How to fluff up a down jacket

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi, I was hoping that I could call upon this forums infinite wisdom to give me some advice! I washed my down jacket yesterday on a cool wash. I then put it on a gentle cycle in the tumble drier with a couple of tennis balls in for fluffing up action! I took it out and let it dry further in my airing cupboard, however I woke up this morning and found the baffles were empty apart from big clumps of feathers in the corners. Do you have any tips on how to fluff it back up again??
 zimpara 29 Aug 2015
In reply to Connor Dickinson:

Wash it
 marsbar 29 Aug 2015

Grab handfuls of the jacket and give it a good pummel and shake. Maybe tumble dry it for longer as well. The tennis balls won't do much until the down is almost all dry.
 aostaman 29 Aug 2015
Mars bar is right, get the down really dry (carefully)
Bernard Shakey 29 Aug 2015

I usually use something a bit beefier than tennis balls, which thinking about it probably explains my out of shape drum,
Rigid Raider 29 Aug 2015

Leave it somewhere really warm and dry or hang it on the line on a warm breezy day.
thanks for all your help guys!

Mike Hewitt 29 Aug 2015

Nikwax down wash made my down jacket look almost new again. Then it's a case of drying it out, it will take a fair while until it fluffs back up propperly.
 Šljiva 30 Aug 2015
In reply to
sounds like it's not properly dry yet. mine usually take an extraordinary amount of 20ps in the laundrette and a couple of hours thinking I've ruined the damn thing before it comes good.
 RhysRolfe 30 Aug 2015

Just keep rtmble drying it, you think it's dry well before it really is, I weigh and tumble dry until it stops getting lighter.
 marsbar 04 Sep 2015

Is it all fluffy now?
 Big_T 05 Sep 2015

Do the same again. Gentle heat setting on the tumble drier, with a couple of tennis balls. It just takes a while to get the moisture out of the feathers but it'll work eventually.

Back in the day a pair of green flash trainers in the tumble dryer with the jacket did the trick.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...