Recommendations new fleece or similar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
gymwear 18 Aug 2015
Some years ago (about 13) I was passing Coventry and visited the outdoor shop in the city and on the sale rail there was a beautiful Patagonia R2 half zip in bright green. A bargin at £40.

My wife ia less excited about this garment the zip is broken and she refuses to fix it.

Im looking for a new mid layer fleece type jacket. Mainly for climbing, scrambling skiing etc.

Whats available and what would people recommend?

Apologies if this has been covered in threads recently and ive missed it.

Jim
 TobyA 18 Aug 2015
In reply to gymwear:

Why don't you fix it? Or just buy another one?
gymwear 18 Aug 2015
In reply to TobyA:

I will be fixing it... for marital joy just wont be main jacket any longer.

Jim
In reply to gymwear:

How about a beautiful Patagonia R2 half zip in bright orange...? If you're a size S. Probably the same vintage...
gymwear 18 Aug 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:
Shame im a large. that would be so funny... walk through the front door " hi honey I'm home... look my new jacket" funny.
Post edited at 22:20
 marsbar 18 Aug 2015
In reply to gymwear:

There is one on eBay in America if you wish to risk the wrath of your lovely wife. Bright green large. I can't put the link, it won't let me.
In reply to gymwear:

Send it back to Patagonia and they'll fix it for you free of charge.

http://www.patagonia.com/eu/enSI/patagonia.go?assetid=5175
 TobyA 19 Aug 2015
In reply to gymwear:

I would never tell anyone how to run their relationship, but does your wife really care that much about the colour of your mid layer when you are out climbing!? Anyway, I think my R2 jumper is the best midlayer I've ever used, so like Tom said, see if Patagonia will fix it or go for a new one!
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> Send it back to Patagonia and they'll fix it for you free of charge.

That's not my reading of that page:

"The garment will be evaluated and if there is to be a charge, you will be contacted."

They may fix it FOC, or they may charge. Given the faff and insured, tracked postage, it may be cheaper to take it to a high street repairer, preferably an independent.
In reply to captain paranoia:
> That's not my reading of that page:

> "The garment will be evaluated and if there is to be a charge, you will be contacted."

> They may fix it FOC, or they may charge. Given the faff and insured, tracked postage, it may be cheaper to take it to a high street repairer, preferably an independent.

My experience of their repairs service, which I have used on several occasions, is you contact them initially. Patagonia get back in touch and ask for photographs. Once you provide them they make an assessment and let you know if there if there is going to be a charge. You then send it off and a fixed jacket turns up a few weeks later.

Why would you bother with insured, tracked postage for a broken fleece?

Tom

(In fact, I just checked through my old emails, Patagonia replied back straight away saying they would do the repair FOC.)
Post edited at 13:46
In reply to gymwear:

ps. The reason you're not getting recommendations for a new mid layer is, I suspect, because there are millions of them to choose from...

I guess the big choice is fleece, or the current trend for shelled synthetic insulation, e.g. Polartec Alpha. I think I'll stick with fleece at the moment...

Some results:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&na...

Sadly 'mid layer' doesn't find 'midlayer' and vice-versa...
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

> Patagonia replied back straight away saying they would do the repair FOC.)

That's good to hear, and great service. I was only trying to make clear that Patagonia's policy is they they may repair FOC, rather than your initial statement, which suggested that they will repair FOC. Just trying to avoid disappointment/confusion...

> Why would you bother with insured, tracked postage for a broken fleece?

Because a £100 fleece with a broken zip can be repaired for about £10, so it still has significant replacement value if lost. And because that's what the Patagonia page says to do...

I'm not trying to pick a fight; I'm trying to ensure things are clear, and to evaluate the various options pragmatically.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...