Ama Dablam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Ice Doctor 22 Aug 2015
Can you please inform me why cleaning this and other popular routes are a complicated issue please?

Is there anything more regular, ordinary folk can realistically do to help?
In reply to The Ice Doctor:
Manual labour at altitude with a huge lot of rope to carry off the mountain!

Although there may be another angle....we in UK fiercely hang onto the no bolt/no tat/no fixed gear etc ethic and it seems related to the belief that we in UK own these mountains so can decide what the rules are. Perhaps local Khumbu "owners" don't mind the fixed ropes? Should we force our ethics on them?
Post edited at 14:19
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

No, but perhaps someone like leo holding should give something back, set up a website, fundraise to pay the locals to clear it. If I lived in Nepal, I'd try and do something....
 Escher 23 Aug 2015

Don't you think the Nepalis have a few more pressing issues right now? I think any funds raised should go towards much more important causes.
Awesome UKC passing the buck!! "Here's a problem...I nominate someone else to solve it though".

Nice!
Post edited at 14:48
In reply to Escher:

Agreed, but has it stopped people climbing the mountains??????
 Escher 24 Aug 2015

> Agreed, but has it stopped people climbing the mountains??????

Of course it has stopped some people going climbing in Nepal, do you think it is business as usual? I expect there are many climbers, guides and Nepal visitors who have visited many times who have used their time and money to help people they know well in Nepal. I also expect there are people that have carried on climbing or trekking regardless as that is more important to them or they feel that paying the wages of guides and porters that they know is a way they can carry on supporting people they know that are in need. (Please note I am not making a value judgement here, there's nothing wrong with visiting as a tourist and putting money into their economy).

However, do you think Leo Houlding would have much success raising money from a website stating his goal as "cleaning up the fixed rope on Ama Dablam" four months after a devastating earthquake?

I assume you've climbed on Ama Dablam and object to the amount of fixed rope? Perhaps you should do some fund raising, get out there again, pay the wages of some climbing Sherpas and organise it yourself?
 Damo 24 Aug 2015
In reply to Escher:

> Of course it has stopped some people going climbing in Nepal, do you think it is business as usual? I expect there are many climbers, guides and Nepal visitors who have visited many times who have used their time and money to help people they know well in Nepal. I also expect there are people that have carried on climbing or trekking regardless as that is more important to them or they feel that paying the wages of guides and porters that they know is a way they can carry on supporting people they know that are in need.

+1 Exactly. I know quite a few expedition climbers and guides who stayed to help and have either left and gone back, or still not left. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm surprised just how many people I know did that. They've done so at their own expense, incurring debt, plus on top of that raising tens of thousands of dollars in donations to help pay for work they've already done (mostly getting real help and materials to mountain villages).

And locals, especially those in the hills of the Khumbu etc, want tourists to come back - that's how they make their money. I've no doubt some buildings and areas are not safe to hang around, but such places are a minimum and much of the country is fine. And will be even safer come Oct-Nov.

> I assume you've climbed on Ama Dablam and object to the amount of fixed rope? Perhaps you should do some fund raising, get out there again, pay the wages of some climbing Sherpas and organise it yourself?

I've never been near Ama Dablam but it was my impression that the Sherpas removed the fixed ropes at the end of the busy season (i.e. late Nov-Dec) to re-use or sell. Many of the ropes would not survive a windy winter across the rocks anyway.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...