DMM whats it mean

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fmck 12 Oct 2015

As the name says. I remember them coming out in the 80's as a welsh outfit. I have a thing at work regarding recall of some gear and got me thinking. I think it was Dinas Mot mountaineering but probably not. If someone could let me know as its started to bug me and google has revealed nothing.
Post edited at 21:00
 Andy Hardy 12 Oct 2015
In reply to fmck:

Denny Moorhouse Mountaineering.
 Andypeak 12 Oct 2015
In reply to fmck:

I thought it was something metal moulding
In reply to fmck:

Not hard to find out really:-

http://dmmclimbing.com/about/
 climber34neil 12 Oct 2015
In reply to fmck:

Denny moorhouse manufacturing
In reply to fmck:

You don't have Google on your computer?
 damowilk 13 Oct 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Bit ironic really, your link doesn't say, and only vaguely implies. Also the first page of Google isn't helpful, unless it's actually Demented Metal Monkeys (no, I don't know either!). UKC really is getting quite unfriendly at times!
 EddInaBox 13 Oct 2015
In reply to damowilk:

The UKC forum is full of trolls and sourpusses, however people do get a bit annoyed at being repeatedly asked the same question:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&na...
 damowilk 13 Oct 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:

Fair enough, although 3 times over 10 years isn't too bad, and it beats monthly threads about Bear Grylls!
 philipivan 13 Oct 2015
In reply to fmck:

I'm sure my pals always called it Dangermouse Mountaineering. Not sure why, but I do like Dangermouse
In reply to damowilk:

From a quick search that backs up my memory/understanding: Denny Moorhouse Mountaineering
In reply to fmck:
I've always been told it was Denny Moorhouse Mountaineering (including by someone who worked for them).
Upon reflection I think the most likely answer is the DMM stands for Denny M. Moorhouse as the firm's first incarnation with the initials was DMM Engineering (changed from Moorhouse Engineering). Denny Moorhouse Mountaineering Engineering seems a bit cumbersome and Full Name followed by Engineering is a logical progression from part name followed by engineering..
I don't claim to have certain knowledge though.
It seems Google is not the font of all knowledge after all.
Post edited at 12:53
In reply to climber34neil:

> Denny moorhouse manufacturing

This^^^^^^^
 Timmd 13 Oct 2015
In reply to damowilk:

> Bit ironic really, your link doesn't say, and only vaguely implies. Also the first page of Google isn't helpful, unless it's actually Demented Metal Monkeys (no, I don't know either!). UKC really is getting quite unfriendly at times!

Yes it is.
 Timmd 13 Oct 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:
> The UKC forum is full of trolls and sourpusses, however people do get a bit annoyed at being repeatedly asked the same question:

You mean like, it's them 'personally' who are being asked, and having to respond from behind their computers?

Gosh how do they manage? I guess it is hard to not click onto a thread and be unfriendly.

I've lately found myself wondering where all the friendly people have gone.
Post edited at 21:25
 Rob Parsons 13 Oct 2015
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Denny moorhouse manufacturing

> This^^^^^^^

'Denny Moorhouse *Mountaineering*', isn't it Paul?

Anyway, to the OP: the significant thing is that 'DM' = 'Denny Moorhouse' - who was also responsible for starting 'Clog' gear.

These things, and the history, matters: the innovators of that generation were our Chouinards.
 Climbingspike 14 Oct 2015
In reply to fmck: Denny Martin Moorhouse.

EddInaBox 14 Oct 2015
In reply to Climbingspike:

The middle name is Marsdin I believe.
OP fmck 14 Oct 2015
In reply to Rob Parsons:
> Anyway, to the OP: the significant thing is that 'DM' = 'Denny Moorhouse' - who was also responsible for starting 'Clog' gear.

Thanks for that I had been looking to see the connection with Clog. I had some memory that there was some connection there.

Its a pity there having such problems at the moment with their carabiner recall. Safety at my work has put a blanket ban on their products which is obviously overkill.
Post edited at 07:20
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Denny moorhouse manufacturing

> 'Denny Moorhouse *Mountaineering*', isn't it Paul?

> Anyway, to the OP: the significant thing is that 'DM' = 'Denny Moorhouse' - who was also responsible for starting 'Clog' gear.

> These things, and the history, matters: the innovators of that generation were our Chouinards.

Hi Rob,
It just shows how urban myths take on a life of their own. I thought it was "manufacturing" from way back near the Clogwyn era.
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

And yet it seems it may not be either of those.
 Rob Parsons 14 Oct 2015
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

I'm curious now; and was probably wrong above.

Looking at http://www.checkcompany.co.uk/director/2583234/-DENNY-MARSDIN-MOORHOUSE, the two listed company names are 'D. M. M. ENGINEERING LIMITED' and 'DMM INTERNATIONAL LIMITED'. Assuming that's correct, it suggests that 'DMM' stands for his initials.
 Fredt 14 Oct 2015
In reply to damowilk:

> Fair enough, although 3 times over 10 years isn't too bad, and it beats monthly threads about Bear Grylls!

You mean BFG?
In reply to fmck:

I used to work for DMM and throughout my time there I was told several different things by several different people, in fact even to this day I still don't know which one it officially is - I suspect it's either one of the first two.

