Looking for AA rechargeable battery pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 09 Jan 2015
I have a LED Lenser H14 (fantastic headtorch) which takes 4 AA batteries.

These dark winter night running trips are using up my batteries.

Is there such a thing as a rechargeable battery 'block' that would fit instead of four separate AAs?

Otherwise, recommendations for the best AA rechargeable batteries please.
 LastBoyScout 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Fredt:
Don't know about "blocks", but I am currently using Uniross Hybrio 2400 mAh or Energiser 2000 mAh AA batteries.

The Hybrio are the newer versions of the Ultra 2100 mAh ones I've also got.

Got the Hybrio on ebay, Ultras from Cotswolds and the Energiser ones in Boots in a promotion, I think.

Seem to be pretty good - I'm using them in my bike lights and other things, although I've not timed the usage. Oddly, the cat flap doesn't seem to like rechargeables and the low battery light comes on after a couple of weeks on any set where normal Duracell batteries keep going for a few months. Not 100% convinced my charger is completely compatible with these new breed high capacity batteries, though - you might want to get a new one of those, too.

Edit - just noticed Uniross have a 2600 mAh version available now.
Post edited at 12:09
 jkarran 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Yes you can buy rechargeable 4cell AA battery packs from crap up to very high capacity. Model shops sell them, they're the usual power source for mid-sized model aircraft control systems. The problem you'll have is connecting them to your torch since they're basically a sealed block with leads. They're (NiMH and NiCd) also slightly lower voltage than alkaline cells which may or may not be a problem (probably not). If your torch takes individual cells I'd buy 4 high capacity NiMH AA cells and a charger for them from a brand you've heard of or from a site with product reviews. Varta, Panasonic, Duracell, Energiser, Sanyo all make decent batteries but that's not to warn you off others, just avoid the '10 for £2' no brand junk and you should be fine. If you run in very cold weather NiCd might work better but the capacity is much lower.

jk
Post edited at 12:18
 LastBoyScout 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Fredt:
jkarran makes a good point - I forgot to mention the lower voltage, which is probably the reason the cat flap doesn't like them.

All my rechargeables mentioned in previous post state 1.2v - in order to get the full 6 volts you'd get from 4 "ordinary" AAs, you'd need to wire up 5 rechargeables.
Post edited at 12:24
 Sean_J 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Sanyo Eneloop batteries. Store a charge extremely well and don't need topping up after a few months, work well down to -20C (i've used them in -35 and they were fine), i've been using them for years now having tried a lot of others and wouldn't use anything else now.
 Garbhanach 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Fredt:

Another vote for Sanyo Eneloop http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-rechargeable-batteries/

Loooked at Amazon reviews for the Uniross Hybrio metioned above and some say they are slightly bigger than normal AA and don't fit in some appliances.

I have a led lenser H5 and have used NIMH rechargables in that with no problems.
 LastBoyScout 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Garbhanach:

I'll look out for them next time I need some.

> Loooked at Amazon reviews for the Uniross Hybrio metioned above and some say they are slightly bigger than normal AA and don't fit in some appliances.

Not heard of that before and not had any problems fitting in anything I've put them in so far - including bike headlights, TV remotes, cat flap, camping lantern and little one's toys.
 Guy Hurst 09 Jan 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I've not had any problem with the Uniross Hybrio batteries fitting head torches, or anything else. The Eneloops are also good; maybe even better than the Hybrios. Either will last longer and perform better if you get a decent charger -- something like the Technoline BL700.
In reply to Fredt:
I use these in my head torch and they seem pretty good, give good constant output and charge pretty quickly too (also have the associated charger)

http://www.energizer.com/batteries/rechargeable-batteries/Pages/power-plus-...

The charger can do AAA too, which is handy!
Post edited at 16:40
 EddInaBox 09 Jan 2015
In reply to Fredt:

I use the Ikea rechargeables, not the highest capacity cells about, but low self discharge and only £4 for a pack of four AAs or AAAs. Their alkaline batteries are cheap too.

As mentioned above, the Technoline BC 700 charger is good, sold under a number of different badges: Technoline, LaCrosse, AccuCell, Voltcraft, AccuPower, etc.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...