Gritstone grovels

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Offwidth 16 Oct 2003
I'm knocking up some more lists and before I get too carried away I wonder if people have any to add: Rule must be given VS or below or be ungraded plus have warnings if dangerous:

Named Caving Style routes:

Easy Chimney M @ Bamford
Connelly's Variation (Ladder Gully) M @ Burbage South
Cave Gully HD Gardom's edge
Burgess Crack (inside route) D Stanage
Telescope Tunnel D @ Birchen
The Flue M @ Wharncliffe
Queens Parlour Chimney (inside route) S @ Black Rocks
Wall Chimney (Inside finish) HVD @ Burbage North
Cave Crawl S 5a @Froggatt

Other peak caving style trips:

The clefts behind Doddle @ Higgar Tor
The through route @ Rowter Rocks
Through the hole on the big detached pillar at Long Johns Stride @ Wharncliffe
Holes and Right Turns at the top Of Easy Gully @ Hen Cloud
The cave behind Mercury Crack @ Stanage
Behind Wall End Slab @ Stanage
Behind Ash Tree Wall @ Burbage North
The through route (best right to left) behind the Fina block @ Stanage
Gynaecology C3 (right of Apparent North area climbs through the back a cleft) @ Stanage
Through the hole on Dover's Wall Route 3 @Stanage

OP Offwidth 16 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

Some more:

Short tight squeezes on routes:

Captains Crawl M @ Birchen
The Cleft (back exit) M @ Bamford
Troglodytes Route D @ Bamford
Raven Rock Gully D Roaches
Capstone Chimney (inside route: plantation area) @ Stanage
Under Sifta's quid HS @ Roaches
Chockstone chimney D @ Stanage
Helfenstein's Struggle D @ Stanage
Canyon Climb (Inside route) D @ Higgar

Real Tight squeeze chimneys

Fat Man's Chimney D @ Black rocks
Torpedo Tube D @ Birchen
Additive Chimney S 4a @ Stanage
Oracle VS 4b @ Curbar
Straight Ahead VS_ @ Stanage
Every Mans Misery VS 5a @ Burbage South

Clefts ,Stomach traverses and other weirdness:

The cave behind @ Shining Cliff
Ludchurch the ultimate gritstone cleft?
The loop path through the 3rd Robin Hood Quarry
Overhang Buttress Ordinary VS 4b@ Gardoms
Hasta la Vista VD @ Bamford
Cascade Climb HS @ Wharncliffe
The Raunch VS 4b @ Black Rocks
OP Offwidth 16 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

Apologies to my Yorkshire pals. that should be Peak Gritstone grovels I dont know Yorkshire well enough.
 Fiend 16 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

You are a sick, sick man.

The cave squirm behind the pleasant slabs between The Keel and The Matterhorn @ Almscliff. Hard to find and harder still to believe you can go all the way through. Thanks to Hosey for that one =)
In reply to Offwidth:

Pity it's just gritstone grovels you are listing, because one of the classics of the Peak is surely the tunnel-like cave that goes right through Windy Buttress at Stoney Middleton from about halfway along Windy Ledge.

Bertram's Chimney at Beeston Tor has its fans too!
 sutty 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

Excellent, I will put those in my book as routes not to do with my stomach

Starvation Chimney at Wimberry is a starter for Yorkkshire
OP Offwidth 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Is that the Keyhole Cave? Trouble with limestone is there are too many and you usdually end up caked in mud from nostrils to whatever. The Delph is good on a wet day and more unusual for limestone: a mini canyon ending in a carpark in Eyam.

In reply to Fiend and Sutty.

May as well put some yorkshire ones on this thread as well, where is Hosey when you need him? I'm bound to finish the peak below HVS sometime before I retire and start ticking everything up there. The first lists however will be ten in each category, in approximate grade order, that I've done or got stuck in but watched someone get through, on peak grit.

Anyone done the twopenny tube at Kinder downfall?
chris tan 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

Mercury Crack, Dovestones left quarry!

