Ice axe wood pick survival rescue tool thingy on fleabay...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Casa Alfredino 17 Feb 2015
Has anybody seen these badgers? I can't imagine anybody would be foolhardy enough to part with 68 of their finest sterling coins - is this guy fer real or is it just a massive wind up? Obviously mod the address by minusing the flea...
http://www.fleabay.co.uk/itm/ICE-AXE-WOOD-PICK-Survival-Rescue-TOOL-Climbin...
 humptydumpty 18 Feb 2015
In reply to Casa Alfredino:

wtf is that
In reply to humptydumpty:

Its fairly special isn't it. Goes a mile and a half past gear4rocks kit... that looks positively safe compared to this!
 Pete Houghton 18 Feb 2015

I don't think we should make any rash judgements until someone's given them a thorough testing.
In reply to Pete Houghton:

Are you volunteering for the job?
 timjones 18 Feb 2015

It's a copy of an old design. If you fancied going retro, it could be as effective as a walking axe on low angle snow.

Fleabay actually redirects to eBay! That's fun
 GarethSL 18 Feb 2015

Looks like a GCSE design tech project.

(which would actually be pretty impressive if it was)
In reply to GarethSL:

Really? All I can see is some poor material choice, some fairly horrific welding, poor workmanship pretty much all over it and a total lack of design skill... if it's a copy of some historical piece then he should be selling it as that, not trying to tell people that it's actually useful... if it really was a GCSE design tech project the teacher should be ashamed for not giving enough guidance... even if you're not a climber you'd be able to think it through logically...
 Pete Houghton 18 Feb 2015

Good lord no, are you mad? The responsibility lies with the designer. Preferably on easy-ish ground with lots of cameras pointing at them.
 GarethSL 18 Feb 2015

I don't know about you, but I don't know any 15 year olds capable of welding

Agree with you on the rest tho.
 deepsoup 18 Feb 2015
Awesome.
Get yourself a pair of these to go with it and you're away! :O)
https://www.thebmc.co.uk/dangerous-crampons-online?s=4
In reply to GarethSL:
Really? I was using a lathe and milling machine when I was 16, brazing at 17, making electronic circuit boards when I was 15 - my DT project was making a head-up display for a car - I had to convince someone at pilkington glass to give me a piece of half silvered mirror out of an F-16... I'm pretty certain if I can do that lot there's going to be a kid who can weld stainless...
Post edited at 13:13
In reply to GarethSL:

In fact thinking about it I wanted to design a technical ice tool for my a-level project but I was told it wasn't hard enough so I made a bad suspension bike instead. Retrospectively, an Ice axe would have been exactly the right size project but my teacher was an idiot...
 deepsoup 18 Feb 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

Ha ha. That is truly magnificent! :O)
 d_b 18 Feb 2015
In reply to GarethSL:

One of my mates appears intent on teaching his small child to weld, probably because an 8 year old can fit into smaller spaces & work on fiddly bits of his car.
In reply to davidbeynon:

As a left-hander, my dad used to get me to do the fiddly screws in hard-to-reach places he couldn't get into...

I'm sure plenty of school kids could weld, given access to oxy-acetylene kit. It's not that hard. I made my first soldered joint at 6 years old, to make a concealed foot switch from a piece of PCB and a strip of phosphor-bronze.
 butteredfrog 18 Feb 2015

Why does your link work for everyone except me, I want to see this now, but clicking just takes me to flee bay's homepage. It's like trying to peer over a high hedge!
 andrewmc 18 Feb 2015
In reply to butteredfrog:

Edit the url (replace 'fleabay' with the usual website)...
 beardy mike 18 Feb 2015
In reply to butteredfrog:

Copy and paste the link into your url thingy and change the flea to e...
 butteredfrog 18 Feb 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

Got it!

That's fantastic, a modular ice axe, made by someone who has never seen an ice axe and looks to be working from a "Chinese whispers" description. If whoever made it had been shown a photo, they could have probably come up with something quite reasonable looking.

On the positive side, would be quite useful for a bit of emergency path building!
 John Ww 18 Feb 2015

Brilliant!! Holy (wholly) shit!!!

JW
 Hay 18 Feb 2015
Looks like it would be pish as a hookaroon as well,
Belter.
 StuA15 18 Feb 2015

Alarm bells should be ringing when a check of the sellers other "products" shows mainly Nail files/polish etc!!!

Mental the utter drivel some people sell (and buy!) on there.
 jon 18 Feb 2015
In reply to beardy mike:

> Copy and paste the link into your url thingy and change the flea to e...

I've just done that but it won't work for me. I just get what butteredfrog got at first...

I can't get to the page either, it's not there now.

I think this gets posted on ebay every year in the hope some know-nowt will cough up for it.
 Jimbo C 18 Feb 2015

Wtf. That is all.

Soz to all the people who can't get to it - it's ukc's anti ebay policy. Well not anti ebay, but I didn't feel like shelling out the requisite 5 quid to advertise for the geezer. It's item number 121266668499 so just cut and past that into the search box in fleabay...

Not the one that was on ebay this time last year, but equally ridiculous!
 deepsoup 19 Feb 2015

> Soz to all the people who can't get to it - it's ukc's anti ebay policy. Well not anti ebay, but I didn't feel like shelling out the requisite 5 quid to advertise for the geezer. It's item number 121266668499 so just cut and past that into the search box in fleabay...

Alternatively, the folks who can't see it could try this: http://tinyurl.com/q46zhfw

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...