Have your say on waterproof clothing - PhD research

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
philippa27 20 Aug 2015
Hello!
I am a PhD student at the University of Leeds and, in collaboration with the European Outdoor Group, conducting research into the important topic of waterproof clothing.

The short survey is anonymous, https://leeds.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/outdoorclothingsurvey
And it's your chance to influence the future product development of water repellent clothing.

Thank you to Rob for letting me post this within the forums.

Thank you for taking the time to complete it, Philippa (outdoorclothingsurvey@gmail.com)
Please note this survey has previously been publicised by Trail magazine - please only complete the survey once.
In reply to philippa27:

Question 13i prompts with "if you selected Other, please specify" when I've actually selected "don't know". Seems to be mandatory.
 Andy Hardy 20 Aug 2015
In reply to philippa27:

Done the survey, much better thought out than most that get posted on here. I'd be interested in how the survey results will be used to "influence the future product development of water repellent clothing." as it mainly seemed to be about how I respond to marketing rather than what I need from a jacket.

Robin Woodward 20 Aug 2015
In reply to philippa27:

Would be nice to be able to select more than one activity, or have mountaineering in with climbing.
 climbwhenready 20 Aug 2015
In reply to philippa27:

I can't really choose my main activity, which would be climbing/mountaineering/walking
philippa27 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

Thanks, I'll try to adjust that.
philippa27 20 Aug 2015
In reply to climbwhenready:

I had to group them somehow! Difficult task...
philippa27 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Andy Hardy:

The survey is in collaboration with the European Outdoor Group developing previous research (carried out on similar subject matter). This previous research was presented at a tradeshow and was of high interest to outdoor brands. The last section is about marketing and environmental impact, the first few pages are about your needs from a jacket. Thank you for taking the time to complete it! Much appreciated.
 gethin_allen 20 Aug 2015
In reply to philippa27:

Had some issues with the questions regarding the worst weather I would use the items of clothing in. If I'm going out on the bike or summer walking it's a bit different to if I'm going winter climbing, and similar can be said about whether or not I'll be wearing a harness and/or a rucksack.
In reply to philippa27: Done, and I'll second the comment about it seeming better thought through than many posted here. Good luck with your project; since the site's opinion has been canvassed, can you share your results with us through the site when it's appropriate to do so?

T.
philippa27 20 Aug 2015
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Yes, I will try to share the results where possible. My PhD is another two years at least but watch this space!
 MG 20 Aug 2015
In reply to philippa27:

How many waterproof jacket do I own? Well, none, but I do own several that used to be waterproof
 PPP 20 Aug 2015
In reply to gethin_allen:

Same here. Given the fact that most people have more than one jacket (for example, I have three main jackets), I cannot tell the most important features. For example, my Montane Aero Event Pullover is 274g and Mountain Equipment Morpheus (GoreTex) is 620g. I love them both and use both of them, just in very different situations. Durability, breathability, weight, etc. all matter, you just make compromises between one and another.
 Doug 22 Aug 2015
In reply to philippa27:

gave up when asked to give main activity - depends on the season
philippa27 04 Sep 2015
In reply to philippa27:

Thank to all those who have answered the survey so far. It is open for a further year and has been well received by the industry. I will report findings during the completion of my PhD!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...