Which winter gloves?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stevie989 22 Feb 2015
Looking to get a new pair or winter gloves for Scottish winter climbing. My £10 efforts from decathlon keep me dry but not warm!

I'm thinking either the norrona narvik long or the mountain equipment randonee.

I like to try gloves on before buy and these two seemed plenty warm enough but still left me able to grip and axe.

Any thoughts recommendations.

I'm only wanting to spend 60-80 quid. I suffer the cold but am willing to give up a little warmth for dexterity.
 HeMa 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

for ice climbers bd punishers have been the defacto glove for ages. and it is generally colder here in finland.

or has some pretty good options. i had no cold hands with my or warrants last year in scotland.
 BnB 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

I went through the process of trying multiple gloves over a period of a month and settled on the BD Punishers as the best marriage of warmth and dexterity. And right on your budget. There will be many on here who agree.
 planetmarshall 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

You could get two pairs of ME Super Alpine's for that price. At the other end of the spectrum I'm selling a pair of ME Pinnacles in a med if you're interested...
 zimpara 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

I have a pair of Salomon propellers in red. They look awesome! And they're also very well made, extremely breathable.

£60
 BnB 22 Feb 2015
In reply to planetmarshall:

ME Super Alpine are great too. But for different conditions. I take a pair of those and a pair of Punishers up the hill and choose according to temperature and wetness, usually both in the course of a day. They complement each other really well.
 alexm198 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

Another vote for BD Punishers. The best glove I've used by a long, long way.
OP Stevie989 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

Cheers guys.

Haven't gried the punishers or the super alpines

I'll try and try be a stockist in Glasgow and try them on.
 Mr-Cowdrey 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

ME Randonee gloves are brilliant. I was wearing them a few weeks ago when climbing at Clogwyn Du. It was -6 with 70+mph winds and my hands were warm when climbing. Dexterous enough to place gear on ice or mixed but I have had times where I've caught the tip of a finger in a krab but that might just be me.

The only real issue I have is when they're wet. They're fine if they're wet and you keep them on (still warm), but as soon as i take them off and then put them back on, i struggle to warm my hands again unless I'm doing something active after i.e. walking/romping up a gully. But they do take a while to wet through though, so maybe i shouldn't keep taking them off.

I use them for skiing too and have only had cold tips once after i took them off to send a text at the top of the Grand Montet and it took a few minutes once back on to warm up again, but it was nearing -10 with a breeze.

Each to their own though, i don't generally suffer from cold extremities and almost always change gloves when belaying.
OP Stevie989 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Cheers for the perspective.

Did you find that they wet right through? I do swap out for the walk back down, just big standard gloves usually, just something dry!
In reply to HeMa:

> or has some pretty good options

Do you have unnaturally long fingers...?

I tried some OR Vert gloves recently, and they had about 2cm extra length, which was a shame, because they felt nice and fitted well apart from the crazy fingers...
 Mr-Cowdrey 22 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:
not really, they felt damp but my hands were still warm with no hot aches, and they dry out pretty quick if stuffed into a jacket but near the body i.e. against your base layer/fleece. Although, they did wet right through when skiing in Verbier in December when it was raining heavily low down, but again, no cold hands as such, just damp.

Just remember, they're not classed as a waterproof glove, but do well at shedding snow.

I generally wear a thinner glove on the walk in like the MH torrison glove, climb in the Randonees and belay in mitts (My grandads old buffalo fibre pile, pertex mitts in navy blue!)
Post edited at 23:20
 HeMa 23 Feb 2015
In reply to captain paranoia:

Actually I don't have long fingers. So even if I normally wear M on OR gloves I wear S and they are about perfect. The fingers are a bit too short though.
 aldo56 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:
As I already said to you; I wear a pair of thin cycling gloves for the walk in, rab guide gloves on the climb and buffalo mitts walking out if required. Can't really fault the rab guide gloves, though they are my first pair of decent gloves. I previously used the skytecs but I found they wet out too fast and I got cold hands.
Post edited at 08:13
Rummmer 23 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/outdoor-research-adrenaline-gloves-p282690

just the job kept my fingers in -20degrees skiing in Austria.
 iksander 25 Feb 2015
In reply to Stevie989:

Randonees are good, but ME Mountain Stretch are even better IMHO (same fit, I have both!) Mountain Stretch are a bit thinner but much more water resistant. Outdoor Research gloves are also excellent - if they fit you. (I take XL in ME and L in OR gloves). On sale at SportPursuit at the mo.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...