Cost of fitting a woodburning stove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Can anyone offer some advise on how much it should cost to fit a wood burning stove professionally (I am not very DIY orientated)

I just called a local shop that has a few showrooms around the county and they told me that they would charge approx £1400 to fit it and insert flue liner, £65 for a sweep and £400 for a cherry picker to change chimney cowl (very old house with delicate clay roof tiles so he said they would want to use one) . Ignoring the cherry picker element...does £1400 seem about right just for fitting? Seems a lot to me. Another shop just quoted £1500 for fitting..

jimjimjim 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

It seems a lot just for fitting but it all depends on what's required. Are there any alterations around the fire that need doing the the hearth/mantle area?
If you've had three or so quotes around the same price then there's you answer. You do pay a bit to get it all signed off with the correct paper work. I just did it myself and saved about a 1000 quid, then got a heatas guy to have a look and he said it was fine.
Ferret 15 Sep 2015

The stove in my house was badly fitted by previous owners. Not directly comparable but to put it right I've just had...

1. 6.5m chimney swept, insulation and flue lined.
2. Existing stove disconnected and moved aside...
3. existing far too small fireplace opened up and made larger, new lintel fitted
4. register plate inserted etc
5. Plasterwork around new opening made good (note, its smooth plaster, no hearthstones/ornamental stuff
6. Stove moved back into newly enlarged space and re-connected.

That lot came in at about £900ish. East Lothian - very happy to recommend the company who did the work if Lothians/central belt is your area.

I think the works split out at roughly 60% the lining and 40% the enlargement/make good on fireplace. Costs for you depend on height of chimney, Access (cherry picker or ladders) and whether the fireplace needs work or not
In reply to jimjimjim:

Ok, seems like it might be top end of market rate (i'm South East so not surprised it's pricey). But is it a job a competent DIYer could take on without too much concern?
 Siward 15 Sep 2015

It is, if it's a fairly simple ans straightforward fireplace/chimney set up and you are just using the conventional stainles steel liner technique (don't skimp on liner quality though). You would have to quite competent. You'd want the chimney swept first and it is at least a two person job, one of whom will have to be up high.

This site is a mine of information http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/
 duchessofmalfi 15 Sep 2015
It doesn't seem entirely out of whack - a little pricey esp with the cherry picker.

Consider a few thing before you DIY it:

- Much of the cost is the liner
- It isn't easy to do unless you've got a very simple house
- You may need to post a building notice and have it inspected if it wasn't fitted by a heatas registered engineer (certainly it was the case where I live)

I had one fitted professionally - I've a mate who did his own. The additional cost of the fitter over DIY, for me, was less than the cost of the building notice - my mate rolled his into the building notice for other work and had a much simpler install than me.

It is worth shopping around - someone might be happy to do it without the cherry picker and it does seem a little pricey but it depends on the size and complexity of install.
In reply to Siward:

Thx, v.interesting. Suspect I will end up just paying the going rate...but might be worth asking a few handy friends if they fancy earning £500 giving me a hand
 summo 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Ferret:

> That lot came in at about £900ish.

I would say that's a pretty good guide, I've fitted a couple in houses we've renovated. £1000 upwards, depending on stove is fitted, but I did some of the work myself. Are your quotes including or without stove?
In reply to summo:

My quotes are without stove
 summo 15 Sep 2015
> My quotes are without stove

I guess ferret paid to remove and refit, so it's potentially extra labour. Not sure perhaps it is little high if they don't include a stove.
Post edited at 16:33
 Timmd 15 Sep 2015
The people who did mine (there was an old flu from the gas fire already in when they started) discovered that in place of building lintels there were two pieces of curtain rail cemented in to 'support' the brick work for the chimney.

Apparently, brickwork can be self supporting to some degree in how it hangs together if well cemented, but occasionally surprises can appear which mean more work than is first apparent.

Post edited at 16:38
 Mike Stretford 15 Sep 2015
My was £1100+ for fitting and bits but minus stove. That included fitting the hearth but not the cost of it. I did all the pre-wrecking and disposal of old junk myself so it was ready to go at.

Edit: They had ladder access to the roof so it's probs similar to yours with cherry picker included.
Post edited at 16:46
In reply to Mike Stretford:

Just spoke to a handy friend who told me he has fitted a few in the past. Said he would help me over a weekend . So now to get chimney swept and measured, buy all the parts and look into weekend hire of a cherry picker. This will go one of two ways....
Removed User 15 Sep 2015

Sounds far too expensive. Can you get any personal recommendations form friends, tends to work for me.

