New Rab insulated jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fiskavaig 15 Nov 2015
Has anyone tried/tested either of these jackets, if so, which is the warmest for Scottish winter use? http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/men/synthetic-insulation/nebula-jacket-30
http://rab.equipment/uk/shop/men/synthetic-insulation/photon-x-jacket-15
 BnB 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Fiskavaig:

I suspect only Rab "brand ambassadors" will have had the chance to try them up 'til now. But I'd have little hesitation in taking the Photon X up the Ben. It looks the bomb.

Neil Pratt 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Fiskavaig:

I have a Nebula - not been cold enough to really put it to the test so far, but it's very comfortable to wear, and feels like it would make a good lightweight belay jacket. Hard to compare it's insulating qualities, as they're not using a new material and there's no data that I can find to compare it with Primaloft or something similar.
 Alpenglow 15 Nov 2015
In reply to BnB:

Seconded. I think Rab might have hit the nail on the head here with a perfect Scottish winter belay jacket (from the features list). I'm still yet to try it on though.
In reply to blue_sundown:

Personally went off Rab Kit in Recent years ,poor finish/stitching
Overpriced same stuff different colours (like most brands ) ,try Montane better value IMO Black ice 2.0 Jkt worth a look at
 gethin_allen 15 Nov 2015
In reply to blue_sundown:

Darn, the photon X is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for to replace my ageing photon hoody from circa 2007 but at £200 I'm going to have to scrape together a few more pennies before I head to the shops.
 Garbhanach 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Fiskavaig:
I havn't tried either but going by Rabs description of the jackets they say offering exceptional levels of warmth and water-resistance, featuring Primaloft£ Gold synthetic insulation about the Photon Jacket, the Jacket has less stitch through panels than the Rab Nebula so will probably keep the water out better other points are the Photon has adjustable cuffs to keep drafts out better than and more durable than lyca cuffs, two way front zip also better for keeping the heat in.

The Nebula looks ok if you want a slightly lighter and cheaper jacket but no idea on durability of the new isulation or it's performance and looking less warm would also make the Photon more attractive to me, however like stevieweesaxs107 above I don't like some things about Rab stuff, the jackets are cut very staight in the body so they usually end up tight in the chest and arms if you have an athletic shape. Montane do have more shape in their jackets I am told and the Montane equivalent to the Photon would be the Ice Guide with Primaloft Silver eco https://www.montane.co.uk/en/men/clothing/synthetic/ice-guide-jacket so interested to see a comparison if anyone has tried the Photon and the Ice Guide.

UKC have a review of a Montane Ice Guide 2.0 but that Jacket had a mix of down and sythetic fill which stevieweesaxs107 mentions above however their is a Black ice which is all Primaloft and shown in the link here.
Post edited at 12:20
OP Fiskavaig 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Garbhanach:

Thanks everyone for your replies, i will ponder, an do some more research, I was hoping some of the professionals had been given these jackets to test out, anyone?
 Street 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Fiskavaig:

I've got a Photon X on the way, I was after a new jacket and this one seemed to fit the bill for me provided it fits OK! I've tried a few others but they didn't seem quite right or didn't fit right.
 timmeehhhh 18 Nov 2015
In reply to Fiskavaig:

That Photon jacket seems to have the same specs as my ME Fitzroy Jacket...
 galpinos 18 Nov 2015
In reply to timmeehhhh:

The Fitzroy has one layer of 100g Primaloft Gold in the body, the Photon X has two layers of 100g Primaloft Gold on the front of the body and one layer on the back. They both have 60gs on the arms.

timmeehhhh 18 Nov 2015
In reply to galpinos:

I am pretty sure that the fitzroy has 200 gram primaloft in the front pocket area. This was also covered in the comparison review between the fitzroy and generator alpine jackets on this website, some years ago...
 Garbhanach 18 Nov 2015
In reply to Fiskavaig:
Rab Nebula gets good reviews at Cotswolds works well when wet.
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/rab-mens-nebula-jacket-a1212852?id_colour=12...
OP Fiskavaig 18 Nov 2015
In reply to Fiskavaig:

From the horse's mouth, just spoke to the guy at Rab, he says, for bad Scottish winter weather, the Photon-x is the one . Guess that answers my question. Once again, thanks everyone, for your advice. Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...