Car wheel/flat tire related woe - any advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 04 Oct 2015
If I can briefly set the context for a crappy evening before asking for advice. This afternoon, despite lots of work still to be done, I decided to pop out briefly with the family for some fresh air and to pick blackberries. Drove a little way out of Sheffield to a lane I know, pulled into a layby to park, clipped a semi hidden kerb - and bang; ripped, flat tyre on the car. The car, a CMAX, being a stupid modern design has no spare, just one of those re-inflation packs which obviously won't work when you can see the tyre ripped open. Not having AA membership or similar and not sure what else to do, we walk cross country about 5 miles home - cue much moaning from kids. Back home trying to think what to do next; Googling reveals a bloke trying to sell on Gumtree a Ford spare wheel which I think should fit. I text him, he still wants to sell, so in our other car, I drive up the M1 a few junctions to meet him in a dark layby in order to make the exchange! This actually goes super smoothly and soon I'm heading home with a new spare tire/wheel for 20 quid. Wife then drives me back to where car 1 was left. Head torches on, we try to change the tyre (a process I got very efficient at in Finland where you had to change all 4 wheels twice a year between winter and summer tyres).

Now here's the final cherry on the top of a crappy evening: of course I don't have wheel nut wrench (or jack) with my car as it doesn't have a spare. Having foreseen this problem, we have the set in my wife's car. But her wrench is too big for the Ford wheel nuts. Again, having foreseen this potential problem, I have brought my socket set - but the 21 mm socket is too big and the 19 mm socket seems too small. There is no 20 mm socket in my set. Trying not to cry, I presume the wheel nuts must be 20 mm, but on returning home and consulting Amazon and Google it seems no tyre irons come with 20 mm options: wheel nuts seem to be either 19 or 21 mm? Does anyone know if this is true? In the darkness did I just miss that the 19 mm should have fitted? If I go and get one of the cross shaped tyre irons from Halfords tomorrow, should it fit? And why do we have days when it seems no matter how hard you try to deal with problems, you just can't catch a break!?

Apologies for the long moan, and any tips from petrolheads on what I'm doing wrong really will be appreciated!

wintertree 04 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Medium probability: Does the car have a special locking wheel nut on each wheel? It could have been this failing to engage a standard socket set? There should be an adapter for it, likely in a small rigid plastic box in the glove box.

Low probability: Do any of the wheel nuts look badly mauled or misshapen? If all else fails due to a nut being badly misshapen, try a socket that's slightly to small, place it on without a ratchet or breaker bar inserted, and persuade it on properly with a hammer then use tool to undo. You probably want to acquire some replacement nuts first. May make things worse...
Jim C 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

On my mates Audi. There was plastic covers on the nuts.

Removed the plastic covers and it fitted the removal tool provided.
OP TobyA 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Jim C and wintertree: Thanks guys. Each wheel has one special locking nut but I have the 'key'-socket so that's one but out of the five that is no problem! There are some discussions on CMAX owner forums about the possibility of some sort of plastic covers, but I can't work out if they are nut covers how they come off. I think actually its unlikely, and they just look different being nuts for alloy wheels - I've always had just basic steel wheels before with steel nuts.

I have also been reading that getting alloy wheels off can be a task even once you've got the nuts off! Starting to think I may well have to admit defeat and get the car recovered by a garage that can then fit me a new tire. So far I had been hoping to avoid that expense and get as far as Kwikfit or similar with my (new) temporary wheel.
Jim C 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Our local scrapyard has a nice wee trade in small spare wheels ( for people with the usless 'repair' kits.
You may find the same local to you.
 MikeSP 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I'm not sure about the size but, have you got the wheelnut key with you? It should be the same size as the rest of the nuts. If you do you can measure it up and go equiped.
 balmybaldwin 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:
I've never known the nuts on a car with standard wheels to differ from the nut on the lock nut adapter... otherwise they'd have to provide 2 irons. Therefore if you can use that the others must have some form of cover on them.

