Climbing Mount Fuji and other treks in the Japanese Alps in May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mel 21 Mar 2015
I am going to Japan for work at the end of May, and have a week holiday before or after. If at all possible I would like to climb Mount Fuji, but I am also looking at some of the multi-day treks in the Japanese Alps.

In general, which week would be better to go trekking, mid-May (11-19th) or first week in June (1-6)? I realise there is still a lot of snow about that time of the year, so a later trip would be better, but I also gather June is the rain season?

I am an experienced mountaineer, climb Alpine AD, rock VS, Scottish IV, but I will be on my own, so I won't be doing any technical climbing. I will have crampons and axe with me. Although if anyone happens to be about I'd be keen to partner up and do some climbing?

AlexM 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Mel:

Climb Mount Fuji if you really want to do it. But a trek in the Japanese Alps will be more fun! Don't worry too much about the weather for either week. You might be unlucky with a spot (or torrent) of rain, but I've never seen anything here as bad as some of the weather in the UK!! But watch the heat in summer.
 wiwwim 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Mel:

if you need a day trip from tokyo or on route to nagano (by bus), then check out mount myogi (myogi-san). Its via ferata type stuff but great fun. see:
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Myogi-San

I saw monkey's on this one! Good idea to have via ferrata gear although some of it is soloing.
 The New NickB 21 Mar 2015
In reply to Mel:
Fuji has a climbing season, July and August. You can climb it other times, but you are likely to have problems getting transport to and from.

Nikko is very accessible from Tokyo, interesting culturally and a gateway to some nice walking up 2,500m peaks. Watch out for the monkeys.
Post edited at 17:05
OP Mel 23 Mar 2015
In reply to camalins: Thanks for the advice! I have heard Fuji in season is very busy, but hopefully it will be ok when I am there. I reckon I will have time for both, hopefully.

So are you saying I still stand a chance of good weather in early June, and it won't be Monsoon like?
OP Mel 23 Mar 2015
In reply to wiwwim: Cool - that looks a good peak, I will bring my ferrata kit! Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
OP Mel 23 Mar 2015
In reply to The New NickB: Thanks! Too much choice for a week's holiday I will have a look at Nikko too!
 AlexM 24 Mar 2015
In reply to Mel:

> So are you saying I still stand a chance of good weather in early June, and it won't be Monsoon like?

You could be unlucky and catch some rain. But, I'm saying the weather is here is much better than the UK. If you are unlucky with bad weather, it usually clears out in a couple of days and it is back to blue skies again. So, you stand a very good chance of getting stuff done in either early June or Mid-May !!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...