Road or mtb shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
johnboybuchan 20 Jul 2015
When I bought my road bike mates advised using mtb pedals and (clip in) shoes. The theory was,easier to walk in and I could use them on my mtb as well (tho I never have I think I'll stick to flatties). The shoes I bought (granted low end) after a year or so seem quite loose especially when pulling on the up stroke. So I have decided to replace them.
Here's the question, is there much advantage in going to road shoes and the extra expense of replacing the pedals too? Or should I just stick with mtb pedals and buy better mtb shoes?

For the record I mostly commute with the odd sportive thrown in.

Thanks JB
Rigid Raider 20 Jul 2015
In reply to johnboybuchan:

Since you've been riding for over a year and are beginning to notice the inadequacy of the SPD shoes, road shoes would be the next logical step for you as a developing cyclist. Even a mid-range Shimano or Specialized road shoe will be stiffer than an SPD shoe and the bigger pedal / shoe interface will give you a flatter platform and probably more comfort, especially when standing on the pedals. A road shoe/cleat/pedal setup can be almost half the weight of an SPD setup too. Have a look at the Shimano road cleats and pedals and the same thing from Look, with their range of Keos. I would say that the budget Keo pedals are a bit of a false economy as they do wear quite fast and become sloppy, so the higher-end pedals with a metal plate are better value in the long term.

The major disadvantage of a road shoe is that you aren't expected to walk in them so they are awkward and can be dangerously skiddy for walking. Keo cleats come with and without rubber walking pads.
 Chris the Tall 20 Jul 2015

I've put SPDs on my road bike as I didn't want to confuse my brain with a differant system - had enough clipped-in falls when MTBing as it is. And I although I have a specific pair of shoes for the road bike - they are still actually MTB shoes, mainly because I still want to be able to walk into pubs and cafes and not look a total wally (a forlorn hope perhaps). So they are much stiffer than I usually wear for MTB, but still have a bit of grip and recessed cleats. Plus it means I can use either shoes on either bike if necessary
 GrahamD 20 Jul 2015

Its a tough call ! there isn't a right or wrong answer except, possibly, another bike
 Chris Harris 20 Jul 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

> Its a tough call ! there isn't a right or wrong answer.

Incorrect.

See Rule 34:

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Nbrain 20 Jul 2015

I've used SPDs on my road bikes for years now with no probs. When you say loose what do you mean? I presume you have tightened up the cleats and pedals etc to ensure the movement isnt just a loose component. If you commuting then the benefit of recessed cleats is massive in my mind. Ive just bought a new pair of mavic rush shoes which are great, nice and comfy and v stiff.
 Chris the Tall 20 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris Harris:

Irk the purists !
 climbingpixie 20 Jul 2015

I switched back from road shoes and pedals to MTB SPDs on my commuter because I was sick of trashing my cleats. Having to stop at traffic lights and junctions and walking across the work car park was wearing through my cleats at a stupid rate and SPDs were more practical.
 nniff 20 Jul 2015
I have got SPD MTB shoes for my mountain bike - big enough to wear with very thick socks, because MTB is a winter affair for me.

I have touring SPD shoes for my commuter - nicely walkable, comfy but a bit bendy and a distinct point load when pedalling hard.

SPD-SL road shoes for the road bike - light, close fitting, far better for doing that hard pedalling thing I hear people talking about. Comedy moments galore on slippery café floors. No real difference in unclipping between SPD and SPD-SL. There's something about road shoes though - after a couple of winters of water and grime they smell of nettles and wee, and the smell will not go away despite bunging them in the washing machine. Just bought a new pair: Mavic to replace Sidi for me, based on the comfy touring shoe experience.
Post edited at 17:20
 AndyC 20 Jul 2015
In reply to climbingpixie:

> I switched back from road shoes and pedals to MTB SPDs on my commuter

Me too! Otherwise it was just going to be a matter of time before I went skating down the stairs on the way to the changing room at work. If there's walking involved I'd stick to MTBs. Better yet, get a set of each and a spanner!
 ericoides 20 Jul 2015
In reply to AndyC:

> skating down the stairs

I never understand why people don't take them off and walk in socks/barefoot, even outdoors.
 GrahamD 20 Jul 2015
In reply to ericoides:

> I never understand why people don't take them off and walk in socks/barefoot, even outdoors.

Outdoors is ok. It's toilets that are unpleasant
Rigid Raider 21 Jul 2015
In reply to nniff:

> There's something about road shoes though - after a couple of winters of water and grime they smell of nettles and wee, and the smell will not go away despite bunging them in the washing machine. Just bought a new pair:

Your mistake was in not removing the insoles after every ride to allow the cardboard inner sole to dry out. Bacteria grow in the damp environment and break down the materials to make bad smells.