Found this titbit of info:

you should have with your jack & wheel brace a black plastic socket shaped device with a long finger shaped bit sticking out of the end, you press this over the wheel nut cover & grab hold of the protrusion &wiggle the cover off, exposing the wheel nut proper

You might find such a thing with the lock nut or with the puncture kit?

Surely they gave you a jack? some jacks these days have a removeable handle that doubles as the tyre iron?
Post edited at 01:05
OP TobyA 05 Oct 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

No Jack, because when you have the re-inflation kit (foam in some sort of electric pump) I guess the theory is you never need to take a wheel off!

Thanks for the suggestion that the locking nut key should be the same size as the nuts - that of course make sense. Will check it out.
 Neil Williams 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:
> Apologies for the long moan, and any tips from petrolheads on what I'm doing wrong really will be appreciated!

Not having breakdown insurance? It costs next to nothing, and it would have solved your problem with a simple phone call.

Yes, I know, not overly helpful, but it might be an idea to take some out now
Post edited at 07:51
In reply to Neil Williams:
Even with breakdown cover, the problem of a spare tyre is still there, and dragging a car onto the recovery truck could damage the alloy. I understand why car manufacturers falsify emissions data, and don't fit spare tyres because they live in a shiny fantasy world of zero defects. Unfortunately the real world has more complexity to it. To Toby A you really need a space saver spare, a jack and a wheel brace in your car, along with a fire extinguisher, and a first aid kit. And hopefully then you won't need to use them.
Post edited at 08:07
In reply to John Simpson:
Indeed. That's yet another car that is right off my list. I vaguely understand the idea of space savers (as with alloys, unlike steel wheels, you aren't just going to leave the spare on and make the punctured one the spare once repaired), but having no spare wheel is a joke.

And I seem to be one of the few people I know who carries a fire extinguisher.
Post edited at 08:06
 Scarab9 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

No advice, just some sympathy. Days like that.can get to you. Grit your teeth and afterwards have q beer and relax
 ByEek 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Oh dear. That sounds like hell. We too have one of those self inflation kits and I am dreading the day we have to use it. That said, the dealer threw in a sweetener of 3 years tire insurance so at least I get the tire replaced for free if I get a puncture.

My wife insists we have break down cover. I bah humbug it each and every time it comes up for renewal... apart from the time my battery went flat and I couldn't jump start it and the time the engine cut out for no reason at work. Those two times have been worth the money.
 nniff 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Someone destroyed a tyre outside my parent's in law's house recently. We tried the wheel brace in the five cars that happened to be available and failed to find one that fitted. We found a socket that fitted in the end. I'd bet on a 20mm socket as 'reason' doesn't seem to be a feature installed on modern cars. For a wheel stuck to a hub - take a piece of wood and a lump hammer and apply a bit of persuasion, but a firm kick may do the trick
 jkarran 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

They're probably 19mm (pretty much the modern standard size) with thin decorative chromed caps on them. Very annoying indeed and not easy to remove.

Edit: Save yourself the hassle, call a mobile tyre fitter, they're not much pricier than going to a garage and will save you an expensive tow.

jk
Post edited at 09:13
 Alyson 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Hey Toby. No idea if it would be any help but I have a Ford (Mondeo) so the wheel nut wrench from my car might work? You're welcome to borrow it, or I could pick you up and we'll go out to your stranded car and give it a try! Only problem is I can't do it tonight, but free tomorrow day and evening.
 buzby 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

sympathies mate and no advice other than don't buy a car that doesn't have room for a spare , not being funny but if a car doesn't have room built in for a proper spare wheel then its off my list.
im not that fussy about cars either but taxiing about several young grandkids I've no intention of being stuck in the arsehole of nowhere whithout a spare and a daft wee can of puncture repair that wont work half the time.
good luck.
OP TobyA 05 Oct 2015
In reply to jkarran:

Do you know how they come off it they are caps? Couldn't work it out in the dark last night! Not sure if the unscrew or if the should pop off somehow. Google wasn't much help either.
 Rick Graham 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

> Do you know how they come off it they are caps? Couldn't work it out in the dark last night! Not sure if the unscrew or if the should pop off somehow. Google wasn't much help either.

