Destinations suggestions in Scotland?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 13 Nov 2015
Last winter I booked few nights at Glencoe independent hostel without knowing where I am diving into.

It was absolutely brilliant experience. I came there on my own, but spent couple of days doing some easy mountaineering with another climber and had lifts every day. I even got a lift back to Glasgow! All guests were into climbing, hillwalking, etc. We had only one weirdo who went missing after he left the hostel and police was looking for him and only one tourist. So much different from usual hostel experience! I once decided to "sleep in" and got up at 8AM or so - I was the last one to get up. Just... so nice spirit in there!

I am thinking of something else now as Glencoe was the main destination for nearly last two years. I was thinking of revisiting Cairngorms, but getting around without a car is not that easy if you stay in Braemar or Aviemore. Glen Nevis is another obvious choice, but still hesitating to go there. Are there any other options? I am looking for (reasonably) accessible on foot grade II-IV routes. I have got holidays in the beginning of January, but it's hard to know where the routes will be in condition.

On the other hand, if someone is looking for a partner (around January 1-10th), give me a shout. I wouldn't mind bothying for a night or two either.
 CMcBain 13 Nov 2015
In reply to PPP:

Getting around in Aviemore without a car shouldn't be too hard, I'm sure you could hitch a lift up the ski centre road relatively easily and if not i'm pretty sure there's a bus service going up to the ski centre as well. From the ski centre you've got loads of options of where to climb/walk. Sneachda is good for the grades you mention despite being the winter climbing equivalent of McDonalds in terms of accessibility (45 min walk in, and fairly safe bet for getting something in condition). You can also venture over to Loch A'an side if you're wanting something a bit quieter. There's easier stuff on Hell's Lum and Stag Rocks although be careful its not too sunny (yes its a problem in winter sometimes) as both crags catch sun.

Might be worth having a look at Torridon as well, the youth hostel there often has other walkers/climbers staying and it's a pretty special place in winter.

Good luck!

OP PPP 13 Nov 2015
In reply to CMcBain:

Thanks! Cairngorms is most likely to be in condition as well. I remember hitching back to Aviemore and it took quite a bit of time last time. Getting there is also not difficult, by either hitching or taking train/bus.
In reply to PPP:
Perhaps you could consider staying in the youth hostel at Loch Morlich - think it's been rebranded Cairngorm lodge. That's much closer to the ski centre than Aviemore, so it'd save you a fair bit of hitching or bus travel every day
OP PPP 13 Nov 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
Thanks for a suggestion. It seems like it's open only for weekends (in winter season)! Otherwise, it's like 720 pounds a day to rent the whole hostel.
Post edited at 12:59

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...