RIP Moelwyn Mawr

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wsdconst 08 Aug 2015
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Carry a bucket of soil upto the top and hey presto,it's a mountain again.
 Dai Horribly 08 Aug 2015

Not really sure what the point of this, these guys have clearly got too much time on their hands.
llechwedd 08 Aug 2015

Seems to be related to the inclusion of MM in a category of hill named after its' originator, Nuttall.

So it's the BBC trying to talk up a story, which would otherwise only be of interest to hill baggers with a tendency towards an autistic spectrum disorder.
Removed User 08 Aug 2015

It's the North Top that's been knocked off the list. Didn't realise it was a separate hill of any verity despite having been over it numerous times.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2015/08/03/hill-sleuths-go-in-search-of-tr...
 petestack 08 Aug 2015
Afraid the BBC's got this all wrong (possibly from the terrible WalesOnline report quoted on the MTA Facebook page). It's not Moelwyn Mawr but its puny northern top that's been de-Nuttalled, and UKH is already on the ball...

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/news/item.php?id=69878

[Edit: cross-post.]
Post edited at 21:44
 Roadrunner5 09 Aug 2015
In reply to petestack:
Exactly.. Moelwyn Mawr is well over 2000ft.. amazed it took over an hour to work this one out. Atrocious journalism.

I think this is one of the tops Rob Woodhall used on his snowdonia summits round, Moley will probably no more. Its literally a bump on the shoulder so nothing you'd ever consider a separate mountain, just another 2000ft summit.
Post edited at 03:52
 petestack 09 Aug 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Exactly.. Moelwyn Mawr is well over 2000ft..

As is the demoted top with a 640m ring contour (the issue here being not height, but prominence).

> amazed it took over an hour to work this one out. Atrocious journalism.

Yep, guessing the BBC just took the appalling WalesOnline report (which also thinks 'Mount Snowdon' is the UK's second-tallest mountain!) and ran without checking... too many similarities of wording etc. for coincidence?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/experts-say-one-wales-mountain...
Moley 09 Aug 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

I was up there a few weeks ago on Cambrian Way, I was stood on summit of M. Mawr and another walker pointed out this little pimple between us and Llyn Croesor and said "That's a Nuttall". It is no more than a hump on the landscape, but once pointed out you can see immediately that it has the drop around and made the height.

Except now it doesn't, not a great loss. It's at aprox grid ref: 661453 There is no name on the OS maps.
I'm guessing this is the top they are talking about.
 Roadrunner5 09 Aug 2015
In reply to petestack:

Yeah but they made it the issue with the top height, not the prominence..

Yeah that's it Moley, you pass the side of it on the Paddy Buckley so it was an easy one to add to a tops record.

As it is almost noone bothers with it anyway unless particularly anorachy (sorry Rob.. ), but it was never a 'mountain' on its own anyway.
 petestack 09 Aug 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Yeah but they made it the issue with the top height, not the prominence..

Yep, what I was saying was that they got their issue carelessly/ignorantly wrong!
 Mike Peacock 09 Aug 2015
In reply to Dai Horribly:

Why? I'm not sure how this is any different to any other hobby. Some people climb, some people accurately survey hills to see what lists they belong to...
 Cardi 09 Aug 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

The Nuttalls are frankly, Nutty...
llechwedd 09 Aug 2015
In reply to Cardi:

> The Nuttalls are frankly, Nutty...

Apparently, the book that uses this categorisation has sold in the tens of thousands of copies...

Roadrunner5 09 Aug 2015
In reply to Cardi:

You should keep track of what Rob Woodall is doing?

The guy is bagging every trig point, prominance, marilyn imaginable..

When you say that it sounds boring but the guy is literally off travelling the world having amazing experiences climbing sea stacks in scotlands to peaks in foreign countries.. his facebook feed is great to catch up with, just makes you hugely jealous of how much he does.

In fact I just checked and he's off in Papa New Guinea claiming another peak, a few weeks back he was bagging islands in the Summer Isles, Scotland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...