I’ve used Plasterline in Denby Dale, West Yorkshire. Very happy with the work and minimal mess. They fitted a new flue last year, £600.

You’ll need to get the work accredited otherwise you’re likely to invalidate the house insurance.
 Hooo 15 Sep 2015

IIRC I paid about £1400 and that included the stove. Most other companies wanted that much just for fitting, so seems like a good deal and I'm happy with the job. I'm in the South East too, Sussex. I could dig out their details if you're interested?
MaxWilliam 15 Sep 2015
The higher prices quoted above seem like the going rate for my local area. Good stoves are worth the extra money too, e.g. Morso, Clearview etc. Cheap stoves often perform so poorly they cannot sustain a fire or useful heat output with any but the smallest driest timber. Often you need to insulate the chimney to get good performance from a stove, to ensure it draws well. This is normally done by pouring vermiculite around the flue liner.

It really doesn't make sense to touch any of work yourself that will require either building control (BC) or HETAS certification. BC may defer to HETAS expertise, HETAS engineers will seek charge a similar amount for signing off other people's work due to the risks. Due to well publicized carbon monoxide deaths it is likely that non-legal installations if found would be dealt with by prosecution. Doing the fireplace work yourself to save costs is viable - it is easy to remove/re-position lintels as the brickwork is normally self-supporting (as noted above).

Wood stoves DO NOT save you money! They allow you more comfort and the charm of a flame. Installation, sourcing wood, drying it, building a wood shed, chopping/splitting, chainsaws, axes, safety kit make will make gas/oil CH look very cheap. You have a wood stove as either you enjoy the hard work and danger of chopping wood or you can afford to have seasoned split wood delivered.

ps - I have a Morso 04 - this is an excellent stove and recommend for small fireplaces as the flue exit is close to the back of the stove. Avoid rear exits and 90 deg bends in stove pipes.
Post edited at 19:01
 markAut 15 Sep 2015

Do you need a liner? I have a good quality class I flue which (at least at the time of installation) didn't need a liner. Think the stove would burn more efficiently with a liner and getting soot off the register plate is a bit of a faff, but you pays your money.... Do you need a DEFRA approved stove?

Sweeping a chimney is not difficult, its all in the prep. Drain rods and a brush are cheap and a one off cost. Usually I get time out of a couple of hours without rushing anything.

On the running costs side of things, a stove is only cost effective if you can get free wood. Paying for wood brings the cost up to about that of gas CH. Wood should be dry, so you need a store, and 12 months worth of wood takes a bit of space. If you process your own you need the right tools and time.

I love my stove, but really its a lifestyle thing, we had open fires when I was a kid. Being able to get the car in the garage would be nice, but its full of wood. As is the garden. For all the stoves fitted around my area, there isn't much woodsmoke in the evenings, so I think people get bored with having to keep a fire alive.
 Wsdconst 15 Sep 2015

Yeah it's pricey but without seeing a quote it's hard to tell if it's a piss take.£400 quid for a days hire on a cherry picker is definitely taking the mick though.
 Caralynh 15 Sep 2015

I think that's expensive. We paid about £3500 for:
The stove itself
Knocking out bricked up fireplace
restoring original large arched fireplace to original condition
lining chimney
re-skimming walls
making a hearth from flagstones

Very pleased with the end result, and I think the cost was reasonable. I know the stove alone was supposed to be about £1k. We got a discount for having the work done "out of season" and fitting in with the company's availability rather than specifying dates. Whole job took 3 long days of work.
 toad 15 Sep 2015
In reply to Caralynh:

I paid just over 4 for a very similar project, I was very pleased with the work and the guys that did it! - nottm area

Did mine myself which included lining and insulating the chimney, fitting the register plate, opening the fireplace up and fitting a new lintel (the old one was a thin metal bar which looked like a tractor part). I also made a new tiled hearth and fitted a new fire surround which i made from three gritstone window lintels bought from a reclamation yard for £60.00. The total cost of all materials including the stove came to about £1200.00 and it was relatively easy to fit, the hardest part being getting the flue liner down the chimney which was achieved by me on the roof tied to the chimney in my harness and my eldest daughter pulling from below. Our chimney flue is 12 metres high and has a couple of kinks in it so it would be much easier over a shorter distance with less kinks. All the info on what i would need and how to do it was gained from my local stove shop who supplied me with the stove and liner and insulation etc, they were very helpful but you could also get info online.
 gethin_allen 15 Sep 2015
Sounds a bit expensive to me, I looked into having a stove fitted in my place and for a small Esse Stove (rrp ~£699) fitted with a flexi flue and made good with a simple hearth and all signed off was £1500.
Personally I'd do it myself if I was going to do it now and I'd pay the £140 to have it signed off. All the info detailing what needs to be done to be safe and have it signed off is available on-line.

