The Rhum Cuillin Traverse

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JohnnyW 20 Apr 2015
......is a big day, carrying overnight packs.

And a night in the Clachan Bar in Mallaig the night before is mebbes not a good idea.

But what a trip, and what weather this weekend!

Just sayin' like.

Jim C 20 Apr 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

You really needed some one to take the cooking/sleeping gear round the coast to the bothy. Then on completion all you had to do was drop down to the bothy for the night.
OP JohnnyW 20 Apr 2015
In reply to Jim C:

I'd say. Problem was, when we came off the ferry, there wasn't the usual queue of porters vying for work that we expected, so we had to hump it all ourselves. An opportunity for the Rum Community Trust?

Bloody glad we didn't try the walk out that evening though, as that 'path' if grim eh?
 StuDoig 20 Apr 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

Aye, it's grim by the time you get to Kinloch if you walk out after the traverse, esp if you've done it straight off the Ferry so a later start for the length of day! All told I'd definitiely rather carry the bothying kit and stop at Dibidal. Porters would also be good though..... :O)

Stu

OP JohnnyW 20 Apr 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

> Bloody glad we didn't try the walk out that evening though, as that 'path' if grim eh?

'Is' grim, 'is'.......
 ScraggyGoat 20 Apr 2015
In reply to StuDoig:

What you need is some sea kayaker to drop your kit off........or hope they have dropped your kit off, the landing requires low tide and the right sea state........insist they pack your whisky behind the skeg box, that way they cannae drink it at sea and have every incentive to land (not necessarily at the bothy though!).

Now that the seasons changed, so we can safely dream without having actually get our arses in gear, do you fancy the winter traverse sometime?
 StuDoig 22 Apr 2015
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

Hmmm, don't think that I could trust a sea kayaker with my post traverse dram - notoriously unreliable when transporting other folks vital supplies... :O)

Deffo up for a winter traverse at some point. Would be an awesome outing! Might go for a tactical coal, wood and whisky dump at the bothy first though!

Coming off the last summit could be an epic bumslide...

Stu
Jim C 22 Apr 2015
In reply to JohnnyW:

The path was rough in places.

You needed to invite a couple of folks with you that were not up for the high stuff, but would 'enjoy' a walk low level to the bothy (and carry the sleeping gear/stoves)

fmck 22 Apr 2015
In reply to StuDoig:

I did it alone at Dibidil bothy between Christmas and new year a number of years ago. The forecast was good for two days with the third looking windy. When I disembarked the Calmac guy asked when I was returning. I answered in three days time. He replied " If the weather turns bad we will see you in 4 or 5 days time". This worried me as I didn't have the food to last till then.
As it turned out I had full blue skies with the hills coated in a dusting of snow. Probably my best trip and not a sole did I meet since disembarking. Due to it being the holiday period there no boats out there and the only sign of human life was at night from a single light on Eigg.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...