanging around on the rope taking a rest/being lowered, it's as if your knot is almost above you. This may of course just be because I've got skinny legs!!

I'd definitely stick to fixed leg loops like the BD Ozone/Chaos, or fully adjustable like the Aspect.

You could always go for the Petzl Adjama - on the Bananafingers site for £44 (last seasons). It looks like a good match for the Momentum in price
OP Yorkieboy 29 Dec 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:

Just saw it on my searches online and looks really comfy, one ive got at minute is a cheap one i got when i started and give me problems in my lower back muscles if im sat or holding somebody in it, its not really padded...saw the black diamond and wild country ones and just thought they look the kind im after
Brend 29 Dec 2015
I've got the BD Momentum harness and as a cheap, comfy all round harness for a beginner I can't fault it.

EddInaBox 30 Dec 2015
In reply to Yorkieboy:

> Just saw it on my searches online and looks really comfy...

It probably is really comfy for the people it fits, but you can't tell if it will fit you until you try it on. I have a Black Diamond Chaos which I use indoors and for sport climbing and it is okay for me, but for trad, with a fair bit of hanging around, I chose a women's harness from Wild Country (I am a male) because that was what I found to be most comfortable when I tried several in the shop. So I stand by my advice, try before you buy.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...