Winter climbing pants advice wanted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 whitewaterpops 31 Mar 2015
Hello all,

I'm looking to replace my well-used (and the rather excellent, especially considering the price) pair of Simond salopettes. I've been using them extensively in Scotland and the Alps for rock, mixed, alpine, ice and skiing. The only reason why I'm replacing them is that they now resemble Swiss cheese with all the crampon nicks I've made over the last few seasons. Looking to replace with something tough and versatile (inevitably, compromises will always have to be made). Have heard a lot of good stuff about the Paramo salopettes. Have a strong aversion to Arcteryx products. Any advice would be gratefully received! Gore vs Paramo? Soft vs Hard (current Simond are soft, but stay surprisingly dry on most days)?
 Adam_Turner 31 Mar 2015
In reply to whitewaterpops:

I've used the Mountain Equipment G2 ultimate pant (gore windstopper) for years now on all sorts from Scottish winter, alpine mountaineering and Himalayan ascents. Without a doubt the best mountain legwear I've ever used! They'll cope with most weather unless it's sideways rain then will need to be combined with a hardshell.
 Gazlynn 31 Mar 2015
I agree with Adam about the G2s. A word of warning though the regular length leg is quite short.

Your Simond pants will be a little warmer and thicker than the G2s.

Why not go for a new pair of the Simond Alpinism pants??

For me softshell is the better option as if it's teeming down with rain or snow I tend to not bother going out and the times I've been caught out in bad conditions my softshell pants have kept out the worse of the weather.

I've had a pair of the paramo salopettes the down side is they are very heavy but are waterproof and very warm maybe even too warm at times.

Good Luck with your choice

cheers

Gaz

Post edited at 12:45
In reply to Gazlynn:

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. TBH, buying another pair of the Simond ones is very much an option. I thought I'd sample the market/online forums for some feedback in case something has changed in the world of winter pants since I last bought a pair!

The G2s look solid.

Thanks again for the advice.
 iksander 31 Mar 2015

Needlesports still have a few sizes of Rab Stretch Neo Pants trousers on special offer if you're in the market for hardish shell
 BnB 31 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:

> Needlesports still have a few sizes of Rab Stretch Neo Pants trousers on special offer if you're in the market for hardish shell

These are good value, super comfortable and breathable (for hardshell), but quite thin (poor insulation) and not particularly durable. I layer them over a pair of Montane Sabretooth pants and, for the reasons cited above, this makes a great combo.

I would stay clear of Paramo,the fabric is good for Jock winter but the cut is seriously bizarre,they have too many zips and poppers and fastenings and the padding has a habit of migrating.

The Simond Alpinism pants are great if they fit,or of course there are things like Marmot Pro Tour (try facewest.co.ok) or Patagonia Backcountry Guides,always heavily reduced somewhere.
drmarten 31 Mar 2015

Please don't call trousers pants. We'll be calling an arse a fanny next.

I'm another user of the Simonds softshells, I wear merino leggings underneath and the combination has proved comfortable and warm. For the price (£40 I paid in December past) I don't think you'll do any better.

Or just sew up the holes with a zig-zag stitch...
In reply to drmarten:

Quite right, sir. I stand corrected.

That's the set up I've been using. Perhaps the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" stands in this case (other than the trousers, that is).
drmarten 01 Apr 2015

> "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I was going to include that phrase in my post in the first place. In December I ordered two pairs of more expensive winter trousers, one of them being the Patagonia Backcountry's and I can't remember the other but up there in the same price bracket. Neither of them were satisfactory, the backcountry's in particular were obviously sized at the bottom for ski boots and were way too baggy and had no braces. I sent both pairs of trousers back and I'm happy that I've got the better option with the cheaper Simonds.
Wish they did them in a light grey though...

stouffer 01 Apr 2015

What's the sizing like on those Simond Alpinism jobbies? I've seen them recommended elsewhere on here but can't find any sizing info on either the Decathlon or Simond websites.
 galpinos 01 Apr 2015
In reply to drmarten:

The backcountry guides must have changed a lot, mine are nearly too narrow for ski boots (I graze my knuckles trying to them over the buckles, have braces and are a very narrow fit, my wife says they look like skinny chinos (they are a tan colour). I’ve used them for all winter climbing, skiing and ski touring escapades for the last 5 or 6 years.
 Greylag 01 Apr 2015
In reply to stouffer:

ive found them a little tight on the croch but once embroiled in a climb I soon forgot about that.

waterproofness and warmth were fine (though I had thermals on too) in Scotland.

for the price id recommend them. that way when a crampon slices through them it isn't the end of the world!
 stouffer 01 Apr 2015
In reply to greylag:

Tight on the crotch? *Adds to basket*
 Greylag 01 Apr 2015
In reply to stouffer:

I knew when writing that I would get a response but I had no other way to describe the fit!

maybe it's just me! ahem
In reply to stouffer:

I've got a medium. I'm 6ft, c. 78kgs. Fits really nicely to be honest, but the suspenders are a must for me, and I have to cross them over my shoulders for them to be tight enough. The trousers feel quite skinny, which is what I like for mixed climbing.

I'll pass on the crotch fit discussion as it is already getting good.
In reply to stouffer:

Most Decathlon stuff is sized small, so you may need to go up one size over your 'regular'. I'm usually 'S', but need 'M' in Decathlon.

I'm 32" waist, 31" inside leg, and their medium trousers fit me fine, the Simond Alpinism (well, Quechua Bionnassay in my case), the Forclaz 900s, etc.
 alasdair19 02 Apr 2015

there are now better fitting and more expensive paramo available. I'm a big fan of their jackets and will likely replace my hard shells with them when they die.

The Simond are amazing for the money an the originals were in light grey and even had a side vent for showing a bit of leg!

The arcteryx soft shells are v good fit but you definitely pay for it.
 Billhook 02 Apr 2015

a) If you're English I'd go steady on the suspenders, especially on the hill. My wife wears them at home and under a skirt, but me?...................... Stick to braces.

b) If your an american I think you might just want to call them braces. We wear them to hold up our trousers rather than our teeth. (see a) above)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...