Squirmer's Chimney, Whimberry Rocks

< Usual laugh follows>
Li'l Zé 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

There's at least one serious squirm at Wimberry. Forgotten the name.
Li'l Zé 17 Oct 2003
In reply to chris tan:
That'll be the one.
chris tan 17 Oct 2003
In reply to sutty:
>
> Starvation Chimney at Wimberry is a starter for Yorkkshire

Oooi! It's south Lancs!! Not Yorksh...
 Richard J 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:
Not strictly gritstone, but Ina's Chimney, Ina's Rock, Lower Churnet Valley (severe) is an excellent grovel through the bowels of the crag, with a fine finish out of a hole next to a rhodedendron thicket.
 craig h 17 Oct 2003
In reply to chris tan: Its still officially in the West Ridding of Yorkshire
chris tan 17 Oct 2003
In reply to craig h:

Pah! Yorkist land grabbers
Alison Bond 17 Oct 2003
In reply to chris tan:

Chris, what was that unpleasant crack you forced me up at Robs Rocks? i'm sure that could qualify as 'squirmy'!

Fun tho, and certainly 'character building',

Ali x
 Simon Caldwell 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:
Named - Deep Cleft (M) (Bamford) stick to the back of the chimney.

Unnamed route left of black slab at Wharncliffe. There are 2 chimneys, the route is up the left one. About Mod.

craig h 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Alison Bond: If its what I`m thinking its Ylnosd Rib. Good fun but tight. Another tight route is Scratchnose Crack at Standing Stones.
johncoxmysteriously 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Richard J:

Isn't that stuff gritstone? What is it, then?
johncoxmysteriously 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Actually, that reminds me, there is an excellent squirm at the point where the path up to Bamford makes the final ascent on to the plateau. I couldn't do it, but I felt like I might have been able to if there hadn't been a dead fox in the back of it.
Alison Bond 17 Oct 2003
In reply to craig h:

Ylnosd Rib... that's the one. It was like being reborn, and not in a good way!
OP Offwidth 17 Oct 2003

Thanks, just checked my notes and there is no mention of a through route. I'll try it next time I'm there.

75 Chimney and Crack VS 4c no more than S 4a.
Climb the left chimney until progress is blocked and swing right up the beefy cracks. The original VS may have been a very artificial eliminate.
75a Black Slab Chimney HD 3a
This unrecorded climb takes the right chimney on reasonable holds.

Richard J 17 Oct 2003
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:
I think the lower churnet valley is triassic sandstone (the same as Frodsham). It's magnificent stuff, whatever it is.
 Simon Caldwell 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:
> 75a Black Slab Chimney HD 3a
This unrecorded climb takes the right chimney on reasonable holds.

Yes, the one I mentioned is the shorter chimney to its left. I had to take my helmet off to fit through the hole though
chris tan 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Alison Bond:
>It was like being reborn,

Young 'uns! I don't remember that far back
 craig h 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth: There is (I think the longest) gritstone stomach traverse at Standedge Quarry in the old West Ridding of Yorkshire - now Lancs, also a superb stomach traverse at the Ravenstones, but can`tremember the name.
Gabba 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth: Armed, Dangerous & Off Medication at an outlying crag to Brimham - AFAIK it actually gets a caving grade, good laugh though - squeeze through small tunnel and head for the light, headjamming a useful technique
Alastair Hudson 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

The through hole on Dovers Wall @ Stanage?
I remember that rather well.
I'm usually quite good at that sort of thing, but that time I got stuck. I remember trying to work out where they'd have to put the large jacks. Luckily my shirt got torn off by one of the bystanders. And when they'd stopped laughing helped drag me out.

After a few other volunteers from the group had been through we wrote it up in the routes book.

Have you done this now Offwidth?

A.
OP Offwidth 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Alastair Hudson:

I too got stuck but not so far in I couldnt extracate myself. I'm not such a slim lad but will still try again next time I'm there. Trouble with these routes is you sometimes end up with weird chest bruising so you need a cooling off period before another go.
Alastair Hudson 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:
The record in our group was Seb Price; about 6 seconds from entry to exit.
What a thrutcher!