/www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB546GB546&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=mobile%20tyre%20fitter%20sheffield

Try this one.

Have you noticed jkarran's suggestion of a mobile tyre fitter has got 5 likes?
 jkarran 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I've only come across them on someone else's car, a big Hyundai IIRC that was stuck blocking a single track road. The elderly couple in it couldn't lower the huge spare or undo the damaged one so I changed it for them. I don't recall how the covers came off, possibly there was some sort of plastic tool thing to grip and pull them or I'd have pryed them out with a blade I guess, it was a while ago. I was in a hurry and I remember cursing and wondering WTF when the clearly new from inside an untouched wheel-change kit brace didn't fit the 'nuts' in OEM wheels.

jk
 angry pirate 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I had a tyre go on Sunday on our Citroen. The nuts were covered with little plastic covers that look like slightly larger nuts. They came off with a wee proprietary tool that looked like oversize tweezers which slid down the side and hooked over the base.
Hope all goes OK with yours fella!
 johncook 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA: That's a bad day, but try dealing with npower! 20 hours on phones over 6 months and still not sorted. Can't compare prices because they don't know my tarrif etc etc . Will be leaving them in the next day or two. At least your car is inanimate and doesn't try to bs you!
Rant over.
PS don't use npower, they are a bunch of useless amateurs.

In reply to ByEek:

> My wife insists we have break down cover. I bah humbug it each and every time it comes up for renewal... apart from the time my battery went flat and I couldn't jump start it and the time the engine cut out for no reason at work. Those two times have been worth the money.

I really don't mind paying for it. I haven't used it often, but as someone who is fairly busy and always rushing around somewhere, it could be the difference between a minor annoyance and my day or weekend being ruined. When I have used it it has always dealt with the issue to my satisfaction and either got me back underway or provided an alternative (though I'll admit I don't just go for the basic package).
In reply to johncook:

> PS don't use npower, they are a bunch of useless amateurs.

British Gas seem generally OK if not the cheapest (there might be a lesson there - energy competition is to all intents and purposes competition about who can do the cheapest billing and customer services operation - a real race to the bottom).
In reply to angry pirate:
My Vectra has the plastic things, they just pull off. I have no idea why it has them, the wheel nuts look fine without (as indeed they do on the driver's side front wheel where somebody has nicked them for some reason).

Oh yeah - Vectra estate - massive barge of a car, tons of boot space, space saver tyre. What a crap piece of design. I suppose I should be thankful it has one at all, but I'd really rather it was one that didn't require me to drive all the way home at 35mph.
Post edited at 19:03
OP TobyA 05 Oct 2015
In reply to johncook:

It's good to vent isn't it John? Good luck with faceless corporation wrestling.
 Toccata 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Ford have an odd size that differs from most other makes: I know this from wandering around the car park at work looking to borrow a wheel brace, without success. However a Ford garage sell them for about £8.
OP TobyA 05 Oct 2015
In reply to angry pirate:
I'm pretty certain mine must have something similar, although I don't think I have any tool to pull them off. A couple of screwdrivers will have to suffice!

On the way home from work (my wife picked me up) we were going to stop at my car in the light for me to look more carefully, but just before we got there we were third car to stop behind a head on collision. I ran down to see if I could do anything to help. The driver was a bit bashed up but crawled out himself and sort of collapsed into my arms so I'm now covered in his blood! Once the ambulance and police were en route and some chap with a huge first aid kit had very proficiently taken charge of the scene (part time fireman or paramedic I suspect) we backed up and did a u-turn to get out of the way. Hope the people involved are too badly hurt, and gives you 'things could be worse' perspective.

