Cycle touring / wild camping in England

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Well I've been reading for the last few hours and got past the the first rule of wild camping is you don't talk about wild camping, there's a decent amount of info out there. CTC website been the most informed.

Basically on my lonesome I'm going go from Barnsley, up the Pennine bridleway to the start of the way of roses, ride west to east then ride home in the next month or so.
The whole task of searching for campsites still seems almost stuck in the pre internet age, and having to plan in advance and ring up to book and pay £12 for a few hours in a field which I have to get to on a schedule all seems a bit too regimented. I don't have a lot of fitness right now so chill out and ride all day eat an hour from sunset then find a spot to bivi, break camp at first light sounds like the most hassle free way of going on a little tour.

I have some military service in the database, plus the usual punter type climbing bivi's, half a dozen Polaris type challenges, and a few other things, but all the rest is goin be learning on the road, so if anyone wants to share any info, tips or experience of road trips it all helps.

cheers
Post edited at 23:19
 Kimono 14 Mar 2015
In reply to John Simpson:

my advice is this:
wait until summer!
In reply to Kimono:
I've got a few summer ideas, which i need some miles in my legs for, which is the main reason for this short tour cheers anyway.
Post edited at 23:08
 Climb Hamster 14 Mar 2015

There may be some helpful info on this site:
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php
In reply to Climb Hamster:

> There may be some helpful info on this site:

cheers Hamster not seen this one will read
 Kimono 14 Mar 2015

Ah well, if you're determined...

Im sure this is obvious, but go as light-weight as possible.
I have a personal hatred of panniers and will go to all lengths to avoid them. If I'm hostel-touring then i can get everything i need in my appkit (oversize) saddlebag.

However, if bivying, then you're going to need at least a couple more bags....under crossbar or on the handlebars i guess
 TobyA 15 Mar 2015

Have you come across the term "Bikepacking" yet? Basically, just going touring in a very lightweight way, strapping bags to your bike in various ways, so that you don't need racks and panniers. If you start googling bikepacking you'll find loads of blogs and website and can enjoy some fun reading of amazing people doing ridiculous cycle journeys quietly and with out any fuss.

My limited experiences (all positive) of bikepacking are readable here: http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/bikepacking
In reply to TobyA and Kimono,

Cheers guys, the whole weight carrying job on the bike isn't really an issue to me, regardless of what we may think the best way to tour is, the weight we carry has a exact measurement, how we choose to distribute this weight depends on the specific journey in hand, for me to get the most from my little tour as it's 100% rideable, its a low centre of gravity with the weight on the back axle. I.E. Rack and panniers. Thus if needed stick it in granny and spin all day.

What I'm more concerned with is hence the title; Do I plan ahead and camp at prebooked sites or do i just ride till the overnight spot is obvious to see and bivi there? And that been the case what is the best strategy for this plan? Which is why I'm asking for experience of this.
 Kimono 15 Mar 2015

OK, fair enough.
Well, i haven't cycle-toured like this so can only offer advice from my hiking experience which is that i tend to just walk and then bivi when i feel the need or i find a nice spot. I don't like to book ahead as i never quite know how the day is going to turn out.
I have done the same with biking and hostelling and I'm sure id do the same with bike/bivi.

Anyway, whatever you do, i hope you get good weather!
 summo 15 Mar 2015
apart from some stealth camping in woods etc. if close by just ask a farmer about his field, if they waver, offer them a fiver and say you'll be gone a first light. A farmers only concern will be litter or fires. Even quiet rural pubs mid week, buy a couple of drinks or bar meal, camp in the beer garden. You'd get a bar meal for less than a pitch on a normal camp site.
Post edited at 06:25
 Indy 15 Mar 2015

I'd agree that the odd night of wild camping can be liberating but having a good campsite to go to with a hot shower and the peace of mind that your not going to have an irate landowner trying to move you on at some unsociable/inconvenient time allows you to enjoy your trip rather than have that niggly feeling of rush rush hide hide.
Have fun.
Rigid Raider 15 Mar 2015

I would stop worrying about finding places! You can nip into a wood or behing a wall, put up the tent and be away before anybody else comes along. I like the idea of camping in pub gardens, not sure how the publicans might react though - no harm in asking.

Hoof a hole as a toilet and re-cover with turf and nobody will know you were there.
In reply to Kimono:

> Anyway, whatever you do, i hope you get good weather!

Thanks, yeah I take your point about the weather it's quite a long season, so starting when it's a bit warmer will make things easier, plus will allow to get some miles in and work a better plan than cuffing it on the way, cheers.
In reply to summo:

> apart from some stealth camping in woods etc. if close by just ask a farmer about his field, if they waver, offer them a fiver and say you'll be gone a first light. A farmers only concern will be litter or fires. Even quiet rural pubs mid week, buy a couple of drinks or bar meal, camp in the beer garden. You'd get a bar meal for less than a pitch on a normal camp site.

Thanks good tips.
In reply to Indy:

> I'd agree that the odd night of wild camping can be liberating but having a good campsite to go to with a hot shower and the peace of mind that your not going to have an irate landowner trying to move you on at some unsociable/inconvenient time allows you to enjoy your trip rather than have that niggly feeling of rush rush hide hide.

This is what i was thinking, if you have to plan your route around point to point you lose a bit of freedom or distance, but then if you're more into a unplanned survive on the journey trip it's probably a similar feeling.

> Have fun.

cheers
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> I would stop worrying about finding places! You can nip into a wood or behing a wall, put up the tent and be away before anybody else comes along. I like the idea of camping in pub gardens, not sure how the publicans might react though - no harm in asking.

> Hoof a hole as a toilet and re-cover with turf and nobody will know you were there.

I think this probably was my main cause of worry, how do you plan for where to stop if you don't know the terrain, i guess if you have the right kit and you're switched on, you'll be fine.

For me this thread had sped the planning process up as you get quicker feedback than if you think it all through yourself. So I think my best way forwards, is to put the trip back a good month or so, have a rough plan not to make it too hard and aim for around 70 miles a day, but if things change having the set up to be able to wild or pub camp in relative comfort.

cheers My initial query is answered.

P.s with a callsign of Rigid Raider, I'd guess that you must have been Royal.
 Clarence 15 Mar 2015

I have only ever done single-nighters with a minimum of kit in a 30l rucksack but the best thing I did was to cable tie a couple of tough plastic rings to my crossbar, using a section of old inner tube to protect the paintwork. This allowed me to use a basic small tarp attached to the bike frame as a shelter. On the second try I even managed to get the chain on the outside...
In reply to Clarence:

That sounds lightweight at least, I have a tent, so I may as well get my moneys worth.

Just found this site, this is great

http://tomsbiketrip.com/how-to-camp-anywhere-and-not-get-busted/
Post edited at 11:40
 arandall 15 Mar 2015
Me and friend went touring for a few days at the start of March in the South West. We wild camped with a tent each day and had no problems with it. We had rear panniers to carry everything. Not sure how far your planning to go each day, we were doing 60 miles, which was ok but 50 might have been more enjoyable for the length of the days.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...