Best website builder?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maresia 10 Mar 2015
Can anyone recommend a good website builder? I haven't got time to build something smart but already have domain and hosting elsewhere. Obviously I'd like to keep the same email address and keep the price down - although I know I'll pay a premium for not having to code it myself.

I've had a look and the main players seem to be Weebly, Wix and Squarespace.

Cheers
KevinD 10 Mar 2015
In reply to maresia:

What does your hosting already have?
So long as you have php and mysql installing wordpress is easy enough (with most hosts providing one click) and then is easy enough to use.
 james wardle 10 Mar 2015
In reply to maresia:

Weebly does everything i need it to quickly.

http://www.stdenysboats.co.uk/
 richprideaux 11 Mar 2015
In reply to maresia:

Wordpress can do wonders, and if you do it properly people will never know. Some of the paid platforms (Wix etc) do look a bit off-the-shelf (and the shelf is in Primark) and it is sometimes obvious that you chose the cheap and quick option. There are some that look good though, and I hear good things about Squarespace.

Is it for a business? Will it matter to your customers how fancy your website is? Something I have learned painfully is that a nice, attractive website with no interest in the business from the public is no match for a shonky website that has a large following. SEO and visual design are still largely exclusive of each other, and a website that performs well purely on Google can be achieved without much in the way of technical knowledge.

Sharp 11 Mar 2015
In reply to maresia:
Wordpress. Don't use joomla whatever you do...bleurgh! Echo what Rich says, you don't need any technical coding knowledge (although it can help) but you do need to clue yourself up on the basics of SEO, there's often local workshops or webinars which are of varying use but worth going to imo.

I recently discovered my MOT was running out and not being able to get into my local garage I hit google up for "castle douglas MOT", the first website that came up was just a simple form based layout but perfect really, succinct home page with the location and contact details imediately visable, bespoke company logo, seperate page called mot with links to pages called "[town name] MOT". They could have paid for something flashy but it would have been a waste of money imo, especially in a rural area where people can't be goosed waiting for fancy images to load. It's perfectly feasible to make a well functioning website yourself in wordpress and if you build it and you invest a bit of time in learning how to make it work then you'll probably end up with something that functions better than something you pay someone to make then lies stagnant with odd changes here and there. If you keep your ear to the ground then there's quite a few options for having "experts" looking for business look at your website and give you some feedback which is invaluable and free.
Post edited at 07:59
OP maresia 11 Mar 2015
In reply to maresia:

It's going to be a website to host showreels, photos and info on experience etc. that I can refer potential employers to. No need to get good google results.

Having a play with squarespace at the moment before purchasing.
 Mark Eddy 11 Mar 2015
In reply to maresia:

Ours has been done using Weebly. Very quick and easy to use: http://www.mountain-journeys.co.uk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...