When running goes wrong – heart seizures in the mountains

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JR 19 May 2015
10 days ago a friend of mine collapsed and had multiple heart seizures out running in the Peak. Total out of the blue experience which showed the importance of being first aid trained.

https://johnroberts.me/outdoors/2015/05/when-running-goes-wrong-heart-seizu...
 steveriley 19 May 2015
In reply to John Roberts (JR):

Thanks for posting this John, chilling read and he was lucky he was in great hands. Timely post for me - I had a medical wobble very close to home this weekend and it's given me pause for thought about carrying ID, improvising routes on the fly, etc.
 JamButty 19 May 2015

Good read that, glad he's on the mend...and well done!
 DancingOnRock 19 May 2015

Very good.

That could have been a lot worse if you hadn't been there. Many years ago some of my fiends were out on a three day walk in the highlands when one of them had a heart attack. Unfortunately they were too far from help.

It does bring home how quickly things can go wrong only 30mins walk from civilisation.
 Roadrunner5 19 May 2015

Interesting but it could happen to anyone, many hikers will put their heart under more duress than a fit fell runner, admittedly they often carry more kit.

I'd never take any kit on a standard fell run in the peak for up to a few hours. Of course things can and do go wrong, look at Bill Smith. could barely see, old man, running on his own.. I doubt he'd have wanted it any other way.. he loved the uncluttered freedom of running on the fells, even refusing to wear glasses yet had failing eye sight.

I know a lot consider it irresponsible but it's a principle attraction to the sport is running uncluttered and the risks involved. My favourite runs are always those squeezed in on the first night to a new area, often in the failing light, sometimes dark.. often no map, maybe one torch at most, often nothing, the day one of those goes wrong I'll be roundly criticised. But there's a feeling of total freedom and relief those runs give you.
OP JR 19 May 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Of course it could happen to anyone - that's the point!

I'm with you - I should say - "I never got out running in weather like that or for more than a couple of hours without one." I certainly don't ALWAYS go out with one.
Post edited at 13:21
 DancingOnRock 19 May 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

People will always criticise from their armchairs. I don't know why.

I suspect they're unaware of those feelings of freedom. They're certainly unaware of the experience some of us have.
 kathrync 19 May 2015

Yes, a good read - thanks for posting and glad he is on the mend.
OP JR 19 May 2015

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
 NottsRich 20 May 2015

You mentioned in your blog that his heart "has been beating at >150 bpm for almost three days." Was that three days since being admitted to hospital, or was that prior to the run?

Scary situation.
OP JR 20 May 2015
In reply to NottsRich:
Yes from the Friday night through to the Monday after the run until it was defibrillated.
Post edited at 15:09
 Stig 20 May 2015

Powerful piece. I think I heard about this from my wife (nothing specific) a pharmacist at MRI.

Hope he is on the mend.
OP JR 20 May 2015
In reply to Stig:

Thanks Stig

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...