Although I do live in cheap south wales not expensive south east
Post edited at 21:33

If you're doing it yourself, you have two options. Either get a registered HETAS fitter to check that you've put the liner in correctly, connect it up, register plate etc. and give you a filled in certificate. He will also fill in the safety plate details which has to fitted either near the fire or next to the consumer unit. This is a legal requirement under building regs, as is fitting a CO monitor in the room. Your other option is to register the proposed work with the local council and have a building inspector pass the work. He will want to see it before the liner goes in, and will then tell you what he wants to see next visit. Usually to make sure the lintels are ok, and liner is the correct way up. Final visit will confirm correct connection, air gaps from walls and combustibles and that all building regs are complied with. Then you get your signed stuff.
Without either of these, your house insurance is invalid and when you sell, without a certificate it's likely you'll need to disconnect it and declare it decommissioned.
I have a wood burner arriving tomorrow which cost a grand. The fitting kit and liner cost 350 less a 150 discount. Worth paying for the best quality liner. I opened the builders opening myself, put in a new hearth, and lined it with cement board. You can't use plasterboard. A HETAS registered builder is fitting the liner, fire, commissioning it and supplying certificate for 300.
Grand total is 500 plus fire, although it would have cost an extra grand to have the fireplace opened up and made good for the builder to do it.
FYI got a bespoke fire surround in green oak made to measure for 400 so just short of 2 grand for the lot
In reply to Thread :

Thanks for all the replies. The wood burner is to go in a large inglenook mainly for aesthetic purposes and enjoyment of a winter fire. Not for essential heating requirements, so it's a luxury purchase to finish off a room. We already have a large wood store and wood supply from a local supplier for another woodburner. Also the inglenook already has a metal safety plate covering the chimney and just needs a hole cut in it. Seems the £1400 fitting cost is steep as it doesn't include cherry picker hire and is probably only a days work for someone who knows what they are doing. Think I will look to do it myself with help and the internet and get it all signed off by Heatas engineer. If all goes to plan I think I can save nearly a grand and learn something along the way judging by some of the replies above. Thx

steve taylor 16 Sep 2015

It cost us about 1000 for flue, hearth and stove as well as a new vent in the lounge. Local builder friend did all the fitting in a day. I think the inspection (local authority guy) cost another 100.

We have a local company that import stoves so we got that quite cheap plus putting the flue down the chimmey and fitting the cowl was very easy.

JoshOvki 16 Sep 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:
*slight high-jack*
Do you have a recommendation on who to use in South Wales? I am buying a house up in Pontypridd that has fires but the flues are damaged and need repairing/replacing.
Post edited at 16:35
 gethin_allen 16 Sep 2015
In reply to JoshOvki:

I'm not sure about people over in the valleys sorry.
snoopdawg 17 Sep 2015

Paid £3200 plus £600 to the fitter for a very professional job (NE England)
 gethin_allen 17 Sep 2015
In reply to snoopdawg:

> Paid £3200 plus £600 to the fitter for a very professional job (NE England)

Crikey! almost £4k for something you still have to feed wood.

Does it not seem perverse that we've moved from a nation burning solid fuels in stoves to a nice clean gas/oil centrally heated nation where heat comes at the push of a button without the hassle of moving/cutting/stoking fuel and cleaning up after/getting flues swept. And now people are paying more than the cost a modern heating system to have these disadvantages back.
I know they look nice and if you have an infinite supply of free fuel they are cheap to run but still £3,800 is a decade of gas bills.
 markAut 17 Sep 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

Absolutely right, my stove is hard work, a bit smelly, and not very efficient. Bit like me really! But I love it. Maybe it's something about having to physically work for those flames and that delicious heat.

There's something nice about working with wood, even if it is just processing logs. I get nothing tangible from the 9 to 5, but half an hour with the chainsaw really does show results.
 gethin_allen 17 Sep 2015
In reply to markAut:

I've a friend who lives in the sticks without gas or oil and heats his house with a rayburn stove with a back boiler. He picks up loads of free wood so hardly pays for heating, maybe a few bags of coal every year. My retort is always that that in the winter I wake up when the room gets warm whereas he gets up when the alarm goes off and then has to run down and rekindle the Rayburn before the place even starts to warm up.
In his case I can see why he has what he does, it would cost a fortune to install an oil setup.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...