How wild is wild camping?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 10 Sep 2015
So I fancy some wild camping at Loch Coruisk, but I think I may be stretching the definition of wild camping a bit.

I'm thinking of a frame tent.
For a week.

I doubt if that would be popular. However, I'd hate to turn up with my bivi bag and camouflage gear and find a load of caravans there.

What's the score at Coruisk?
 Bob 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Caravans at Coruisk would be pretty wild!
Removed User 10 Sep 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Caring the chuffin' thing might be an issue.........

Finding a pitch for even a small tent can be surprisingly difficult. There could be some strong down drafts from the mountains either side not to mention potential gales from the Minch.

Ultermately you might be more comfortable and get more sleep in a small tent tucked out of the way somewhere rather than a large frame getting battered about all night. I'd always go for the sleep option.
In reply to Fredt:

depends on how much Class A you have
OP Fredt 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Its a serious question, I really fancy carting a frame tent there for a week, but not if it would annoy anyone at all.

In reply to Fredt:

If you want that amount of space and comfort (as opposed to lightweight, wild camping), why not just stay in the Coruisk Hut?
 d_b 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Fredt:

I have camped there. You can find some reasonably flat ground near the hut, but in the valley not so much. Near the hut is probably your best bet if you want a tent with a large footprint.

You may see one or two other tents around but it's unlikely to be busy.

Bear in mind that when the weather is bad there it really mings.

Do you plan to carry it in or take one of the boats over from Elgol? In my experience the operators are quite accommodating.
 Robin Woodward 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Why not stay in the hut? It's pretty cheap, and is less likely to blow over or leak.

Also, depending on where exactly you pitch, and what time of year, you might get randomly swamped by tourists during the day (who may just walk in and have a look around - I know they tried that with the hut when we were staying there!).
Rigid Raider 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Fredt:

My mind is gently boggling here at the thought of a WEEK with the midges! I've lost count of the number of family climbing and camping holidays in Scotland that we abandoned early when the midges became too much for us.
 d_b 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Mozzie coils will keep a tent porch clear. Maybe that's why he wants a big tent.
 Bob Aitken 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Fredt:
It certainly doesn't conform to the definition of responsible wild camping in the Scottish Outdoor Access Code:
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/Practical-guide/public/camping
I do think it would be a bit anti-social to plonk your family tent in that famously wild corner.

But from experience of camping at Coruisk and thereabouts, I'd be more concerned that your frame tent would end up in the Scavaig River, leaving you at the mercy of the elements. There's quite a history of folk having to bale out from camps at Coruisk in the middle of the night. South-westerly gales and torrential rain can come calling even in June.
Rigid Raider 11 Sep 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Yes, it's not like you can evacuate the tent and jump in the car!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...