Drive carefully everyone, wasn't a nice scene to see.
Post edited at 19:16
In reply to TobyA:

Crikey, not your day, is it!? Well done for getting involved to help.
 marsbar 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

What a nightmare. Take care.
OP TobyA 05 Oct 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Cheers folks. Two lads in a souped up Corsa (I think -it was a mess), skidded on a corner and went into the front of a Transit coming the other way. One wheel of the Corsa was virtually off and flat on the road. The tire looked pretty bald. I'm no accident investigator so don't know for certain, but definitely a hint from on high to keep my tires in good order (and probably for all us to not drive like twentysomething lads in customised fastback might be likely too!). Front corner to the Transit was gone as well, felt very sorry for the driver; he had bruised his legs but said he wasn't really hurt, but his van would have been a write off too I expect and he seemed in shock.
 jkarran 05 Oct 2015
In reply to johncook:

> That's a bad day, but try dealing with npower! 20 hours on phones over 6 months and still not sorted. Can't compare prices because they don't know my tarrif etc etc . Will be leaving them in the next day or two. At least your car is inanimate and doesn't try to bs you!

2 years of calling them for a bill and they still can't manage it. They can change my meter and send a man round to read it but can the useless bastards send me a bill... no. Will they the moment I try to switch... doubtless.

jk
 Yanis Nayu 05 Oct 2015
In reply to Alyson:

You are ace.
 gethin_allen 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

If it's any help my old Ford (probably a lot older than yours) is a 19 mm wheel nut.

It's a shame I don't still live in Sheffield otherwise I'd have jumped in the car with a tool box.

I know people who've refused to buy new cars because they don't come with a spare. Initially my parents 4.2 ton campervan didn't have a spare, only a can of holtz tyre weld. My dad told them to put a spare in or they would walk away from the deal and eventually the salesman saw sense. Your dilemma does make me wonder if my parents have a Jack and wrench in the van.

Another issue with these tyre weld products is that if there is only a single hole in the tyre which can be repaired, once you use tyre weld the tyre is knackered. Which could be expensive on a van with £165 tyres.
 Yanis Nayu 05 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:

Shit day, but as you say, the crash gives a sense of perspective. I tripped over paddling in the sea in Barry and lost my keys. The hassle and expense was nothing compared to the grief experienced by the family of the girl who got swept out to sea and drowned on the same day.
 EddInaBox 05 Oct 2015
In reply to jkarran:

> 2 years of calling them for a bill and they still can't manage it...

If it is NPower's fault then under the Energy UK Code of Practice for Accurate Bills (NPower have signed up to this) you are only liable for the twelve months of usage prior to your bill (when you finally get it) anything used before that is written off.
 deepsoup 06 Oct 2015
In reply to TobyA:
Lordy, all sounds rather traumatic.

Are you sorted now? I've been away working for a bit, but arriving back in Sheff tomorrow afternoon. Have a big ol' trolley jack and tools enough - happy to give you a hand if you still need it, drop me an email if that's the case...
 jkarran 06 Oct 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:

Cheers. Will be hard to prove it's their fault as it's all been over the phone but I'll bear that in mind when the time comes.
jk
 johncook 06 Oct 2015
In reply to jkarran: Good luck. When you call executive complaints team, ask for James Thomas. He is a senior manager who called me at 7:00 last night after a threat to call their corporate office again and contact the director of customer service. He seemed genuinely appalled at the treatment, called back 30 mins later having listened to the last couple of calls, and was genuinely stunned. Use my name if you think it may help you to get to him. And remember you only need to pay for the last 12 months, insist on the cheapest tariff for that period and a financial sum to offset your wasted time and phone calls.
I will make him aware of the public nature of this thread when/if he calls back. I will also put on here the name, phone number and e-mail address of the director once I have done some research and found it. Then everyone who reads this forum will have it!

jkarran 06 Oct 2015
In reply to johncook:

Cheers John. I just double checked and in my case it's actually Eon supplying my power (and Eon I've been pursuing for a bill), I misremembered when I saw your post and it struck a chord last night.

