mammut redburn approach shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fire_munki 21 Mar 2015
Anyone tried them?
Toss up between them and the classic sportiva boulder x's.
Want to climb diff/vdiff's, amble to crag, and post climb pub.
In reply to fire_munki:

I bot a pair last year look good ,comfy however there's loads of roll on them
On anything like steep ground I found the Sole unit pretty poor and not much grip
In fact after my 2/3 uses the sole is coming away I only wear them driving to and from Trips now
 Nordie_matt 21 Mar 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Personally I didn't like them, didn't find the sole very grippy, durability was a bit cack and I found them a terrible fit (for me) which resulted in a corn on my little toe.

Back to camp 4 it was for me...
craigloon 21 Mar 2015
In reply to fire_munki:
I wear mine every day and never had the durability or other issues mentioned. I've also used them for scrambling on the Skye Ridge and they worked a treat. Never had a pair of the Sportivas so can't compare.
Post edited at 21:33
 Rich L 22 Mar 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

I have the lined, and unlined, versions.

I wear them almost everyday, and have not had any real problems with durability. However, they do tend to wear quickly around the heel, and this did possibly cause them to be uncomfortable in this area initially.

Climbing-wise, I have never done anything more serious than easy bouldering, although I did use them indoors on a few occasions to test them out. I did not find the rubber particularly sticky, and had far better results with the Mammut Obelisk, which is perhaps more climbing, and less approach orientated.

I purchased both versions almost new on ebay, at around half the usual price. Would I buy them at full price? Probably not.
In reply to fire_munki:
Don't see how you can better the 5.10 Guide Tennie. The comfort/feel of trainers with nearly rock shoe ability on climbs.
Not waterproof though.
Post edited at 08:15
 john spence 23 Mar 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

I bought a pair of the gtx version from GO last week , wore them indoors for an hour or so then took them back for a refund...rubbing under ankle on one foot, thought they were poorly constructed. Read the reviews on the GO website, of 17 reviews 7 gave only one star.
OP fire_munki 23 Mar 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

Think I'll give them a miss then! Not a great deal cheeper than boulder X or xplorers really.
 iksander 23 Mar 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

I've got the Redburn GTX boots. The "climbing zone" rubber's not sticky but would be fine for VDiffs (assuming you're operating a few grades above that of course). Tred's a bit light for UK mud. They're very light for a boot and overall they're pretty good in my experience.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...