Starting running again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jonoh 25 Jul 2015
So after a few years of not running due to odds and sods of injuries , ( other than level 6.3 on bleep tests every 3 months ) and generally keeping my fitness up with hill walking , I ventured out and did 1.5 miles in 10 mins 24 secs which I was proud of ( as a 40 something ).

I am keen to build up my miles and am asking the collective how I should build up gradually with distances , rest days etc

Ta Jono
 goose299 25 Jul 2015
In reply to jonoh:

A mile and half in 10 and 24 seconds is good going if you've not run in a while.

Build up slowly and take plenty of rest days.
 Roadrunner5 25 Jul 2015
In reply to jonoh:

Are you sure? That's really moving.. if you have that sort of aerobic fitness already (and 10 minutes is aerobic) I'd just mix it up. Run longer and slower.

The first week run every other day. For aerobic gain you really need to be running over 20 minutes at a continuous effort, so fo that 3 times a week, then add 5 minutes and do 20-25 minutes every other day, then add a longer run, then run 2 days out of 3 and just slowly add more volume, longer runs, more runs etc and vary pace.
OP jonoh 26 Jul 2015
In reply to goose299:
I did push myself hard , I have a lot on my mind . I think that's what kept me going was fit for nowt afterwards mind !
 summo 26 Jul 2015
In reply to jonoh:

An average of no more than 10% weekly mileage or duration increase, plus every 4th week is an easy week.

Aim long term, consistency is key, not trying to push things too far too fast. I say this as a 40 plus runner myself, trying to avoid injury through years of abuse.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...