Denny Marsden Moorhouse
Denny Moorhouse Mouldings
Denny Moorhouse Mountaineering
Don't Make Money
 Climbingspike 14 Oct 2015
In reply to EddInaBox: I worked at Clogwyn Climbing Gear from 1976 to 1983. One year I stayed at his mothers house in Harrowgate, we We're at the trade show. I thought she called him Martin but it could have been Marsdin. It was along time ago and an old lady with a Yorkshire accent was a bit odd for myself a Lancashire lad. Denny is now living by a beach in the Far East. I could write a book on my time there.

deepsoup 14 Oct 2015
In reply to fmck:
> Thanks for that I had been looking to see the connection with Clog. I had some memory that there was some connection there.

> <snippage> Safety at my work has put a blanket ban on their products which is obviously overkill.

Beyond overkill, I'd say, and into the realms of the bloody stupid.

There's a similar connection with ISC, btw: http://www.iscwales.com/
(Can't see any reference to Denny Moorhouse on their website, but I believe he owns the company.)
 deepsoup 14 Oct 2015
> Denny is now living by a beach in the Far East. I could write a book on my time there.

Was I wrong above, or has he sold up and/or retired from ISC now?

Good luck to him anyway. :O)
 EddInaBox 15 Oct 2015

> ... One year I stayed at his mothers house in Harrowgate, we We're at the trade show. I thought she called him Martin but it could have been Marsdin.

Companies House has Denny Marsdin Moorhouse listed as a former director, however everyone else seems to think it's Marsden, and almost at the end of this discussion:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.climbing/pBmXWiFup7U
someone posting under the name Ruth Moorhouse says the same.
 Climbingspike 15 Oct 2015
In reply to EddInaBox: Ruth Moorhouse is Denny's daughter. Who better to answer the question.
DMM stands for Denny Marsden Moorhouse.
He started Clogwyn Climbing Gear also known as Clog Wales. ( this took up less space to stamp on crabs etc )
First started at a house above Deiniolen then moved to the old cinema in Deiniolen . Then moved down to the old slate pencil factory below Deiniolen. A huge new building was built across the road. This was the bigining of the end for clog. The company was taken over by Barrow Hepburn. They had no interest in climbing gear only the industrial stuff. They sold it on to Wild Country . Meanwhile DMM got started in Llanberis. Hugh Banner managed the WC site then left to start his own company making climbing hardware, he took with him some key personnel. In time DMM took over WC. Denny left DMM and started a company making industrial hardware in Bangor. The last I heard,he now lives in the Far East.
Does this answer the question ?
 planetmarshall 15 Oct 2015
In reply to fmck:

Seems the answer is that it stands for DMM. Much like BP used to be an abbreviation, but now it's just BP.
In reply to Rob Parsons:

That's what I concluded and it appears,finally, to have been confirmed by his daughter.
 Timmd 16 Oct 2015

I'm glad the OP asked, or people might have continued to think it was Denny Morehouse Mountaineering.

That's a poke in the eye for the grumblers, I guess.
 Webster 16 Oct 2015
In reply to fmck:

I was under the impression that it stands for 'climb big mountains' in welsh - Ddringo Mynydd Mawr (apologies welsh speakers...). apparently im wrong?
In reply to Timmd:

Indeed!
 Indy 17 Oct 2015

>it appears,finally, to have been confirmed by his daughter.

"............The last I heard,he now lives in the Far East."

She doesn't know where her father lives? how sad!
 Climbingspike 17 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy: what makes you think she doesn't know where her father lives.

Indy 18 Oct 2015

Errrr.... It reads like it was posted or copied from the daughter. As there is nothing obvious to show where that ends and the poster has possibly added his/her comment you'd assume that daughter had written all of it and so didn't know where the father was. Sadly in this day and age that wouldn't be uncommon.

Climbingspike 18 Oct 2015
In reply to Indy: a quick look at my profile might help you work out who's who.

In reply to Indy:

Or maybe they didn't want to post a precise location on a public forum.
 Timmd 23 Oct 2015
In youe proflie pic you have a passing resemblance to the guy in the black and white picture, re the eye brows and nose being similar, the eye brows especially.
Post edited at 19:02
 Climbingspike 23 Oct 2015
In reply to Timmd: I guess you mean the photo of the four DMM originators. No I'm not there but I suppose Fred looked similar, with the long hair and moustache, that was the fashion back then.

Stan Lowe 16 Nov 2015
In reply to fmck:
Sat here with Denny at the moment. He has just told me DMM stands for Denny Marsdin Moorhouse. End of story!
In reply to Stan Lowe:

Well although the same conclusion was reached above (eventually) it's nice to have it confirmed definitively.
OP fmck 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Stan Lowe:

> Sat here with Denny at the moment. He has just told me DMM stands for Denny Marsdin Moorhouse. End of story!

Thanks. I wasn't really losing any sleep over it but a month down the line we know for certain.
 EddInaBox 16 Nov 2015
In reply to Stan Lowe:

Marsdin? Almost everyone else (including someone purporting to be his daughter) seems to think it is Marsden, can you confirm, for the record, once and for all... ?
 Stan Lowe 17 Nov 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:
Marsdin deffo. Not Marsden as in Jerry and the Pacemakers.Although as we are all getting on now,Denny and the Pacemakers has a certain ring to it!
 L.A. 17 Nov 2015
In reply to Stan Lowe: If differentiating between I and E in Marsdin You should also be aware of the difference between J and G
Gerry and the Pacemakers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...