---Solo Via Ferrata Dolomites---

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
DKS 24 Aug 2015
Hey, I am planning a solo via ferrata trip in the Dolomites in early July 2015. Ill be going from a Thursday and leaving Monday, so ill have Friday(Full Day), Saturday (Full day), Sunday(Full day), Monday return to Milan Linate airport for a 4pm flight.

I have previously done the Piz da Cir via ferrata with no problems whatsoever so I know how to use the equipment, and I also go rock climbing weekly in Malta so I have some sort of experience.

I would like a hut to hut via ferrata trip, continuously trekking from hut to via ferrata to hut.

Could you kindly give me some advice and information regarding what to expect, which routes/itinerary to take etc

I have a harness, helmet, via ferrata equipment, trekking boots etc so im sorted for that.

Any help would be appreciated. But mostly I would like a route

Best regards

Dirk
 Casa Alfredino 24 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

The first one could be really cool although fairly epic...

http://www.via-ferrata-dolomites.com/via-ferrata-trekking/via-ferrata-easte...
DKS 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

Thanks! I have also heard the the Cortina D'amprezzo area is really good for via ferrata. Is this true?

Could anyone suggest a hut to hut via ferrata route in that area?

Thanks
 beardy mike 24 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS: well the reason I suggested that one is because coming from Milan you have a long drive. I don't know what your chosen mode of transport is, but the Civetta area is closer as you could get a train to Belluno and then a bus to Agordo pretty easily. In terms of areas which are good for VF, well the Dolomites are good in general. I wouldn't say Cortina is any better than any of the other areas really, in fact for linked tours its not that ideal as they are a little more spread out. The other area which is accessible for you is the Cantenaccio, where you could easily get to Passo Carreza, do the Denti di Diablo and Roda di Vael, then stay at Rifugio Fronza then do the Santner Pass VF, then stay at the Tierser Alpl and do the Denti d'Oro in the morning and either walk back down to Val di Fassa or head over the Schlern and Alpi di Suisi to get back. You can get a bus from Bolzano to the Carrer, and back to Bolzano from Seis. PM me if you need more help... Theres lots to go at!
 gilliesp 24 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

The VF Col Rosa is a wee beauty. Steep and airy at times but safe on bomber cables. Grade 3 B. Did it a few weeks ago. It's in the books but here is a link https://alavigne.net/Outdoors/FeatureReports/ViaFerrata/?p=vfcolrosa

Col Rosa is a mountain route and not a VF to a col! It starts off just up the north road outside Cortina and is on west side of road.
 Pierre Maxted 26 Aug 2015
In reply to DKS:

The Western Dolomites (Brenta) are a good option for hut-to-hut using VF. I organised a trip there about 15 years ago using public transport to get there - train to Trento, bus to Madona di Campiglio then cable car. There is an old guide book that describes the diffrent VF in the area, but you can probably figure out a route using a good map and some googling, e.g. http://www.via-ferrata-dolomites.com/via-ferrata-trekking/via-ferrata-weste...
Some of the routes cross areas that hold snow so an ice axe can be handy, particularly if you go early in the season.

Another option for a shorter trip might be to link up a few routes around the Sella Group, e.g. Possnecker, Birgitta Tridentina and Cesare Piazzetta.
-Pierre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...