Video of Ledge Route Yesterday

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Johnson 14 Mar 2015
Hi folks. Heres a short video of Ledge Route yesterday, filmed on my drone. vimeo.com/122176878
 IM 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Brilliant, enjoyed that.
 buffalo606 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Great
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Really enjoyed that, brings the mountain and cliffs alive!

Stuart
 mcdweeb 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Very good, how did you do it? Be interested to know the rough costs of the drone set-up and which one, Ta.
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Absolutely beautifully shot. A work of art.
OP Rob Johnson 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Thanks Gordon, thats very kind.
 duchessofmalfi 14 Mar 2015

zeeeeeeeeee mmmmmmmmmm zzzeeeeeeee eeee

I'll be glad when this fad goes away

zzeeeee mmmmmm eee meeeeemzzzzzzzzzzz

It strikes me you'd have had a much better day out looking at the view rather than looking at your joystick the whole day and then watching the view on your telly.

zzzzmmmmm zzeeeee mmmmm
In reply to mcdweeb:

I have been asked to put an article together in the next couple of weeks for this site so will expand more then but I used a DJI Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3 3D gimbal and GoPro Hero 4. The setup was about £1500 and the license to use it commercially about £1600. I also have a larger drone that will fly a DSLR which cost about £6k - you can spend a lot more though!
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

It probably strikes you too that Rembrandt or Vermeer or Manet would have spent their lives much better by simply looking at the world rather than fiddling about with their paintbrushes and then looking at the finished results on their canvases.
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

I don't do so bad for good days out
 planetmarshall 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Ah that's what it was - I heard something buzzing around. It's got some novelty value, but I'd make a couple of criticisms.

I found the video pretty dull, one guy plodding up a hill with some excessively dramatic music. Just my opinion mind, I know others enjoyed it.

I found the noise pretty distracting, and I was on the other side of the mountain (On Hadrian's). I'd hate to have been a climber trying to concentrate on something in the vicinity.
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Just to add that I think these devices have a lot of potential and the shots would be great as part of a larger piece, but I'd have to question using them in such a popular venue. Don't other people have the right to enjoy the mountain free of what basically amounts to noise pollution?
In reply to Rob Johnson:

That was excellent, some shots looking down on indicator wall, Orion face next please! that would be incredible.
In reply to planetmarshall:

You are Victor Meldrew and I claim my five pounds.
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Nice vid, Rob. Inspiring as always.
 IPPurewater 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Thanks. I enjoyed that !
In reply to Andy Clarke1965:

You don't find them annoying? Fair enough, maybe I'm the only one.
 alastairbegley 14 Mar 2015

> Don't other people have the right to enjoy the mountain free of what basically amounts to noise pollution?

Should climbers be banned from shouting climbing calls then...
In reply to alastairbegley:

> Should climbers be banned from shouting climbing calls then...

You really think that's comparable? If no one else finds the noise of quadcopters distracting then great, I'm in the minority and I can live with it. However I do think it's presumptive for the pilot/cameraman to just think it's OK, however pretty the footage is. Maybe Rob should upload the footage with its original soundtrack. Have you ever been to Stanage when there have been one or two buzzing around?
 felt 14 Mar 2015

> You don't find them annoying? Fair enough, maybe I'm the only one.

I very much doubt it. I too find these sorts of things deeply intrusive. What to do about them? Who knows. We've lost the purity of our blue skies to the graffiti of aircraft trails, and the peace of the countryside to motorcycle wasps; now we're to lose the peace of the mountains to these irritating whirrings. A sad day.
 Howardw1968 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

I'm in agreement nice shots but the music annoyed me it was dramatic for no reason it's not as if the walker looked like they were having an epic trek through a snow and ice filled reaching some high goal, more like they were out for a stroll on a pleasant winters day perhaps the pastroal symphony would have done the trick.
Removed User 14 Mar 2015
> I found the video pretty dull, one guy plodding up a hill with some excessively dramatic music. Just my opinion mind, I know others enjoyed it.

I thought it was a great film but each to their own.

> I found the noise pretty distracting, and I was on the other side of the mountain (On Hadrian's). I'd hate to have been a climber trying to concentrate on something in the vicinity.

This.

It is difficult to object too strenuously given that, I assume, drone film-makers will not be out on the crags all day every day, but if it went on too long it would piss me off. AFAIK, most of them can only fly about an hour per charge.
Post edited at 19:52
 gbloomer 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:
Cool!!!
Great perspective and showcase of the mountain. Wise choice to use a route that shows movement over distance.
Post edited at 20:06

Hi there and apologies that the noise was annoying yesterday. I am a climber first and photographer second so can completely understand your point of view and do take that into account when I'm out.

I took 32 minutes of footage yesterday as thats all I could get out of 4 batteries in the cold so it is self limiting to a certain extent but as I say I completely empathise with your point. I also agree that the drone footage is best used as part of a wider project, rather than in isolation. It loses its impact otherwise and gets tedious.