Apologies to NPower.
jk
 jkarran 06 Oct 2015
In reply to EddInaBox:

Thanks, I'll have a read. I've been through to their historic/back billing department before and as usual a man turns up to read the meter then no bill. It's a puzzle but not one I'm overly stressed about. They manage to bill me for gas no problem.

jk
 Alyson 06 Oct 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> You are ace.

Well I like to think I'd offer assistance to anyone, though truthfully it helps that Toby lives nearby and I like changing wheels!
 deepsoup 07 Oct 2015
In reply to Alyson:
> Well I like to think I'd offer assistance to anyone, though truthfully it helps that Toby lives nearby and I like changing wheels!

I have a spare set of wheels with winter tyres on for my van. A couple of months or so from now when it's time to swap them all over, I'll try to remember you said this. ;O)
(He's right, btw, you are ace.)
 Martin W 07 Oct 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

> Another issue with these tyre weld products is that if there is only a single hole in the tyre which can be repaired, once you use tyre weld the tyre is knackered. Which could be expensive on a van with £165 tyres.

Not according to Holts themselves: http://www.holtsauto.com/holts/products/tyreweld/ "After using Tyreweld, the puncture can be repaired according to the British Standard BS AU159:f."

Bear in mind that the stuff that is supplied with modern cars in lieu of a spare wheel is only intended as a "get you home" solution: you're still meant to get the tyre repaired as soon as possible afterwards (it certainly says so very explicitly in the owner's manual for my car). The "gunk" is therefore deliberately formulated so that it is straightforward for a tyre fitter to wash the residue from the tyre and safely fit a plug to the hole (assuming that it meets all the other criteria for safe repair, such as no other damage to the tyre eg from driving on it when it was flat). There is a belief that certain unscrupulous high street tyre repairers (naming no names but amongst them is one that makes a point of the speed of their work, ahem) will tell you that use of 'gunk' makes the tyre unrepairable simply in order to be able to sell you an expensive brand new tyre rather than a cheap repair. I couldn't possibly comment.

That said, I insisted on having the spare wheel option on my last new car. The 'gunk' can only seal a hole such as made by a nail (the owner's manual for my car says maximum 4mm diameter) so it's no use if your tyre has been shredded by an encounter with a more serious piece of debris (metal roadworks signs which have fallen out of their frame and are lying flat on the carriageway with a length of one edge folded up and standing proud are good at doing this). Granted, a recovery service can get you to a place where you should be able to get a replacement tyre fitted, but if it's late at night or you're in a remote location then it's a major relief to be able simply to swap on the spare and continue on your way (albeit at reduced speed if all you have is a 'space saver').
OP TobyA 07 Oct 2015
In reply to all:

Thanks very much to everyone on the thread for their thoughts, commiserations and exceedingly kind offers of help. Two people emailed me after seeing the thread and offered to help, and Gribble/Graham not only offered me jacks and tyre levels but to actually come out to the car and lend me hand. This we did on Monday night in the pouring rain and darkness, although thanks to Ford's bizarre idea of having some sort of thin metal caps over the wheel nuts we were thwarted - three of the nuts would undo but on two, the caps spun on the underlying nut and broke. It is a nut underneath but it appears to be an 18mm size!? And neither of us had an 18mm socket to do those nuts. Cue, two slightly soggy and frustrated men standing a dark, wet countryside lay-by doing nothing more dubious than cursing a major automotive manufacturer.

Anyway, I figured that even if I got the spare wheel on, I was still going to need to take the flat tyre and wheel to Kwikfit or similar, so looked up mobile tyre fitters as an alternative. I found someone and called. He agreed to meet me at the car today after I finished work, but at lunch time he WhatsApped me some photos saying he had been, put the new tyre on and the car was good to go, and to pay him when I got a chance! Pretty good service eh? So anyone in and around Sheffield needing new tyres should look up "Mobile Malc" - heartily recommended!

Thanks again everyone, and particularly to Graham: enjoy the wine and lets have a go at Tower Crack some time soon eh? UKC really is a nice community - cheers all.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...