Ben Nevis - Coire Eoghainn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 drunken monkey 10 Mar 2015
Seems to have taken over as the new Five Finger Gully. A lot of people ending up in here this season.

I wonder how this has come about? Folk veering off left after coming round the CMD arete and missing the summit in poor weather? People having a complete Nav nightmare on the summit plateau and heading off in wrong direction? Prevailing winds channeling folk in this direction to escape bad weather?

It seems to have caught a few folk out this year - keeping Lochaber MRT busy.
 Billhook 10 Mar 2015
In reply to drunken monkey:

Five fingers gully - is soooooooo yesterday!! wouldn't be seen dead in there!!.
In reply to Dave Perry:

Its over-rated!! Don't go there!

Another person collected out of there this morning. Lochaber MRT considering building a wall!
 Jamie B 24 Mar 2015

Walked past the accident black-spot in good visibility last Sunday. I'd say that the snow has drifted a bit differently this year and created rises that push people in that direction if they are unaware. The "triple cairns" at the Gardyloo direction-change are also almost buried and could be easily missed.

There were all sorts up there on Sunday, many with innapropriate footwear and probably no navigational ability. Any one of them could have ended up in the shit if the weather had changed. I personally feel that more robust action has to be taken to prevent long and risky call-outs from recurring.
 simondgee 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

a webcam and a wirelessly operated trap door on the bridge would probably get a european grant...
 John Kelly 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

What you thinking?
 Sharp 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Jamie B:
What do you mean by more robust action? I haven't gone up the Pony path for a while but often descending to the lochan at this time of year I see people inappropriately dressed and in trainers/t shirt when on top there is over a meter of hard icy snow and limited visability. Is there any signage in the Glen Nevis car park to say that it is still winter confitions on the top, a picture or the snowy summit and an explanation of the difficulties you could encounter at this time of year? A lot of people don't realise the Ben stays wintery for a lot longer than other mountains.

Of course without knowing what you mean it's hard to say but I imagine that I'd rather see a wee sign in the car park than "more robust action", perhaps there's already one there.
Post edited at 07:53
 Lucy Wallace 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

I wonder whether a "Ben Nevis Ranger"/fell top assessor's post would be useful. Could be funded by donations/fees from charity walks. There is a charity/3 peaks challenge website on it's way.
 Jamie B 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Sharp:

> What do you mean by more robust action?

Not sure, just that the status quo is not satisfactory and will probably lead to a tragedy.

The signage at the bottom access is quite subtle and as such I suspect largely ignored. A warden sounds like a great idea but is probably outwith budget.

Lucy Wallace 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Jamie B:

> A warden sounds like a great idea but is probably outwith budget.

Having been involved with a fair few grant applications, I think this is something that could be resolved easily with the right will. I also recall that there was a plan to charge charities for big events but that this may have been against access laws? Not sure what the status is now?

Just been on the the Ben Nevis Partnership's website and it looks like they are advertising for a couple of ranger type posts already: http://www.nevispartnership.co.uk/newsarticle.asp?id=3787 (volunteer co-ordinator and footpath manager).
In reply to Jamie B:

It just seems strange this year. Most people who have traditionally come a cropper off the summit plateau have ended up channelled into 5 finger on the way down the tourist route. Coire Eoghainn, as you know well is the opposite direction. Hence why I was wondering if these folk had been aiming for in descent, or coming up - CMD arête? There used to be marker poles up that final slope up CMD arête to guide the last wee bit to the summit. Pretty sure they have been chopped or are lying flat on the ground now though.
 Cuthbert 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Snoweider:

There already are wardens who are over stretched. http://www.outdoorhighlands.co.uk/your-countryside-rangers/contact-us/
 kwoods 25 Mar 2015

Are we up to seven or eight now fallen into that coire this season? (surprisingly no fatalities)
 Lucy Wallace 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Cuthbert:

Aye- but they are regional rangers for the council, who cover a huge area, not at all like what I'm thinking of.
 Cuthbert 25 Mar 2015
In reply to Snoweider:

I know. There is also a specific Glen Nevis one.

I don't think a ranger is the whole answer. In fact, I don't even know if there is an answer.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...