Which Guidebook for Symonds Yat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperLee1985 06 Feb 2015
There seem to be 2 guidebooks covering this area, both by the climbers club.
Southwest Climbs volume 1
and
Symonds Yat

Southwest climbs seems to have the same number of climbs for the Symonds Yat area as the definitive Symonds Yat guidebook so it would seem like a no-brainder to go for the southwest climbs one, unless i am missing something.
Is the quality of the definitive Symonds Yat one better? I.e. More Photos/better topos?
I generally prefer guidebooks with photo topos for every route and I know a lot of CC guidebooks have hand drawn topos or just descriptions of routes.
Any advice form anyone who has used one or both of these guidebooks would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Lee
 whenry 06 Feb 2015
In reply to SuperLee1985:

South West Climbs has far fewer climbs that are at the Yat, but covers a much broader area. If you're local, get the definitive guide - it's got pretty comprehensive photo topos, and you would find reasonably shortly that you want the definitive for the extra routes. If you aren't local... West Country Climbs is a better guidebook that South West Climbs (IMHO), but it doesn't cover the Yat.
 Ander 06 Feb 2015

I'm fairly certain you're missing something- South West Climbs is a 'selected guidebook' where Symonds Yat is 'definitive'.

If you're on one, or a few, visits then the South West Climbs would do the trick. If you're likely to spend a fair bit of time there, then I'd go for the definitive.
 Ander 06 Feb 2015
In reply to whenry:
> (In reply to SuperLee1985)
West Country Climbs is a better guidebook that South West Climbs (IMHO), but it doesn't cover the Yat.

Now there's a debate to be had!
OP SuperLee1985 11 Feb 2015

Ok thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll go for the definitive.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...