Frame size

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 malk 29 Apr 2015
I'm tempted by the bargain priced carrera tanneri cyclocross, but it only comes in 51 and 54cm. the sizing guide says the 54cm is suitable for 5'9"-6'2" but other sizing guides suggest I should be looking at 56/58cm for my height (6')
How far would I be able to raise the bars?
KevinD 29 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

The bar height is only a part of it and in many ways more important with regards to flexibility rather than pure height. Its the top tube length etc and whether you will have your knees round your ankles which will make a big difference.
In terms of sizing guides they tend to be more guess work than anything else. The Ape index for example can mess things up.
Then you have the problem that, just like clothing, sizing seems to be completely bloody random and the use of an actual figure may or may not bear any resemblence to what it actually is.

So, in summary, best thing is to try it and see.
 gethin_allen 29 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

At 6 foot i ride a 56 cm or equivalent road bike ( a 58 cm would be massive) , seeing as this is a cyclocross bike I imagine you'd be looking at a frame smaller than you would for a normal road bike in the same way as you would go for a smaller frame for an XC mountain bike.

So considering this, the manufacturers suggestion of a 54 cm for doesn't sound unreasonable.

Obviously you can't say for sure just by looking at numbers but it may help to look at what other manufacturers suggest.
 the sheep 29 Apr 2015
In reply to malk:

Have a sit on them, if it feels right then its probably a goer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...