Still a minging smell after washing outdoor gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gilliesp 29 Aug 2015
Recently I noticed certain just washed outdoor clothes, especially Paramo Mountain Shirt, ming badly ten minutes after building up a sweat on the hill. Also several wee polyester base layers that still smell, straight out the wash. What prompts me to ask 'any ideas, similar experiences?' is a mate just expressed exact same problem. I have clean washing machines and driers and even line dry clothes often - to no avail. Trying soda crystals at moment. I'm guessing bacteriological aspect at play maybe. Any solution(s) appreciated.
 Cog 29 Aug 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

You are a dirty auld man.
ultrabumbly 29 Aug 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

wash em, get them perfectly dry and take the hoover to them with the upholstery brush. I had this problem with a couple of tops and I think it was deodorant sticking tiny particles of skin and gunk into the armpit area.
 girlymonkey 29 Aug 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

I have a liquid that I use occasionally on my smelly hellys that is designed for smelly sports clothing. I don't use it on really delicate things, but synthetic stuff is fine with it. I just got it in a supermarket
OP gilliesp 29 Aug 2015
In reply to Cog:

Thought you'd hae something better tae dae the dae?
OP gilliesp 29 Aug 2015
In reply to Cog:

It only happens with much older clothes, never newer stuff.
 marsbar 29 Aug 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

I use this

http://www.dettol.co.uk/products/pourable-liquids/dettol-disinfectant-liqui...

Or this
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=285024357

Soak them them wash if bad, then use a little in the machine every time you wash in future.
 Siward 29 Aug 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Stick em in a solution of steriliser as used for home brew.

(shouldn't rot your clothes but no guarantee!)
 marsbar 29 Aug 2015
In reply to Siward:

That might bleach them. I wouldn't.
 wercat 29 Aug 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Nappy San, or go for non synthetics. Plus, rucsac in nappysan as the smell can come from manky straps and lower back of the same.
 Bob Kemp 29 Aug 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

The best thing I've found for getting rid of smells in a range of synthetics is borax substitute. I've found it works on aging Helly Hansen tops that can get pretty smelly so should work okay on your stuff. I've seen suggestions that it has a very slight bleaching effect but I've used it for years on coloured items and noticed no effects. You can get it online, the usual places.
 Garbhanach 02 Sep 2015
In reply to gilliesp: Nikwax do a product called basefresh for polyester they also do one for wollens as well never used either but basefresh gets some good reviews on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Nikwax-Base-Fresh/dp/B009ZIR71I

blurty 02 Sep 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

This works on climbing boots, it should be fine for your gear:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trident-Diving-Equipment-Stink-Wetsuits/dp/B001O7AA...
 3leggeddog 02 Sep 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

But that is the smell of victory you are getting rid of
 JohnnyW 02 Sep 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

I just find ignoring the washing instructions and give them a blitz at 60c. I have only ever fell foul of an over-hot tumble dryer when it comes to base layers. Suppose it could be risky on the dearer kit, but it's always worked for me.
 wercat 03 Sep 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:
you remind me of the bag wash at Kishorn camp back in the halcyon eighties - a week of clothes thrown in a bin bag for boiling up! Handed back by Gardner Merchant brownies in the same smelly bag you handed in!

Has anyone ever thought of a rucsac system where you could detach the sweaty panel for washing? Or indeed a canvas panel instead of sweaty stinky nylon? Perhaps I should try to make a wood and leather carry frame like Oetzi's people used.
Post edited at 09:54
 cragrat 03 Sep 2015
In reply to gilliesp:

Just stop washing and after 6 months you won't notice the smell anymore!
 Dave B 03 Sep 2015
In reply to marsbar:

The Dettol is good.

Also use a wetsuit shampoo on soak, if you want to spend lots of money with very delicate clothing...
 Dave B 03 Sep 2015
In reply to wercat:

I found Nappisan rots elastic quite well!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...