New arc'teryx double boot

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 damowilk 03 Aug 2015
The new Arc'teryx double boot looks quite interesting. Is it the holy grail that people have been waiting for, namely the light weight double boot?
I'm mostly hoping that it goads Scarpa into making its own version, like the Phantom Ultra in a double version.

If anyone lays hands on the arc'teryx boot and can comment on its fit/last shape, I'd be grateful.
ultrabumbly 03 Aug 2015
In reply to damowilk:

Is this the bora2? If so I read a few reviews where the major complaint was ingress between the liner and the outer by way of where a tongue would be on a conventional boot that, though not wetting feet, it sloshed around in the a void. I am kind of still tempted to give them a go when I can make time to try a pair on.
OP damowilk 03 Aug 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:

They're called the Acrux AR, pretty new, so not sure if actually available to buy yet. I read about them on outdoorsmagic's article on a recent outdoor trade show. They are a full technical alpine boot with a super gaiter, and seem to weigh the same as the Phantom Guide, pretty good for a double boot.
ultrabumbly 03 Aug 2015
In reply to damowilk:

I wonder if the inner will also fit the Acrux approach shoe. That might be a really nifty system for walk in footwear that you could possibly stash and retrieve.
OP damowilk 03 Aug 2015
In reply to ultrabumbly:

My ideal system would be a single well made inner that could be swapped between a really light outer boot, a heavier one, and a ski touring shell!
Or maybe some sort of modular system, with a rigid removable exoshell to allow skiing.

I liked the look of the new Salewa ( I think) boots that had a switch that could convert the sole from rigid to flexible, that could be great brought over to ski touring boots.
Ysgo 04 Aug 2015
In reply to damowilk:
I'm curious... what do you see the benefits to it being a double boot? It doesn't look like a double boot ala the Phantom 6,000. I very much doubt it's warm enough for the greater ranges, or Alpine North faces in Winter. Surely it's designed for the same stuff as the new Phantom Tech (830grams - http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/news.php?id=7525 ), but weighs more (930g - http://tv.thebmc.co.uk/video/arcteryx-acrux-ar-mountaineering-boots?current... )? No?
Post edited at 11:20
OP damowilk 04 Aug 2015
In reply to Ysgo:

Multi day use, primarily.
I love my Phantom Guides for most NZ use, but they get pretty wet after a day, and don't dry in a hut, tent or bivy, and can be cold to get going the next day.
Having a double boot that is lighter and less clunky that eg Spantiks or Phantom 6000, would be ideal for me. Putting an entire boot in plastic bags in my sleeping bag stops them freezing, but does little to dry them.

Admitably they won't be needed for everyone, and if mostly for one day use or can be dried out well, would be overkill.

I also just like to see innovation in gear, I'm a bit of a gear freak. I'd like to see Dane from Coldthistle's take on these.
Ysgo 12 Aug 2015
In reply to damowilk:

Fair enough. Just seems quite limited use to me, as it doesn't look like it'll match the Phantom 6,000 or Spantik for warmth, but agree with the drying out. Phantom Tech looks incredible though. Suuuuuuper light!!!
 HeMa 12 Aug 2015
In reply to Ysgo:

> Just seems quite limited use to me, as it doesn't look like it'll match the Phantom 6,000 or Spantik for warmth

Each to their own, and also for different purposes.

As stated already earlier, the ACrux is aimed at 4000m peaks. So Batura, Phatom Ultra/Guide/Tech are the main rivals.

Single boots are great, if you can get 'em dry during the night. But there are quite a few places, where you spend a few days in bivies and/or tent (I can think of quite a few locales in Norway and Sweden, but some routes in Alps also fit the bill). These are where a double boot shine.

And indeed, the lines does work with the rest of 'Ryx shoes.

What I'd preferred to see, would be them dynafit inserts. I know Scarpa made a limited run of old Phatom 6000s with them inserts. But from what I've heard, the time wasn't right. Maybe still isn't, but they would be quite nice on numerous locales.

I was half hoping that Salewa would offer something like that, now that they are in bed with Dynafit. But at least for this year it wasn't so.
 99ster 12 Aug 2015

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...