Siward 21 Jul 2015

Road shoes are just wrong on so many levels. Designed decades ago, no one has stopped to think that a total redesign is needed to stop them being so silly. Obviously many roadies will swear by them but there has to be a better way even for relatively serious cycling.
 Phil79 21 Jul 2015
In reply to climbingpixie:

> I switched back from road shoes and pedals to MTB SPDs on my commuter because I was sick of trashing my cleats. Having to stop at traffic lights and junctions and walking across the work car park was wearing through my cleats at a stupid rate and SPDs were more practical.

Yes, I've done exactly the same. I destroyed 3 sets of cleats in the last year or so, just from walking to the garage in the morning and across the car park at work. Also I can now pop into co-op on the way home without appearing to ice skate to the booze isle. Win-win situation!
 the power 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Phil79:

Spd for me
 Toby_W 21 Jul 2015
Spds on all my bikes except no1 road bike. No1 road bike has spd-sl as I was always popping the spds out sprinting or accelerating. An added bonus is a bit of weight saving and they just feel more stable and I use sworks shoes for both cleat types.

If I were you i'd stick with spds and with the money saved go for some really good carbon soled shoes. I'd highly recommend the sworks shoes but I only ever bought these for the boa laces and they now come on a lot more shoes ( that have sensible price tags).

Good luck

Toby
Post edited at 09:32
 Wee Davie 21 Jul 2015
I use mtb SPDs on my road bikes (but not on the mtb- flatties all the way). SPDs do the job perfectly well for my needs and I like being able to do the long walk of shame into my work looking slightly less of a tit than if I was wearing both the lycra AND road shoes. I agree with the poster above who says road shoes must be due a redesign? I'd probably buy them if they made sense off the bike.
Post edited at 10:41
 Alun 21 Jul 2015

Don't forget rule 0...
 nniff 21 Jul 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> Your mistake was in not removing the insoles after every ride to allow the cardboard inner sole to dry out. Bacteria grow in the damp environment and break down the materials to make bad smells.

If only that were the case - when wet they've always had insoles removed, and bunged in the washing machine, shoes rinsed out and into the boiler cupboard to dry. They still smell of nettles and wee. Maybe it's that Sidi faux patent leather, but they're not sweaty. They're OK when they're dry (mostly) but when they're wet they smell vile. And they're not exactly white any more.

Anyway, don't burst the bubble! New shiny things on the way!
 nniff 21 Jul 2015

You can buy café covers for Shimano and Speedplay cleats (probably others too). They do work well, but I managed to leave mine on the roof of the car one day. About £17 for the Shimano ones. Good, but not good or useful enough for me to replace. If I did more walking in road shoes, then definitely
 balmybaldwin 21 Jul 2015

I just take my road shoes off if I need to walk anywhere. For commuting I use mtb-spd though
 coinneach 21 Jul 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

I've been using spd's on my road bike since April. No problems and simpler now I have my mountain bike fixed and back on the trails.
johnboybuchan 22 Jul 2015

Thanks for the link, it's been invaluable help!
johnboybuchan 22 Jul 2015

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I'll be staying with the spds but looking for a stiffer, lower volume shoe with a better closure system...
Removed User 22 Jul 2015
I really rate Shimano touring shoes - stiffer than a mtb shoe but you can walk fine in them and they have a fast velcro/ratchet closure system.

Ideal middle ground for general road cycling/commuting.
Post edited at 11:50
 Chris the Tall 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Removed User:

> I really rate Shimano touring shoes - stiffer than a mtb shoe but you can walk fine in them and they have a fast velcro/ratchet closure system.

Second that. I use Shimano MTB shoes on my road bike - I would have got the touring ones but they were out of stock and the only difference was in the tread. But much stiffer than the specialized I use for MTBs.

Rigid Raider 22 Jul 2015

There's no doubt that for mountain biking, touring, commuting and general messing around SPDs are the best solution thanks to the ease of clipping and unclipping and walking.

However if you are going out for a road bike ride and expect to be in the saddle for 2-3 hours or longer and not walking more than a few feet into a cafe, then road shoes and cleats are the better option thanks to the better support and stiffness and lower weight.
 climbingpixie 22 Jul 2015

My MTB shoes are carbon soled and fairly low profile (they'll fit in overshoes with no problems) and have the standard ratchet closure. They weren't cheap but they're definitely worth it. They're Bontrager women's shoes but no idea what model.
 coinneach 22 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Me too, Shimano mtb shoes with laces and Velcro. Stiff sole and barely look used after 5 + years.
 Brass Nipples 22 Jul 2015

Get some carbon soled MTB shoes with leather upper and boa fastening. They'll piss all over a 24 hour ride, let alone a poxy 2-3 hour warm up ride. Super comfy on bike, and still nice to walk in.
 jethro kiernan 26 Jul 2015

I got some giro code mtb shoes for commuting/winter training did plenty of milage with no problem, still use spd-sl with giro trans road shoes on no 1 bike though
 tim000 26 Jul 2015

SPD and mountain bike shoes for commuting and look keo and road shoes for riding. had the same cleats on my road shoes for over a year and they are ok . but then I don't walk in them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...