Ski suggestions please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 21 Jan 2015
I'm looking for a replacement for my Scott Missions to use on days and runs when my Whitedot Preachers get a little unwieldy, eg icy conditions on and off piste and touring. I'm finding the Missions are too flappy. I was thinking 90ish underfoot, medium to long turn radius, traditional camber (I've tried tip rockers but didn't like them) stiff and light. Any suggestions to try? Thanks
 DaveHK 21 Jan 2015
In reply to kevin stephens:

In time honoured UKC tradition I'll just reccommend what I've got...

Probably not exactly what you're looking for but Trab Ripidos are 88 underfoot with traditional camber and are stiff and light so they meet those criteria anyway.
 Rob84 22 Jan 2015

I've got Movement Magnets at the moment and they are brilliant - they do have very light tip and tail rocker but nothing like the full on powder rocker you find on proper fat skis and a good amount of camber. They are my lightweight touring/hard snow setup and are perfect for that - definitely not flappy, light but still pack a punch. Plus they are still great in deep snow - almost as much fun as my 108 underfoot fat skis if you find some powder on a tour. Maybe look at the K2 backside series too - a friend has an older version of the Wayback 88 and they seem to be really good skis for what you're after: http://k2skis.com/skis/wayback-88
 petellis 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Rob84:

Re the K2 series:

My K2 Coombacks seem to cope well with harder snow and ice but they might be a little soft for your taste. They do carve very easily and I find a I can lean fairly hard on them when doing so so that is the piste bit of your requirement (although I am generally not very ski fit when I do ski so take it with a pinch of salt). They do the touring bit reasonably well and seem to handle choppy icy conditions ok. Just generally seem to behave well although they are a bit bigger than the 90 mm youare after.
 HeMa 22 Jan 2015
In reply to Rob84:

> K2 backside series too - a friend has an older version of the Wayback 88 and they seem to be really good skis for what you're after: http://k2skis.com/skis/wayback-88

Hardside as well, come to mind.

Stable and stiff enough. Plus often really cheap.

Some Atomic stuff might as well fit the bill. As would Dynastars.

In reply to HeMa:

Thanks. Looking at the K2 website the K2 Rictor 90 XTI looks interesting. Any thoughts?
 DaveHK 23 Jan 2015

> Thanks. Looking at the K2 website the K2 Rictor 90 XTI looks interesting. Any thoughts?

Thought you wanted a light ski? Light is a variable concept! The Rictor gets good reviews.

Some folks reccommending Waybacks, I'd say if you found Missions flappy then you'll find the same with Waybacks.
 spragglerocks 23 Jan 2015

Phil at Backcountry raves about these, my mate bought some too and likes them.

http://www.backcountryuk.com/blog/2014/07/22/atomic-backland-drifter-2015-s...
http://www.atomic.com/en-GB/Products/alpine/skis/bc-touring/BACKLAND_DRIFTE...

Not sure if they are quite what you're looking for but I have the Waybacks at the moment and would definitely look at the atomics to replace them.
In reply to DaveHK:

I guess I mean light compared to the Preachers..
In reply to spragglerocks:

Thanks, they look very good but I'm really looking for something less wide as my, the Atomics would overlap with what I would use the Preachers for. Has anyone else got any suggestions? I recognise I will need to compromise at some point between weight and stiffness

Rossignol Experience 88, very good ski
 WillCass 12 Feb 2015
Blizzard Bonafide, full sidewall, slight tip and tail rocker though.
Post edited at 20:48

Has anyone tried the Dynastar Powertrack 89?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...