Best 1 man tent for winter?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Philo22 14 Nov 2015
I'm looking to replace my cheap, worn out tent with something a little more hard wearing - suitable for Scottish winter camping conditions. Just wondered if anyone could give me any recommendations for a decent 1 man job? I've been looking at something in the vango range - maybe the Blade or similar but would be good to get some 1st hand reviews of how they perform in the wind and rain/snow.
Budget of around £100-200.

Many thanks
bothybob 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Philo22:

The Vango Banshee 200 is a good all round tent and can be purchased for £80-£90
 abr1966 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Philo22:

I'd certainly consider a larger tent for winter camping....you'll be spending a lot of time in it potentially and space is comfort and easier to keep kit dry etc. depends if you are carrying it in a pack but for £££ you are spending you can get some decent stuff...
OP Philo22 15 Nov 2015
In reply to abr1966:

Larger tent would certainly be tempting although will primarily be using it for hiking/trekking so space and weight is pretty essential. Considered maybe one if the two person vango models but unsure how small these would pack down in comparison?
 abr1966 15 Nov 2015
In reply to Philo22:

I use a 2am banshee for backpacking but I wouldn't want to spend much time in it! I'm just looking at more comfy tents and think the vango halo 300 is what I'll be getting!
 Alex Slipchuk 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Philo22:

Hilleberg soulo, i have used it in horrific weather. Keep the inner separate until bed time and you have loads of space to cook and remove layers. Not the best for ventilation without strong winds. Not ideal for hot midgey summer nights.
 David Staples 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Philo22:

The Vaude ultralight series are very good such as the Hogan or Taurus.
 Mal Grey 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Philo22:

I think the Blade would be too small and "coffin like" for winter use. The steep, sloping sides mean it would be very difficult not to touch the sides, and getting in and out isn't that easy.

The Banshee, or maybe Zenith, would be a better bet. Possibly also look at the Wild Country Zephyros.

Hilleberg Soulo looks excellent, but a little over budget...

These little tents can be quite prone to condensation, and with little space to put wet gear too, I'd tend to go bigger in winter despite the size & weight penalty, or you'll possibly just end up cold, damp and miserable for the long dark nights.

In reply to Alex Slipchuk:

Good idea keeping inner separate until bedtime. Thanks!
OP Philo22 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Mal Grey:

> These little tents can be quite prone to condensation, and with little space to put wet gear too, I'd tend to go bigger in winter despite the size & weight penalty, or you'll possibly just end up cold, damp and miserable for the long dark nights.

Thanks for info, certainly sold on the larger tent option. Was just a little concerned re. space saving but now I think I'd rather carry a little extra and have a better night's kip!
OP Philo22 16 Nov 2015
In reply to David Staples:

> The Vaude ultralight series are very good such as the Hogan or Taurus.

Hi David cheers for the info. Just had a quick glance at the Taurus - it's labelled as a 3 season tent. Do you think this would be suitable for Scottish winter conditions? I have a pretty heavy duty sleeping bag and exped mat so I guess temperature probably wouldn't be such an issue but would be more concerned about how much punishment it could take from wind/snow weight etc.
Many thanks for the advice
Sam97 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Philo22:

I aggre with abr1966, you should for sure go with a bigger tent. Check out the one below, it served me great last winter.

http://www.greatoutdoorproductstore.com/product/coleman-2000018141-4person-...
 David Staples 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Philo22:
Hi mate,

I've used my Hogan UL in N Wales in strong wind and it has been fine. I've also used it in heavy rain and it kept me dry. We also used my mates Taurus on the Vallee Blanche in Cham and I know he has used it up by the CIC hut for days at a time without any problems.

Obviously being a 3 season tent it might not stand up to very strong winds (50+mph) but who wants to camp out in a full on winter storm anyway

Cheers
Post edited at 13:11
OP Philo22 18 Nov 2015
In reply to David Staples:

Ha ha hopefully I'll be avoiding any deliberate storm camping Many thanks for the advice. Taurus looks pretty tempting and perhaps a little sturdier than some of the vango models.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...