Atrial Fibrillation and Altitude

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jswindsor 29 Sep 2015
Dear All,

I'm currently researching the link between altitude exposure and the development of atrial fibrillation (AF).

If anyone has developed the condition in the mountains I would be keen to hear from them. Similarly, I would also like to hear from those who have persistent or permanent AF and still head to altitude.

Any information received would remain confidential,

Thanks

Jeremy Windsor

Consultant in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care

Chesterfield Royal Hospital

Wiley Coyote2 29 Sep 2015
In reply to jswindsor:

How are you defining'altitude'? I have AF but I'm definitely a crag rat rather thaqn a mountaineer.
 Henry Iddon 29 Sep 2015
In reply to jswindsor:

I've had it ( permanent) - now fixed after 2 ablations / 2 cardio versions under Mr Gall at Blackpool Victoria / Lancashire Cardiac unit.

I didn't go to altitude while I knew I had it, but did carry on with pretty intense exercise.

Feel free to message me.
 olddirtydoggy 29 Sep 2015
In reply to jswindsor:

I've not done the reading on AF but my old work mate has it in his mid 60's. He was an ex racing cyclist and mentioned a larger proportion of pro cyclists get it than your regular average Joe. I wonder if extreme sports at a high level increase the chances.
OP jswindsor 29 Sep 2015
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Thanks

There is a growing amount of information on what's known as "lone" AF. Normally, AF is found in those with some form of heart disease, however it's increasingly clear that a small group of very healthy individuals develop AF and have no obvious heart disease. Cases of "lone" AF tend to be seen in middle aged men with a long history of endurance exercise, often to a very high standard. It is not known what causes it, however some experts believe that it's linked to a chronic inflammatory process that might occur in an athlete going through years of rest-performance-recovery cycles. The implications for these individuals are unclear many cases of "lone" AF return to normal and need very little treatment. However small numbers do not and are unable to perform at previous levels of exertion. It is not clear in these individuals whether they are at a greater risk of developing blood clots (like others with AF) and what preventative treatment they should receive. As more cases of "lone" AF are reported we might get answers to these and other questions.
 Timmd 29 Sep 2015
In reply to jswindsor:
This sounds fascinating I think.

Have a free bump to keep it noticed.
Post edited at 23:24
 rodgit 30 Sep 2015
In reply to jswindsor:

Good luck with your quest Jeremy.
Having been diagnosed myself I would be interested in your results as too, I am sure, others would also.
Rodgit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...