Thanks also to those giving feedback on the music, its genuinely appreciated as I am new to using royalty free music and its definitely not as easy as choosing a track that inspires me from my iPod!
Lusk 14 Mar 2015

In a few years time when there are loads buzzing around, I think there will be good sport to had with a powerful catapult and a pocket full of ball bearings!
 Huw Gilbert 14 Mar 2015

Yeh! And was that route even in condition? Vandal!
In reply to Rob Johnson:

As I said, I think that these things have loads of potential. I'd love to see footage of Orion Face done in this way but it has to be balanced with consideration given to other people on the mountain. Not sure I'd like to be on a tenuous crux pitch with one hovering a few metres above my head.

Maybe improvements in the technology will make them less obtrusive ( for those who find them so ), as well as improving the battery life.
 colin fagan 14 Mar 2015
in reply to Rob Johnson

Excellent footage! Was there no problem in landing the drones on ledge route to change the batteries,
or does it hold multiple batteries? I also saw a video were the drone went out of range (1000 mtrs i think) and it
returned to its starting point.
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Beautiful film Rob. We were finishing Harrisons at the time and I wondered where the buzz was coming from (I didn't mind it)
 J Brown 14 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Really enjoyable viewing.
 Joak 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

> Beautiful film Rob. We were finishing Harrisons at the time and I wondered where the buzz was coming from (I didn't mind it)

I've morphed into a grumpy auld noise abatement fart. I dislike in equal measure barking dogs and farting mice. My ascent of Eagle Ridge on Lochnagar just happened to coincide with a very loud chopper flying to and fro resupplying the rescue box for about 90 minutes. Communication between me and my partner above the din was nigh on impossible. My displeasure must have been obvious on their infared camera. Once on the Ben I could clearly hear the intrusive shrill cry of the Steam train returning from Mallaig. Shoosh, people are climbing!! Really enjoyed the film Rob
 ericinbristol 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Superb, inspiring, well done.
OP Rob Johnson 15 Mar 2015
In reply to colin fagan:

Hi Colin, I couldn't land it on the ground. I used catch landings each time. For take offs I cut snow ledges as a platform. Under the CAA regs I can fly a distance of 500m away and 400 feet up from where I am stood and I have to maintain visual line of site.

Thanks again to all for the comments.
 summo 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

What about flying within sight or sound of other people under taking a potentially dangerous activity?

I won't be watching it, but any people filmed with or without permission?
 andyinglis 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson: Nice video Rob and always great speaking to enthusiastic people on the mountain, whatever their focus or interest, and thats certainly the first time I've seen a drone in the mountains! Should have suggested you bring it round to Raeburns wall afterwards and you could have got some cool footage of Uisdean on some steep and unusual ice!

Cheers
Andy

buzby 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:
excellent , liked it a lot, I can see how it might divide opinion, if there were lots about it would be annoying but just one for half an hour seems reasonable to me.
Post edited at 08:42
 andyinglis 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Summo: Relax, the 2 other people in the video walking on top were asked before hand whether they were happy to be filmed.

alastairbegley 15 Mar 2015
In reply to summo:

Although it is polite to, there is no requirement under UK law to ask for permission to film people in a public place.

Given that in winter you normally have to deal with the sound of wind, unexpected spindrift, gusts of wind, unfortunately maybe the odd rescue helicopter and falling ice. I fail to see how the buzzing of the drone could be argued as distracting or dangerous (which as Rob pointed out can't have gone on for more than 30mins throughout the day due to battery limitations).

Personally, when I am leading the world could end around me and I would be unaware. I often climb in noisy environments such as the avon gorge and sea cliffs and when I am leading a hard route I don't notice the sound at all, the only effect it has is while belay or trying to communicate with the belayer. (Hence my comment about climbers calls earlier, as I try and listen for these in case my belayer is trying to contact me, hence they do distract me)
 jshields 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Stunning, thanks Rob.
 Brian Pollock 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Fantastic. So much potential there.
OP Rob Johnson 15 Mar 2015
In reply to andyinglis:

Thanks Andy, it was great to meet you to.

In reply to summo: I did make sure not to film anyone else apart from two guys I met at the top and, as Andy says, I made sure I asked their permission before I filmed them walking over the summit area. The CAA rules state we cannot fly within 50m of people who have not given their consent or are not under our control if we are using the drone with a camera on it.
 DundeeDave 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Great film Rob. Pity you'd couldn't have made it the day after when we were up.

I kind of agree with some of the comments about the dramatic film music, but it's not that bad overall.

summo 15 Mar 2015
In reply to alastairbegley:

all those things you list are either part of the mountains or essential, I don't put in drone in that list. I'm sure the film is lovely (I've not looked at it), but I go out to escape the modern world, where as much as possible it is just you and outdoors.

summo 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

I look forward to the day when CAA rules are a little harsher.
 jon 15 Mar 2015
In reply to summo:

> I'm sure the film is lovely (I've not looked at it

Go on. You know you want to.
 SimonCRMC 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Just wanted to add my voice to the other people who loved this video - beautiful and inspiring! Great piece of work.
 tjdodd 15 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

I thought it was a really nice video, well shot and put together. It is interesting to hear all the comments about use of unmanned aircraft (I am a researcher in the field so refuse to use the word drone).