A.
Bob Dulieu 17 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

Some spring to mind,

Hasta la vista Bamford,
Oblique chimney Cratcliffe,
Westons Chimney Cratcliffe,
Cave route Turning stone edge,
Fat mans chimney Black rocks

There are many others.
 stuartf 19 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

How about the top "pitch" of Inverted Staircase (D) at the Roaches - a lovely squirm up behind a pile of boulders. The rest of the climb's rather nice too, but doesn't qualify as a grovel.
OP Offwidth 20 Oct 2003
In reply to Bob Dulieu:

The tight upper section of Westons was clearly climbed by its excellent right arete, from the polish and photgraphic evidence in the Chatsworth guide, so Ive left the squirm for another day (I think I need two more there including ticking the remaining low grade stuff at RHS). Fat mans I must put in the tight chimney section but its much easier than its reputation would have you think. Not done Cave Route or Oblique. I thought I put Hasta La Vista in the stomach traverse bit (more of a crawl really), the tight chimney below is the crux but is best exited for as soon as possible if you dont want to get stuck!

In reply to stuartf

Thanks, almost forgot that one!
 lummox 20 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth: Taking up the Yorkshire mantel- the chimney to the right of Clematis and Oubliette at Almscliff and the one to the right of South Wall - both very entertaining if you are not a whippet. Also, Depseration Crack and Druid`s Climb (?)at Brimham- you end up traversing a bolck, mostly squirming on your front.

Finally, the caving at Almscliff near the Virgin boulder is not to be missed- don`t take a headtorch tho- it adds to the fun.
sue 20 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth: Yeah, desparation chimney at brimham gets my vote for most entertaining watching, and parsons chimney at almscliff a close second.
 Dave Musgrove 20 Oct 2003
In reply to sue: If you have to grovel in Parson's Chimney you must be doing it wrong. Its a classic!

Dave
 sutty 20 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

Did you ask about the twopenny tube at the Downfall, if so I did it when I first started climbing. It was fairly easy then but five uears later something had altered as it was a bit harder and the week Ian Clough died I tried it again and it seemed to have semi collapsed. So that was about 30 years ago.
OP Offwidth 20 Oct 2003
In reply to sutty:

Thanks, it gets a mention in On Peak Rock so I guessed it might still be possible.
Bob Dulieu 20 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:
> (In reply to Bob Dulieu)
>
> Not done Cave Route or Oblique.

Don't hurry!

Have fun on Straight crack at RHS, and I think Cave climb at Chatsworth edge deserves an honourable mention as well.
OP Offwidth 21 Oct 2003
In reply to Bob Dulieu: I think Oblique is down for my next visit...I'd better choose a partner more carefully than normal!
 hoseyb 21 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

please don't forget Lucas chimney S at the roaches.

or the many coat rippers at birchens edge.
OP Offwidth 21 Oct 2003
In reply to hoseyb:

Lucas and Reset portion...will both make it in one category or other....any more away from The Roaches or Birchen Ive missed?
Alastair Hudson 22 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

As long as you've remembered:

Raven Rock Gully thingy routes (I've done the Diff and VS... the E2 looks formidable) at the Roaches.

Telescope tunnel and the Captains Crawl at Birchens

I reckon you've got them covered.
Bokonon 23 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

Isolation at Rivelin.
Alastair Hudson 23 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:

Come on Offwidth; time to compile the definitive list, sorted in order of 'groveliness'.

A.
OP Offwidth 23 Oct 2003
In reply to Alastair Hudson:

Next week, Ive got work to do and a weekend trip to help organise.

It wont be definitive as I suspect there are grovels on Kinder that no one has found yet! There is also good grovels that Id prefer to keep more secret (like a peat tunnel on Black Hill) because telling too many people would wreck it...same applies to some wider grit grovels that become fun in winter conditions.
 Simon Caldwell 31 Oct 2003
In reply to Offwidth:
I've just found another one for you in the new NE Guide, at Round Crag on Blakey Ridge in the NY Moors.

"Picnic @ Hanging Rock MXS 4c - The dusty groove in the centre of the south face is unlikely to become popular...(First Ascent) Epic on sight solo wearing ski goggles...topped out totally covered in dirt..."
OP Offwidth 31 Oct 2003

Sounds great

The list has been finished for now:

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/t.php?n=62301

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...