Ideal ice pack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GarethSL 09 Dec 2015
Can anyone recommend some good 40/45L daysacks suitable enough for a days ice climbing?

I've been using a BD demon 35 over the last few years and whilst its been excellent I find it just a little too small and not quite featured for ice climbing.

I'm looking for something capable of taking two technical tools, an external crampon attachment system and the ability to carry a rope.

Not looking for anything with a bulky waist belt, so the thinner the better, if that's possible.

What are people using nowadays?
In reply to GarethSL:
> What are people using nowadays?
Blue Ice Warthog (26litre)

I was using a POD Alpine 50 but after climbing with a couple of extremely well-organised partners early last season, I sorted myself out and went in directly the opposite direction.

There might be some days I'd go back to a larger pack but that would tend to be if doing 'mountaineering' routes rather than purely 'ice climbing'.
 HeMa 09 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

By ice pack... I assume you mean ice craggin' (akin to Stanage is rock craggin').

I either use my 60l haulbag for this (rope in Ikea bag @ bottom), then another Ikea bag on top with rack+harness+screw ups+crampons.

But I also use DMM vector with about the same method... albeit I've rigged ice tool attachments to it... Works like a charm.
 TobyA 09 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:
Are you going to climb with it? Are you talking for one/two pitch stuff with rap descents? Or even bigger stuff where you will rap back to the base? Or UK winter climbing where you often take your pack with you?

For single pitch I often use my big Arcteryx crag pack, just like I do in summer. Make sure you have 1 or 2 ikea bags though so that as you unpack things don't get put down in the snow and lost. If I going to end up back at my bag I use the same or some other 50 ltr type pack then take a very light 15-20 ltr pack for belay jacket food, flask, ab tat etc. I've got one from REI which is a few hundred grammes, but Decathlon do one for a tenner that looks perfect. For UK mountaineering where you climb with the pack recently I've mainly used Pod Alpine 50 http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=2843 with all the back support taken out which save quite a lot of weight.

This looks cool for the dedicated ice cragger http://www.thealpinestart.com/2015/12/long-term-review-tnf-ice-project/
Post edited at 18:12
 HeMa 09 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:
> This looks cool for the dedicated ice cragger http://www.thealpinestart.com/2015/12/long-term-review-tnf-ice-project/

Finally... I've been eyeing it up, but has been thus far password protected...
OP GarethSL 10 Dec 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Sorry. I should have mentioned it's for long multipitch with walking descent... Unless something goes wrong.

I normally climb with a pack.
OP GarethSL 10 Dec 2015
In reply to bouldery bits:

Nice, I'll check the reviews
Removed User 10 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

> Blue Ice Warthog (26litre)

Their Yeti bags are really good too - just the bits you need, and a floating lid as well (I think) for overstuffing.

Alternatively the Arcteryx Cierzo 35 is good. Not quite as hardy as the Blue Ice bags, but lighter, and fits enough for a day on the mountain. Would be even better with a floating lid, but it generally does okay if you pack thoughtfully.
 Nathan Adam 10 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

Lowe Alpine - Alpine Attack 35:45.

Hard wearing and pretty simple, fairly large for the stated size as well. Can take the lid off and the waist belt packs into purpose made wand pockets, easy enough to streamline it a bit with the compression straps. Ice axe attachment is simple and secure. I use it when the weather is pretty manky and I need to be able to rummage around without taking everything out the bag.

Otherwise, Blue Ice Warthog 26 is the absolute perfect winter climbing bag.
 HeMa 10 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

> Sorry. I should have mentioned it's for long multipitch with walking descent... Unless something goes wrong.

> I normally climb with a pack.

Warthog 26...

Rope, lid and belay-jacket (inside the lid) stay out for the walk in & out.
 HammondR 10 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:
Or consider the Aguille Cirrus; 33 litres of Kendal built indestructability. They will even customise with bits added or taken away, longer or shorter.
Mine is all black.
 Pyreneenemec 11 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

My Karrimor 'Hot Ice' ( 45 litres) would fit the bill perfectly ! Bought in 1995 the thing is indestructable. Made in the old ks100e fabric, it has served me well for alpinisme and day-tours on skis. Still looks quite new despite the 100's of days use it has had !
 iksander 11 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

Outdoor Research Ridge sack

Why aren't all packs waterproof?
 Marc Langley 11 Dec 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

Litteraly as simple as this. The Arcteryx Alpha FL 45 or FL30. I have used blue ice Warthogs for years but after changing last year to the Alpha FL I will never go back. Super clean and gimmicks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...