I expect to see a tightening of the rules on using small unmanned aircraft this year. It is only since the mass proliferation of them over xmas and then the many news items on dangerous/illegal use of them that the CAA and government have woken up to the potential issues. I think their might be a lot of annoyed people who have spent a lot on one of these recently and may find their ability to play with it significantly curtailed.

The annoying thing is that well trained and certified pilots like Rob who fly responsibly may get caught up in the need to regulate every Tom, Dick and Harry who has gone out and bought a quadcopter and is using it irresponsibly with no insurance. If you do have one at least get BMFA membership and read their article on flying quadcopters - https://bmfa.org/. It sounds like Rob is fully certified and insured for commercial use which goes well beyond the BMFA rules.

As for use in the great outdoors I can see National Park and local authorities looking at this quite closely. Some national parks overseas have already banned their use. Again I suspect it is not about the odd use by people like Rob but when everyone starts flying them around that the bans start.

Oh, and don't believe the hype, we won't be seeing these flying autonomously all over the place anytime soon.

Rob, in your article for UKC can you make sure you talk in detail about safe flying, need for insurance, BMFA membership etc (I am nothing to do with the BMFA by the way).
 keith leonard 15 Mar 2015
In reply to tjdodd:

Great film all round.
How much to look in my gutters to see if they need cleaning out?
 Tyler 15 Mar 2015
In reply to summo:

> where as much as possible it is just you and outdoors.

Might I suggest you avoid the north face of the Ben in March on good days then. Besides, the noise wasn't your sole objection, you tried to whip up some totally fatuous concern about people being filmed 'without permission' which takes moralising and taking offence on others behalf to a new level for this forum - well done, you achieved something other than knocking other people's efforts.

Rob, the film's great.
 summo 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Tyler:

> , you tried to whip up some totally fatuous concern about people being filmed 'without permission' which takes moralising

No, as I hadn't watched the film, I had no idea if people on other routes etc. were filmed etc. It was a simple question. which you seem to have taken offence to on others behalf.

buffalo606 16 Mar 2015
redsonja 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Awesome- thanks for posting it Rob
 gavmac 16 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Fantastic, really just fantastic. Look forward to seeing what else you produce with it. Your films always demonstrate someone who really loves what they do, very inspiring.

Only downside is, i'm currently stuck in the office.
redsonja 16 Mar 2015
In reply to buffalo606:

Fantastic photo- great weather by the looks of it. I'm determined to get on ledge route more than ever now!
 RomTheBear 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:
Here it is, another video of awesome conditions on the Ben, whilst I been stuck at work for past two weeks. Enough !!
Brilliant video though ! I don't think I've seen a better shot of ledge route than this one.
Post edited at 09:26
 galpinos 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

As other's have said, lots of stunning shots but interspersed with some actual climbing footage (i realise that in this instance, not really possible but for future reference) would make a really good film.

I share Planetmarshall's concerns, the odd drone every so often would annoy me but I'd live with it, if they become a common occurrence I'll soon tire of them, regardless of the quality of the footage.
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Wow! I wish I was there!
 Gazlynn 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Great Film I really enjoyed it but unfortunately I must pull you up on the British clothing grading system.

Blue trousers are for grade V climbs and over.

Green Jackets are for grade V and over.

Matching blue coloured Rucksack on a grade II is a definte NO NO.

Come on mate black or gray pants and a red or black jacket only on a grade II .

cheers

Gaz
OP Rob Johnson 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Gazlynn: Love it

Pay Attention 17 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

How annoying!

I opened this forum topic expecting to see " Video of Ledge Route Yesterday".

But it's not! It is of Ledge Route four days ago!

Really, how do you expect us to judge current winter conditions when you post under such a misleading title?
Daniel Caola 22 Mar 2015

> It probably strikes you too that Rembrandt or Vermeer or Manet would have spent their lives much better by simply looking at the world rather than fiddling about with their paintbrushes and then looking at the finished results on their canvases.

Actually I agree with that, painting's boring, I'd much rather do the real thing and go climbing than paint or look at paintings of climbing.

And that applies equally to paintings of naked ladies
Rigid Raider 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

How fast can the drone travel? I'm wondering if you could use it to film road cyclists moving at about 20 - 25 mph.
 Billhook 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Rob Johnson:

Rob, I too thought it was a wonderful video.

But clearly our days of peaceful mountain solitude and natural sounds are numbered.

I'm sure you'll be very successful in your venture. There's loads out there who will care more about get themselves video'ed rather than care about the noise pollution.
 summo 26 Mar 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> How fast can the drone travel? I'm wondering if you could use it to film road cyclists moving at about 20 - 25 mph.

I watched a film crew use one at Kvitfjell filming the world cup (skiing) a couple of weeks ago. Whilst it clearly couldn't keep up with the skier, it wasn't slow, but I imagine this drone wasn't in the low end of the budget as it was carrying a camera that was live feeding images, whilst flying and when I watched the footage at home later, it was smooth, blur free and perfectly in focus.

You'd also have to be very on the ball to do that avoiding trees and lines etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...